Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > How To > Painting Miniatures

Old 03-24-2010, 04:55 PM
neldoreth

Default Warring States Yueh colour scheme?

Hey all,

Does anyone have a good (or even a poor) reference for the Warring States Chinese Kingdom of Yueh (Yue)? I have been trouble finding info... Chi'n (Qin) is easy, but I can't find anything on Yue!

Thanks
n.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Kontos

Quote:
Originally Posted by neldoreth
Hey all,

Does anyone have a good (or even a poor) reference for the Warring States Chinese Kingdom of Yueh (Yue)? I have been trouble finding info... Chi'n (Qin) is easy, but I can't find anything on Yue!

Thanks
n.
If you somewhat trust in the authors and contributors to the Warhammer Ancient Battles series of rules, "The Art of War" was a rules supplement dealing with ancient China. In the Warring States section it reads:

Qin - Black - Based on their later dynasty colour of water

Zhao - Blue - Based on a funary figure with red trimmings. The royal guard is said to have had black uniforms

Chu - Grey - Conjectural - the deep south effect

Qi - Green - Conjectural

Hann - Red - Based on the use of red flags

Yan - Brown - Conjectural

Wei - White - Conjectural

They suggest contrasting trimming colors on the cuffs, lapels, etc. Most have a light blue trim set in their color pics. The Yan are depicted with white trimmings. Chu grey with black trimmings.

Osprey Men-at-Arms shows almost all tribes throughout 1500-200BC being in either pale blue, red, or white robes/silks dependent on wealth.

Those are the only references I have. Sorry.

Frank
Old 03-24-2010, 05:34 PM
ferrency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontos
If you somewhat trust in the authors and contributors to the Warhammer Ancient Battles series of rules, "The Art of War" was a rules supplement dealing with ancient China. In the Warring States section it reads:

Qin - Black - Based on their later dynasty colour of water
The Osprey title on ancient Chinese armies suggests Qin used black flags, but the terracotta army was originally a lot more colorful than black in its clothing. I don't believe Qin used black uniforms or primarily black clothes, based on anything I've read.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Kontos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrency
The Osprey title on ancient Chinese armies suggests Qin used black flags, but the terracotta army was originally a lot more colorful than black in its clothing. I don't believe Qin used black uniforms or primarily black clothes, based on anything I've read.
Hence the disclaimer. My 28mm Qin were in blue with red trimmings.

Frank

Last edited by Kontos; 03-25-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:22 AM
marcofwar

i read as well that uniform were not certain in this period...
hard to know who 's right
Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 AM
neldoreth

That's some pretty good information there guys, thanks for the insight! So, it seems like the Yue types can be left to the interpretation of the painter to a certain degree...

Thanks!
n
Old 03-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Spanikopites

Thumbs up 'ancient chinese colours the sean way'

Waaay to much thought being put into this...

I'm painting my guys from Wu blue, cause it rhymes.

I'm painting my guys from Zhao red, cause it's an freakin' awesome colour.

And yeah, I got nothing better than what everyone else has said.
(cheers to marcofwar for joining up to chime in)
Old 03-25-2010, 03:33 PM
neldoreth

Marc Of War! Cheers for sure, first post!

As for you Span, well, I will do the standard blue with red trim for the Qin, and red (because it is freaken awesome) with yellow trim for the Yueh. That way, we can do big battle action, with two sides more or less the same colour!

Should be a party!
n.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Tony Aguilar

I build my Qin with Black Hat (Gladiator) miniatures and was very happy with the sculpts. All the information I seemed to find (in books and online) pointed me into painting the Qin light blue with red trim. In all of the sources in the cinema (documentaries on the Qin Dynasty on the History Channel, Hero, The Emperor and the Assassin just to name a few) they seem to be uniformed in black. Of course in the movies they all have some kind of cool headgear too, not top-knots as are the miniatures sculpts in production by several manufacturers. I tried to paint them black first, but they looked terrible (like I was taking a short cut and just using the primer color in order to skip a step) so I reverted to the light blue. They turned out nice after all, but I would have preferred them to look more "sinister." Black is the color of their dynasty so I opted to go with the chariots and flags in that color.

As for their enemy, I have a Chu army to build that I am planning on painting mostly red with the trim in another color. I was inspired to paint them like this based on the following clip from "Great Emperor's Concubine" (see link below at 1:40 for start of uniform scenes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4__n...eature=related

I know that all of these are guesses but at least I can draw some inspiration from other sources. I think that one of the most important things for me, is to have a look that would tie all of them together so that if they faced another Warring States Army you would be able to tell them apart.

Last edited by Tony Aguilar; 03-25-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 PM
neldoreth

Tony!

I had seen your most excellent Qin army there, and taken much inspiration from it. Funny that everyone has noted the Qin wear black though... On the Curtey's site, the Renegade site, and in the Osprey book, it shows the Qin in the exact blue outfits with red trim that you have there!

used without permission.

used without permission.

So that's what I planned to do... Tony, yours are a perfect match!

Thanks guys,
n.