Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > Discussion > Miniature Reviews

Old 08-30-2009, 12:42 PM
elliesdad

Default Roundway 15mm Granada range

Hi,

I notice that Roundway make a fairly complete range for Granada.
However, there's invariably only 1 pose per pack, and there's the added problem that I've not seen any of this range.
Does anyone have any of these figures?
For info - the range comprises:
Heavy Cavalry Code - RKM1
Jinette Code - RKM2
Mounted Crossbowman Code - RKM3
Peasant Crossbowman Code - RKM4
Foot soldier with javelin Code - RKM5
Staff slinger Code - RKM6
Hand Gunner Code - RKM7

Cheers,

Geoff - "elliesdad" (currently banished upstairs to use the PC whilst Ellie and her friends celebrate her birthday with a fancy-dress, murder mystery)
Old 08-30-2009, 03:04 PM
neldoreth

Nice @ the murder mystery party! Why weren't you playing the role of the sinister buttler

I have not seen the Granada range, but I can vouch for the Medieval Spanish range. It seems to be very closely influenced by the Granada 1492 Osprey campaign book. As a matter of fact, the knights for the Spanish are pretty much identical to the Spanish knight on the cover who is taking the Andalusian sword to the face... Not the same pose, but the same armour.

The Spanish commander is also quite nice, a king with a crown. The Spanish Jinnites looks nice as well, although their dress is very medieval Europe, and so they would take some major converting to play the role of Granadine jinnites.

I might also suggest for you some of the Spanish Mudejar figures from the medieval Spani line, as they would essential look very much like Granadine soldiers from the period, and might increase your variation in poses.

I too plan to pick up these figures in the future... If you do order them before me, I would love to see pictures. If you like, I can take some pictures of the Spanish as well...

Hope that helps somewhat at least...
n.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Tony Aguilar

Quote:
Originally Posted by neldoreth
I too plan to pick up these figures in the future... If you do order them before me, I would love to see pictures. If you like, I can take some pictures of the Spanish as well...

Please, I would love to see them as "someday" I would love to do a Late Medieval Spanish force (and I am not an Essex fan)
Old 08-31-2009, 02:26 PM
elliesdad

Neldoreth - yeah, I too would like to see pictures of your medieval Spanish if that's possible. I reckon I could be tempted to pick up the Spaniards (unless any of the poses are "odd").

About the murder mystery - I was already well aware that parents are an embarrasment to teenage children. On this occasion I agreed to follow the order to "stay upstairs" as this would allow me PC access.
Every now and then I'll threaten to embarrass her even more (especially when in public) as that seems to be a way to get her to agree to just about anything rather than risk her Dad carrying on in some unseemly fashion... Sometimes you just have to be devious.

Cheers,

Geoff.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:04 PM
neldoreth

Ah, for some reason I imagined your daughter to still be at the age where she liked to have her parents around... It's hard to shift my frame of reference, and I'm not looking forward to when I get there with my daughter!

As for the figures, here they are as requested:

The command pack, comes with two of the sword raised guys in the middle there.

The single knight sculpt. I have droves of these, and they come with the same horse as the command pack.

The light horse, I imagine it will be easy to move the javelin around to make the figs look a bit different.

The foot, not necessarily to scale with each other in the picture; I threw the images together in an editor. From left to right:
Javelin man, spearman side, spearman front, crossbowman.

Aside from the lack of pose variation, I am pretty happy with the figs, they have a great late-medieval feel and they fit the bill pretty well! It seems that most of the figures are closely based on images from the Osprey Granada 1492 book. Given the quality of these and the Navwar Medieval Persians I am confident that their Granadines are nice as well!

Hope that helps,
n.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:07 PM
neldoreth

Originally I thought the crossbowman was terrible... Like an anachronistic man from Robin Hood's merry band... But, it turns out I was wrong!

n.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:33 PM
elliesdad

Thanks for the pictures Neldoreth.

I'll try and get together an order for the Granadines and, naturally, their Medieval Spanish opponents (and some of those lovely Persians too) and see if I can place the order with Navwar this next weekend. It is awkward that Navwar only open on Saturdays and that they don't have email, but what the heck...

These Spaniards appear to have the "look" of many of the Donnington figures, but I don't know how well they'd mix.
I guess I'd better leave it at that, otherwise that's yet another avenue down which I could get diverted. The fact Donnington sell their figures singly is a big, big bonus when it comes to adding variation to elements.

Aargh.

Thanks again,

Geoff
Old 09-18-2009, 06:16 PM
elliesdad

I received the Roundway Granadines in today post. Excellent, speedy service from Navwar as I only posted the letter on Monday...
I haven't been able to take a picture, but I've scanned 'em on the printer. Unfortunately I can't currently "manage attachments" so it doesn't look like I'll be able to upload it here.

The figures are certainly of acceptable quality. The foot crossbowman and staff slinger are particularly good (what the heck I'll do with the spare staff slingers and handgunners I haven't worked out yet...).
I'm not convinced by the handgunner, as he looks a bit too modern.
Otherwise, they're a jolly good start for a Granadine army - perhaps the only thing I'll do will be to slowly gather a few figures here and there for variety.

Geoff