Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > Rules > DBA 1.0-2.2

Old 07-27-2003, 02:02 PM
<lukash>

Hi, I'm just getting into DBA and I have a question. I'm sure it has been asked a million times, but here I go.

Two opposing elements that are in mutual flank contanct and not engaged in combat are considered to be overlapping each other. What does this mean for subsequent bounds? Can one of the elements leave on its next bound or must it turn to engage?

That's it for now, thanks a bunch.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:09 PM
Ares

Quote:
Originally posted by &lt;lukash&gt;:
Can one of the elements leave on its next bound or must it turn to engage?
Either. There's nothing requiring elements in such a dispositon to engage each other.

ERic
Old 07-27-2003, 06:21 PM
<lukash>

Thanks, that's what I thought, but the rules don't "say" it.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:00 AM
xeswop

A good questiona and Eric is right on but let me add a couple of points.

Consider element that are in mutual edge contact or front corner contact to be in an "overlap position," but not overlapping. For the latter there needs to be some element in frontal contact. It's like in soccer/football where a person can be in an off-side position but is not off sides until some other event occurs, like the player's mate kicks the ball.

Second, an element cannot move into mutual edge contact intentionally unless the defender is already in frontal contact. You can not move into an overlap position, you can only move into overlapping. If an element is overlapping and its mate is forced to recoil, then it is left in an overlap position and can move or stay or engage.

[ July 28, 2003, 21:04: Message edited by: xes*** ]
Old 07-29-2003, 01:31 AM
Joe Mauloni

Quote:
Second, an element cannot move into mutual edge contact intentionally unless the defender is already in frontal contact. You can not move into an overlap position, you can only move into overlapping.
I'm confused (again!) : I seem to miss basic rules all the time.
Could you explain this in small words so I might understand?
Thanks
Joe Mauloni
Old 07-29-2003, 02:07 AM
Alan Winterrowd

As I understand it, Bob is saying that if an element is engaged to its front, then you can move into edge contact to cause an overlap. You cannot, however, move into side edge to side edge contact with an element that is not already being contacted to its front.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:34 PM
xeswop

Yes this is what I am saying [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks "Boomcoach."

See this diagram in my commentary that shows an example. I cover this situation with some detail in the commentary

A is the relevant part. B illustrates that an element can move into combat itself and also an overlap position which is then against itself.

In general you cannot move an element into a corner to corner contact or mutual side edge contact unless the enemy you contact is already in frontal contact. If you want to overlap an enemy, first make the frontal contact, then make the overlap. This may not be what people are doing but it is what the rules say:

MOVING INTO CONTACT WITH ENEMY
... Other troops can move into contact with enemy elements only if a single element or at least one element of a group ends in both front edge and front corner-to-front corner, or full front edge to rear edge, contact with an enemy element or overlaps enemy already in close combat.

Note the "overlaps an enemy ALREADY in close combat." You cannot overlap an enemy not in close combat.

Hope this helps
Old 07-29-2003, 06:07 PM
Joe Mauloni

Thanks! Yet another rule that I had missed. :
All of my DBA experience so far has been solitaire so it's easy to reinforce my own mistakes.
This forum (and your commentary, Bob) have been a great help to me. Thanks again to everyone that has taken the time to answer my newbie "dumb questions".

[ July 29, 2003, 15:20: Message edited by: Ducks Bellorum ]