Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > DBA Alts > DBA in the Age of Gunpowder

Old 09-28-2007, 06:52 AM
Paul A. Hannah

Default DBA-Hx at FallCon, "The Battle of Friedland"

Bruce McFarlane, of Edmonton, Alberta, hosted a multi-player, 15mm Napoleonic game using the Humberside Extension (DBA-Hx) rules at FallCon last weekend in Calgary. The evening's entertainment was Battle of Friedland, between the French and Russians.

Bruce had everything wonderfully organized and presented on his attractive terrain boards. Since several players were new to DBA-Hx, key info for each element in this multi-corps game was affixed to the backs of each element.

This minor, visual distraction was more than offset by how it sped play along. (Yes, the sharp eyes among you will note that the "French" in this photo are in fact Neopolitans. Bruce kindly invited me to use my Minifig Neopolitans as Lannes' Res. Corps in the game.)

Bruce said the game played along historical lines. My Reserve Corps held off the advancing Russian hordes just long for French reinforments to get into position. Here, my "French" (3Kn) cavalry boldly charge the Russian guns.

The Russians pushed hard on the French left flank, but were defeated on the right flank. Bruce said, historically, it was the other way around. In part, the Russian defeat was due to a single battery of French horse artillery, a survivor of Paul's broken Reserve Corps, that really annoyed Don Ray's advancing Russians.

Bruce's exciting game, with 8 players 10 corps, played to a decisive conclusion in under 3hrs. As Bruce noted afterward, players focused on strategy and tactics, not the rules. By consensus, Tim Hancsicsak of Calgary, shown in the first photo in the tan shirt, was voted the game's best player (FallCon's quirky format requires a "winner" in each event) for his skillful dislodgement on the French (err, Neopolitans) from the key, center hill.

Last edited by Paul A. Hannah; 09-28-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Pthomas

Default Nice!

Nice report

Nice photos

Nice figs
Old 09-28-2007, 09:48 AM
John Meunier

So, did you use a d10 for pip dice?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Grant Dyck

Great looking game! Knowing Bruce, this must have been a blast to play in. That guy is so well organized, he sets a very high bar for running events indeed.

Thanks for sharing that Paul!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Paul A. Hannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Meunier
So, did you use a d10 for pip dice?
Bruce will probably chime in with more detail, but, yes, well, sort of. I believe only the highest-rated commanders got to roll D10s for PIPs.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Jim Wright

Hey Paul,

What is the big red number on the element tags for?

Jim

[edit] After poking around I think it must be the number of recoils before an element is removed. Right?

Jim

Last edited by Jim Wright; 10-28-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Andy Swingle

wow.. That makes me want to get back into napoelonics.. Where i dont have to paint 3,000 minis to field an army! Well.. i cant stand painting part of it comes into it also.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:57 AM
Paul A. Hannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wright
What is the big red number on the element tags for? [edit] After poking around, I think it must be the number of recoils before an element is removed. Right?
Yep. Bruce McFarlane emailed me off-list and said,

"I can't seem to log on to Fanaticus, but I have read the questions. Yes, Corps Commanders were rated Poor, Average, Good and Excellent, and assigned d4, d6, d8, d10 command dice, respectively. And, yes, the "big red" number on the unit tags represented the number of recoils an element was allowed." --Bruce in Red Deer, Alberta
Old 10-31-2007, 07:05 PM
Jim Wright

Thank you.