Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > Discussion > Strategy and Tactics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Jeff's Avatar
Jeff Jeff is offline
Prefect
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 766
Default

Have you considered Phoenicians? I/35d.

0 aggression gets you a waterway and home court. Artillery gains you an interesting landing force. Lots of anti elephant troops. Solid SP center that can be force marched to the aide of the landing force. What is not to love. I was also on a BUA kick when this army was constructed.

My Hawaiians did well (as noted)because I landed 3 Blade and a PS near camps and quickly took them. Worked very well. BD are so solid in that fight.

Have you considered the Scandinavians? CB BD and options for KN and ART?
__________________
Jeff

http://littlehordes.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Martin Smith's Avatar
Martin Smith Martin Smith is offline
Praetor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 1,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Have you considered Phoenicians? I/35d.

0 aggression gets you a waterway and home court. Artillery gains you an interesting landing force. Lots of anti elephant troops. Solid SP center that can be force marched to the aide of the landing force. What is not to love. I was also on a BUA kick when this army was constructed.

My Hawaiians did well (as noted)because I landed 3 Blade and a PS near camps and quickly took them. Worked very well. BD are so solid in that fight.

Have you considered the Scandinavians? CB BD and options for KN and ART?
Yes, like the Cypriot/Phoenicians - tried the Artillery landing, but found it too vulnerable...anyway, my tenet is 'attack', and Art slows me down (though a fun rear shot from landing is almost irresistible).
Likewise the Medieval Scandihooligans - definitely not Art for me, but the Bd are good. Might pick something with some Bd, like Leidang or Sea Peoples.
Jeff, did you use the BUA to force your opponent into picking a side with WWy to rear or flank?
Martin
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Jeff's Avatar
Jeff Jeff is offline
Prefect
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smith View Post
Yes, like the Cypriot/Phoenicians - tried the Artillery landing, but found it too vulnerable...anyway, my tenet is 'attack', and Art slows me down (though a fun rear shot from landing is almost irresistible).
Likewise the Medieval Scandihooligans - definitely not Art for me, but the Bd are good. Might pick something with some Bd, like Leidang or Sea Peoples.
Jeff, did you use the BUA to force your opponent into picking a side with WWy to rear or flank?
Martin
Yes....I liked the narrow deployment area. The ART could cover out to 14 inches if you place the BUA as far as possible into the board. Nice.
__________________
Jeff

http://littlehordes.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Diades's Avatar
Diades Diades is offline
Centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Herefordshire
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smith View Post
Yes, like the Cypriot/Phoenicians - tried the Artillery landing, but found it too vulnerable...anyway, my tenet is 'attack', and Art slows me down (though a fun rear shot from landing is almost irresistible).
Likewise the Medieval Scandihooligans - definitely not Art for me, but the Bd are good. Might pick something with some Bd, like Leidang or Sea Peoples.
Jeff, did you use the BUA to force your opponent into picking a side with WWy to rear or flank?
Martin
Only use a BUA if you can guarantee to garrison it with a troop type one higher than anything that will attack it. If the opposition can field El or Ps supported Sp forget it.
Key is to be able to support a landing faster than the enemy can destroy it.
Mounted Generals important.
I like Later Crusaders. I reckon Kn will be prevalent enough to deter Bd.
Won't be there so looking forward to hearing how it pans out.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM
michael guth michael guth is offline
Centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 368
Default Wouldn't you rather go first?

I might look for high aggression. I'd rather see if my opponent had committed to a Littoral landing before I had to set up.

Also, make sure you bring a bulging waterway, otherwise the 'invader/attacker' can take 12 elements and a camp and cover the length of a waterway, killing all four elements of a Littoral landing.....

If I were hell bent on being the defender and making a Littoral landing I'd look for an army with psiloi, warband or a scythed chariot which could potentially get into action, or get the enemy in ZOC on the first turn.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Jeff's Avatar
Jeff Jeff is offline
Prefect
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 766
Default

Yep. I have landed with PS as well. The landing plus extra moves can kill a general first turn.
__________________
Jeff

http://littlehordes.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Martin Smith's Avatar
Martin Smith Martin Smith is offline
Praetor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 1,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael guth View Post
If I were hell bent on being the defender and making a Littoral landing I'd look for an army with psiloi, warband or a scythed chariot which could potentially get into action, or get the enemy in ZOC on the first turn.
Ps and Wb available, but unfortunately no SCHs, as far as I can see. Thanks for the suggestions.

Martin
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 AM
michael guth michael guth is offline
Centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 368
Default ptolematic

the elephant littoral landing is fun, and the blade in the later Ptolematic is your best camp guard if you find yourself on the defensive.....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Macbeth's Avatar
Macbeth Macbeth is offline
Primus Pilus
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 748
Default Best of both worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smith View Post
Might pick something with some Bd, like Leidang or Sea Peoples.
IV/54d the OTHER Medieval Scandinavians with some Kn, Bw a Cv and plenty of Bd but without the temptation of Art to slow you down

And they have a relatively low aggression as well.

I took 2nd place with these boys at last years Day 2 (Book 3 & 4) competiton at Wintercon in Canberra.

Cheers
__________________
Because it has my troops all over it. That makes it MINE!!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Inanna'sBoyToy's Avatar
Inanna'sBoyToy Inanna'sBoyToy is offline
Centurion
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A
Posts: 268
Default

I just got a NIB Book 4 Trap Byzantine Essex 15mm DBA army for basically free so I guess I've joined the Littoral party...
__________________
12/9/11...MARK IT! My Illyrians get their first win!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.