Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > Discussion > Strategy and Tactics

Old 02-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Prefect

Have you considered Phoenicians? I/35d.

0 aggression gets you a waterway and home court. Artillery gains you an interesting landing force. Lots of anti elephant troops. Solid SP center that can be force marched to the aide of the landing force. What is not to love. I was also on a BUA kick when this army was constructed.

My Hawaiians did well (as noted)because I landed 3 Blade and a PS near camps and quickly took them. Worked very well. BD are so solid in that fight.

Have you considered the Scandinavians? CB BD and options for KN and ART?

http://littlehordes.blogspot.com/
Old 02-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Praetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Have you considered Phoenicians? I/35d.

0 aggression gets you a waterway and home court. Artillery gains you an interesting landing force. Lots of anti elephant troops. Solid SP center that can be force marched to the aide of the landing force. What is not to love. I was also on a BUA kick when this army was constructed.

My Hawaiians did well (as noted)because I landed 3 Blade and a PS near camps and quickly took them. Worked very well. BD are so solid in that fight.

Have you considered the Scandinavians? CB BD and options for KN and ART?
Yes, like the Cypriot/Phoenicians - tried the Artillery landing, but found it too vulnerable...anyway, my tenet is 'attack', and Art slows me down (though a fun rear shot from landing is almost irresistible).
Likewise the Medieval Scandihooligans - definitely not Art for me, but the Bd are good. Might pick something with some Bd, like Leidang or Sea Peoples.
Jeff, did you use the BUA to force your opponent into picking a side with WWy to rear or flank?
Martin
Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smith View Post
Yes, like the Cypriot/Phoenicians - tried the Artillery landing, but found it too vulnerable...anyway, my tenet is 'attack', and Art slows me down (though a fun rear shot from landing is almost irresistible).
Likewise the Medieval Scandihooligans - definitely not Art for me, but the Bd are good. Might pick something with some Bd, like Leidang or Sea Peoples.
Jeff, did you use the BUA to force your opponent into picking a side with WWy to rear or flank?
Martin
Yes....I liked the narrow deployment area. The ART could cover out to 14 inches if you place the BUA as far as possible into the board. Nice.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Martin
Only use a BUA if you can guarantee to garrison it with a troop type one higher than anything that will attack it. If the opposition can field El or Ps supported Sp forget it.
Key is to be able to support a landing faster than the enemy can destroy it.
Mounted Generals important.
I like Later Crusaders. I reckon Kn will be prevalent enough to deter Bd.
Won't be there so looking forward to hearing how it pans out.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Centurion

Default Wouldn't you rather go first?

I might look for high aggression. I'd rather see if my opponent had committed to a Littoral landing before I had to set up.

Also, make sure you bring a bulging waterway, otherwise the 'invader/attacker' can take 12 elements and a camp and cover the length of a waterway, killing all four elements of a Littoral landing.....

If I were hell bent on being the defender and making a Littoral landing I'd look for an army with psiloi, warband or a scythed chariot which could potentially get into action, or get the enemy in ZOC on the first turn.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Prefect

Yep. I have landed with PS as well. The landing plus extra moves can kill a general first turn.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Praetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael guth View Post
If I were hell bent on being the defender and making a Littoral landing I'd look for an army with psiloi, warband or a scythed chariot which could potentially get into action, or get the enemy in ZOC on the first turn.
Ps and Wb available, but unfortunately no SCHs, as far as I can see. Thanks for the suggestions.

Martin
Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Centurion

Default ptolematic

the elephant littoral landing is fun, and the blade in the later Ptolematic is your best camp guard if you find yourself on the defensive.....
Old 02-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Primus Pilus

Default Best of both worlds

Quote:
Might pick something with some Bd, like Leidang or Sea Peoples.
IV/54d the OTHER Medieval Scandinavians with some Kn, Bw a Cv and plenty of Bd but without the temptation of Art to slow you down

And they have a relatively low aggression as well.

I took 2nd place with these boys at last years Day 2 (Book 3 & 4) competiton at Wintercon in Canberra.

Cheers
Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Centurion

I just got a NIB Book 4 Trap Byzantine Essex 15mm DBA army for basically free so I guess I've joined the Littoral party...