Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > Gaming > Tournaments

Old 02-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Praetor

Default Sussex Cup 2012

In case anyone missed it, there's a thread in 'News and Notices' about the Sussex Cup in Chichester at the end if the month-
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius Gothicus View Post
Sussex Cup is officially confirmed as 25th February, apologies for delay in confirming this date but wanted to try to get a cold day again.

Now don't let that start you all going on about whether a frozen sea counts as good or bad going, it's a slippery slope! Oh no I'm doing it now!
"

It's going to be themed around ' any army with Littoral home topography'.
Sure Richard will top up the details sometime - start time etc?
Cheers all
Martin
Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Centurion

Thanks for flagging up here, Martin - look forward o hearing more from the Magister Militum of Noviomagus Reginorum (hem hem)

Dunc
Old 02-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Praetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunctator View Post
Thanks - look forward o hearing more from the Magister Militum of Noviomagus Reginorum (hem hem)

Dunc
As in Claudius Gothicus, Magister Militum Noviomagus Reginorum??!! Who sed Latin waz a ded langwidge....
M

ps 5 games today vs Colin the Hittite - lost 4, won just 1 with lucky dice, Wikings vs Uggyritks...,cue Tony Curtis
Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smith View Post
As in Claudius Gothicus, Magister Militum Noviomagus Reginorum??!! Who sed Latin waz a ded langwidge....
M

ps 5 games today vs Colin the Hittite - lost 4, won just 1 with lucky dice, Wikings vs Uggyritks...,cue Tony Curtis
Or Ernest Borgnine jumping into the wolf pit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqJHqXERslM

Dunc
Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Praetor

Quote:
M

Four more games against Mr Hittite today - Ugaritics beat Later Carthaginians whose rampaging nellies were danced around by alternating HChs, Kushiite Egyptians defeated Scots-Irish, despite the Irish Ps capturing all their baggage, Trojans bested Ptolemaic 'c', no dismounting in this game and finally Ptolemaic 'd' invaded the Sea Peoples, 4 blades landing near their camp and assaulting it, killing the sea peoples general but losing eventually as the assault troops were hurled from the camp palisade....VERY close games all round. Colin won 3 / 4...I must try harder.
As a result, I still have absolutely no idea what to take to the Sussex Cup - Anyone else been trying these armies out??
Martin
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 AM
Evocati

Quote:
Four more games against Mr Hittite today - Ugaritics beat Later Carthaginians whose rampaging nellies were danced around by alternating HChs, Kushiite Egyptians defeated Scots-Irish, despite the Irish Ps capturing all their baggage, Trojans bested Ptolemaic 'c', no dismounting in this game and finally Ptolemaic 'd' invaded the Sea Peoples, 4 blades landing near their camp and assaulting it, killing the sea peoples general but losing eventually as the assault troops were hurled from the camp palisade....VERY close games all round. Colin won 3 / 4...I must try harder.
As a result, I still have absolutely no idea what to take to the Sussex Cup - Anyone else been trying these armies out??
Martin
Four great games, really interesting, but each took about an hour to play! With both sides being littoral there is a lot to think about and when landings occur battles often revolve around them leaving lots of elements stranded elsewhere. So, do you take Ugaritics with strong bad going troops plus punchy heavy chariots... or do you go heavy infantry, clump together and avoid the scary bad going... or fast moving light chariots to be everywhere all at once... such an interesting army list to play with...

With Martin having recently beaten my super strong Ptolemaics with puny Makkan!!!!!!! I am also unsure of what to take. My advice - bring that majic D6, oh and a warm sweat shirt!

Colin
Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Evocati

I think I have chosen my army, but on purely theoretical considerations. No playtesting at all yet. I hope to have time to paint the missing blades. Otherwise I will have to use Ptolemaics C, which is always a very serious proposal anyway.

Very interesting that all littoral business!

This being said, I am a bit unsure about some interps, maybe Claudius could clarify how he will run things:

- Can the group of landers consist of only one element (I think not, 2 element must touch the BU, but a bit unclear)
- Can the landing player choose to not land some or all of is elements (again, I think not, due to the wording)
- Do elements that do not land (voluntarily or not) count towards "lost" for victory purposes (I'm tempted to say yes, but not super clear)

Ciao
Arnopov
Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Centurion

Thanks for posting those reports, Martin and Colin: all most intriguing!

Have done next to no playtesting myself yet and am also undecided.

Claudius - any more details of start times and those points Arno raises?

Looking forward to it!

Dunc
Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Centurion

Default Unlikely to make it, but good questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnopov View Post
This being said, I am a bit unsure about some interps, maybe Claudius could clarify how he will run things:

- Can the group of landers consist of only one element (I think not, 2 element must touch the BU, but a bit unclear)
- Can the landing player choose to not land some or all of is elements (again, I think not, due to the wording)
- Do elements that do not land (voluntarily or not) count towards "lost" for victory purposes (I'm tempted to say yes, but not super clear)

Ciao
Arnopov
"...can reserve 0-4 elements" vs. "...at least 2 touching" (the Waterway) seem in conflict - definitely a tournament ruling required.

Surely playing with fewer elements is penalty enough? Landing is optional (given it can be prevented); non-landing elements have not been "lost" necessarily..., but I agree, a tournament ruling would help!

The other question is wrt ZoC. Recently a player attempted to land his elements in the ZoC of some of my elements without them being in a conformed position . We negotiated for them to arrive conformed at the edge (in) of the ZoC on the basis that the units "land" as a group move. What is the correct way to interpret this?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Praetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnopov View Post
I think I have chosen my army, but on purely theoretical considerations. No playtesting at all yet. I hope to have time to paint the missing blades. Otherwise I will have to use Ptolemaics C, which is always a very serious proposal anyway.

Very interesting that all littoral business!

Ciao
Arnopov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diades View Post
"...can reserve 0-4 elements" vs. "...at least 2 touching" (the Waterway) seem in conflict - definitely a tournament ruling required.

Surely playing with fewer elements is penalty enough? Landing is optional (given it can be prevented); non-landing elements have not been "lost" necessarily..., but I agree, a tournament ruling would help!

The other question is wrt ZoC. Recently a player attempted to land his elements in the ZoC of some of my elements without them being in a conformed position . We negotiated for them to arrive conformed at the edge (in) of the ZoC on the basis that the units "land" as a group move. What is the correct way to interpret this?
Ooh! A question on v2.2, how novel.

My thoughts are:

The ‘at least 2 touching it’ is in brackets. So I would read that the ‘0-4’ takes priority with the ‘at least 2’ applying only if it can, i.e. two or more elements.

If you wish to choose to reduce your army by a number of elements I am sure your opponent will not complain, but are they ‘lost’?

From the book:
‘Elements that recoil, flee or otherwise move across a battlefield edge count as lost’

It does not cover the ‘never arrived’ scenario. I would tend to go down the route of they are lost, but that is only because it feels right.

The landing elements arrive as a 1PIP group move. I would say that they are positioned on the field as a littoral landing but any subsequent movement is governed by the ZoC restrictions. Diades, not sure what you mean by a conformed position, they can remain as they are as long as they don’t move.

Some of us will win and some of us will lose, The strong will survive.
Some of us will fall, Some of us won't get out of here alive.