Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > Discussion > Miniature Reviews

Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Primus Pilus

Default Lurkio Italian Ostrogoths

Justinian and the Reconquest of the West is a period that has always appealed to me and when Lurkio released some Italian Ostrogoths I couldn't help myself.

Opened the box and was surprised with a nice little freebie, dice! Can never have too many. Also a hint sheet for those who wish to attempt to re-spear these little men and their tiny, tiny hands.

All the figures were divvied up into their various troop types in zip lock bags with their bases.
The command pack included the Gothic general ( my new Attila) and a very nice Draco.

Armoured riders. Four variations of rider, two slight variations of the horses.

Unarmoured riders. Three variations of riders, two slight variations of the horses. One variation has the rider wearing sandals, a nice touch that I don't recall seeing in any other range. A small reminder that the Empires fabricae didn't just stop because the Emperor was given the boot.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:36 AM
Primus Pilus

Spearmen. Three variations all in helmets, one in mail shirt. Will depict dismounted riders nicely.

Archers. Meh, who cares. They're only along to make the important people look more important.

Figures are all very crisp with next to no flash as you would expect from a new range. Sculpting, in my picky opinion, is excellent and I look forward to painting them.

Some minor gripes that I don't imagine will be noticeable once painted.

The heads on the archers seem to be slightly small and out of proportion with the body. The torsos and heads of some of the riders seems slightly small and out of proportion with the legs and horse. Although I do think the horse should be a little bit smaller, something I think most ranges are guilty of. Everyone seems to ride gigantic thoroughbreds. Then there is that odd figure looking to the Gods that I imagine everyone has already noticed.

I do like to re-spear. Being used to larger Essex figures and with a 1mm drill bit, I have found this to be quite a challenge. I'm painting the spearmen at the moment and just managed to drill the hand on six of the eight. The other two were mangled and I had to create new hands.

I like them.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Primus Pilus

Default Comparison pics

The following are various comparisons with other in period manufacturers.

Old Glory Goth with Lurkio either side. The horse is of a size with Lurkio but the rider is noticeably bigger. Or perhaps it's just the big hat. On the right is the odd 'looking to the Gods for guidance' pose.

Chariot Goth this time. Chariot horse slightly smaller (on the money for a 15mm horse for this period in my opinion) than Lurkio, riders seem of a size. A good(ish) match.

Essex Lombard. Probably a poor choice on my part to use this for comparison. It looks like a good match for Lurkio, but generally, Essex have very large horses. My Huns, for instance, look like they are riding those magical horses from Krull.

Dracos. I love a good Draco! Pass of the North above the Lurkio version.

Last edited by peleset; 08-30-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Spelling as always
Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Primus Pilus

The foot. In an Italian Ostrogothic army, the guys that are along to do all the menial work in camp.

Lurkio, Gladiator Goth, Lurkio, Essex Late Roman Auxiliary Archer, Lurkio, Essex Frank, Lurkio.

A closer look at the Lurkio/ Gladiator comparison. I don't have many Gladiator figures, but they look like a good enough match that the foot and mounted can be intermingled on the same base. Also a reminder of just how well sculpted many of the Gladiator ranges, by the same sculptor, are. I can't recall his name.

Last edited by peleset; 08-30-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Primus Pilus

The spearmen.

Old Gory in the middle.

Essex Frank.

Chariot Goth. A good match for height and proportions, will go together well.

Gladiator Goth. Another good match, just a pity this is the only pose in that range outside the command pack.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 AM
Primus Pilus

Peleset,

Great review! Thanks for the time and effort you put into it. The side by side comparisons are awesome.

Do you have any of the Bauda Lombard figures? They may mingle well with the Lurkio minis too.

(formerly known as CadianEversor)
Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Primus Pilus

I'm afraid not. I used all the the manufacturers I had from around that period.
Though I was thinking of putting comparision pics in my albums and update it as I acquire new samples.

Last edited by peleset; 08-31-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:30 PM
Augustus

Pity that some of them have the pin-head sculpts. But looks like a bit of green stuff to fluff up their hair-dos would visually correct it.

Thanks for doing up the pics!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Centurion

Default Re: Lurkio Italian Ostrogoths

Hello
I am under the impression that Gladiators Goth range were sculpted by Josef Ochmann (not entirely sure of the spelling) along with the Huns, Late Romans and Feudal ranges.
Thanks for putting up the comparisons. This is always useful when one is looking for putting together large Warband armies.
Kind Regards
Derek
Old 09-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Centurion

Very useful comparisons.
I've found that the comparison picks are probably the most accessed ones on my blog, so yours will be helpful for lots of folks.