Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > Discussion > News and Notices

Old 05-23-2016, 06:53 PM
Praetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbawilliam View Post
Well, I sent Chris a PM proposing a Facebook page for DBA/Fanaticus so the community could still connect, discuss, and post notices, etc. I would be willing to create, maintain, and moderate such a page...what does the community feel about that ?
Bill
A FB page would be great for announcements, highlighting news items, and so on, but FB isn't so great for conversations IMO. I think forums are so good because they can be multi-threaded (lots of different discussions can go on at once without it becoming chaotic, the way Yahoo groups are), they're durable (content doesn't go away, and you can always go back and find it easily), and they can allow each member to keep track of what they've seen already (jump back into a conversation where the latest post is, see what new topics have been started, etc.)

JMO, YMMV.

Last edited by winterbadger; 05-24-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:49 PM
Foederati

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbadger View Post
That's a start! What sort of help would you need?
I have now recreated each of the boards that Fanaticus has. They are all empty but they are there ready for people when they want to transfer.

It's sort of hard to know the longer term needs but a few things come to mind:
- For the forum - I would expect that we would need a group of Forum admins who would work on keeping the Spammers out and tending to any house keeping that needs doing. Maybe 4 or so people who are trustworthy.
- In regards to the Wiki - these are generally built by anyone who wants to contribute - with lots of folks making contributions and edits. So that would be great. I am by no means a DBA nor a history expert.
- It would also be good to know what people want to have in the Wiki. What kind of information should be there?
- I would think the first priority might be capturing any of the Fanaticus Resources info that might be useful to keep and recreating that there.

Thoughts?

It would be great if the responsibility becomes something shared amongst many so it is not reliant on one of us being around.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:24 AM
Propraetor

Obadiah, followed your link.....I'm very impressed! As a technophobe I have NO clue how you do this stuff, but, like all the work Chris put in, it's very much appreciated.
Cheers
M
Old 05-24-2016, 03:20 AM
Propraetor

Default Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadiah View Post
OK....so I started to throw something together. Its a long way to go, but you could get the idea from this Two free sites one wiki and one forum.

Happy to hear from anyone regarding thoughts/offers to help put this together and keep the great community here together.

You can find it here: http://fanaticus.boards.net
I looked at the DBA Discussion Forum and it had all the topic areas one could wish for. Nice work.

I nearly registered but under the policy agreement I read possible fees.
I have no problem supporting websites, I do that with TMP (The Miniatures Page), but would like to know what are the fees mentioned here?

“It’s a good day for the crows”.

http://18thcenturysojourn.blogspot.com/
http://dbagora.blogspot.com/
Old 05-24-2016, 03:28 AM
Propraetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbadger View Post
A FB page would be great for announcements, highlighting news items, and so on, but FB isn't so great for conversations IMO. I think forums are so good because they can be multi-threaded (lots of differnt discussions can go on at once without it becoming chaptic, the way Yahoo groups are), they're durable (content doesn't go away, and you can always go back and find it easily), and they can allow each member to keep track of what they've seen already (jump back into a conversation where the latest post is, see what new topics have been started, etc.)

JMO, YMMV.
I agree with winterbadger here.

The current DBA Facebook page is an eye candy paradise, but like the DBA Yahoo group, relevant discussions would be quickly buried and out of sight.

“It’s a good day for the crows”.

http://18thcenturysojourn.blogspot.com/
http://dbagora.blogspot.com/
Old 05-24-2016, 03:39 AM
Centurion

I agree with others about the structure of a forum being preferable to Facebook.

Obadiah - i also followed your link and this looks very good. Do you have an idea about what sort of help you might need with this?

It would certainly be helpful if the community could have a single point of call like this - the more it gets used, the richer it will become.

Regards,

Simon
Old 05-24-2016, 03:46 AM
Centurion

Might also be worth checking out the bit about fees? When I registered, I didn't have to submit any financial information.

Simon
Old 05-24-2016, 04:50 AM
Propraetor

I've just registered using my fanaticus forum name, gregorius. Is it possible that when Chris closes down this site that the content be transferred to the new site? It would be a pity to loose such valuable content.

Cheers,

Dienekes, remarked with a laugh, 'Good. Then we'll have our battle in the shade.' - Herodotus, The Histories, 7.226
Old 05-24-2016, 05:02 AM
Evocati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadiah View Post
OK....so I started to throw something together.
You can find it here: http://fanaticus.boards.net
That looks excellent. I have registered and posted a new thread - looks straightforward to adopt from where we are...

Brilliant work.

What kind of support are you looking for?
Old 05-24-2016, 07:05 AM
Foederati

In terms of fees, the only sign of that I have seen of them is the fees that could be paid to make the forums ad free.

I have been looking around to see if there is some sort of import function to bring over the old content. (Not sure if Chris is even able to export his data).