Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > Rules > v2.2+

Old 11-13-2016, 12:57 AM
Foederati

Default Newbie List Building

Hello all,

(Listed this in 2.2 because it looks closest to the army I've purchased, as outlined below)

I am a new player that's only dabble in a few games. I want to get serious but am really confused by list building. I bought the following as an Early Samurai list:

1X3 Cv. GEN.
2X3 Cv.
5X3 Aux.
5X3 Samurai Bw.

Now that I am reading the entry for that list period (III/54), I can't figure out how this is a legal list. I clearly see the 3 cav (one of which I think can be a general) and the 5 Aux. But don't I have the wrong number of bows?

If you can help out this confused player, that would be great. Everytime I think I know how to list build and buy an army appropriately, it never seems to add up!

- netgeist

Last edited by netgeist; 11-13-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:04 AM
Primus Pilus

You have a total of 13 elements (bases with figures). Looking at the version 2 list, it seems to me that you need 3 cavalry that don't include the general. The general can either be cavalry or bow (4Bw).

There are the right number of auxilia elements.

The army list requires 3 elements (bases) of 3Bw. What I would do to make a 'legal' Early Samurai army for DBA versions 2.0, 2.2 or 2.2+ would be to do a very small amount of re-basing. I would take 4 figures from the two 3Bw elements that are surplus, and base them as 4Bw (bow with 4 figures on the base).

The same army lists are used for versions 2.0, 2.2 and 2.2+. I don't know what the version 3 army list is like. If you are going to play version 3, you might be better asking on the newer Fanaticus site:

http://fanaticus.boards.net/

This site was supposed to have been taken off-line in September. A few members post occasionally post on here, partly to try and be the last person to use the site.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:20 AM
Propraetor

in version 2 the list for III/52 is

III/54. Early Samurai. 900AD-1300AD.
Hilly. Ag: 1. E = II/77b, III/6b, 54, 56, 61, IV/48.
1x3Cv or 4Bw (Gen), (you get a choice between the two)
3x3Cv,
3x3Bw or 3Bd, (you get a mix of Bows or Blades, 3 of one, 1 of 1 and two of the other
5x3Ax.

If you are playing the current version then you get a more interesting list, base on more recent research

III/55 Early Samurai Army:
1 x General (6Cv or Cv),
3 x bushi (Cv) or bushi mounted with retainers (6Cv),
3 x bushi (6Cv orCv or 4Bw) or warrior monks or provincial bushi with naginata (3Bd),
5 x foot followers with mixed weapons (3Ax).

III/55 EARLY SAMURAI 900 AD - 1300 AD

This list covers Japanese armies from the rise of the samurai until after the Mongol invasions. Aggression is rated as low only because civil war prevented many overseas initiatives! Although “samurai” and “bushi” later became synonymous, at this period only senior warriors qualified for the title. Generals and bushi wore armour, fought with bow and “tachi” sword, closely followed by retainers mostly armed with naginata. These are best represented as 6Cv; with the foot forming the back row of the element. When dismounted to deploy as 4Bw, retainers were left with the horses.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:24 AM
Foederati

Very helpful folks...thanks!
Old 11-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Evocati

...i am also enjoying battles on the Japanese islands but during a later period:

..sen goku jidai - the Japanese unification...if you like to use your samurai army also for other Rules so you need to base the elements as simple as possible. Do not base any dobble elements. The creators of DBA are no experts in Japanese warfare. There is no Kurosawa tactic in Japanese warfare...