Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > Discussion > News and Notices

Old 08-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Imperator

Default Fanaticus News

Just a heads-up. The basic infrastructure of Fanaticus was built over 17 years ago, and the site has grown to quite large proportions (as measured in gigabits of data and bandwidth used) using software that is no longer generally supported by the hosting community. As the site got bigger and bigger...it became harder and harder to contemplate the task of rebuilding the site on a new infrastructure, and so I didn't. And now the chickens have essentially come home to roost. My ISP is no longer supporting the extensions needed to update the site and I am having trouble even accessing the site by FTP. While the technicians try to figure out what the problem is...I have been advised that even my hosting plan is outdated and about to be phased out..so now is the time to start planning a new set-up for the next iteration of "Fanaticus."

For the moment, the existing site is up and operational. You can post in the Forum and all the pages and pictures are accessible. However, the site is essentially frozen in that I can not add content (at least until FTP service can be restored). The time for change has finally come and I'm still not sure exactly what that change is going to be. As we work to resolve the technical aspects of that question...it is also time for me to consider the content aspects. How much of the old site will survive the transition to the new site? Obviously, the Forum is essential. Much of the rest of the site is out of date, and obviously not as "essential" as it used to be (e.g. Bookstore and Bazaar). And there's stuff that I'll want to keep just for fun, i.e. the "eye candy" galleries.

While I work on figuring this all out...I welcome any advice, suggestions or feedback. And also your patience, especially those who have recently sent me pictures or information they'd like to have hosted on the site.

-------------------------------

Last edited by Chris Brantley; 08-19-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Praetor

Chris,
Thanks for all your efforts and we will patiently wait for what you come up with next....

Rod
Old 08-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Evocati

First, thank you for all of your effort.

I do find the listing of miniature vendors in the Bazaar helpful. However, if it has to go, OK.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:25 PM
Augustus

Good luck with all the packing and moving work!

Things I find I've used a lot over the years: Eye Candy and Army Notes.

I used to use the Miniatures directory in the Bazaar a lot more, back when it had been sort of updated. It would be nice to keep that semi-fresh at least.
Goblinhall
Old 08-20-2015, 12:53 AM
Propraetor

Hi Chris,

Let me just say I find that the whole site is a godsend. It allows the isolated gamer like myself to keep abreast of what is happening in the DBA world. The sections that I find most useful are the Eye Candy, Bazaar, Army Notes, Tips and Guides, and most importantly the section on Banners and Flags.

Good luck with the upgrade and migration.

Cheers,

Dienekes, remarked with a laugh, 'Good. Then we'll have our battle in the shade.' - Herodotus, The Histories, 7.226
Old 08-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Imperator

Apart from the miniatures directory, is there anything in the bazaar that people find useful?

Old 08-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Foederati

Default Bazzar Section

G'day Chris,

Never really used the Bazaar. The Army Notes, however, is extremely good and so is the campaign. Good luck and the patience of Jobe with the changeover!

Stradbroke.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Propraetor

Hi Chris,

Thanks much for all your great work for the last 17 years, wow it seems like longer. So much great fun reading over all the discussions and Eye candy and stuff in the army lists.

If total amount of megabytes is a big problem, perhaps you could curtail the history at January 2013. Or even sooner. Those who are devotees of earlier versions of DBA will lose a lot of history, you will be able to serve those playing current versions. Perhaps all of the old material could be archived in someway and not kept as accessible.

Please keep up the good work and know that you are well appreciated by so many people. Even those in Korea :-)
Old 08-21-2015, 06:05 AM
Centurion

Chris,

Thanks for maintaining such a great website.

Personally, I find the eye candy a great inspiration and reference. Other favourite bits are army notes, historical battle scenarios and flags and banners in the Tips and Guides.

If you are thinking of taking stuff out, would you consider giving everyone a bit of notice so that they can save what they want before it goes?

Kind regards,

Simon
Old 08-21-2015, 07:20 AM
Imperator

Hi Simon. I expect I'll have to rebuild a new version of the site rather than deconstruct this version. In that case, I'll be able to announce a changeover date and give everyone plenty of notice. It's also possible both sites may be accessible for a period of time.

Some good aspects of this....I'm looking at new platforms and cloud hosting options that could significantly enhance the sites performance, make it mobile friendly, etc.