Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > Rules > v2.2+

Old 03-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Evocati

Sorry- not keeping up! What do you do with these? Roll a D6 add and compare? It would help we slow lackadaisical folk to write the instructions bigger.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Praetor

Roll a D6 for Invasion... high dice was the invader so the topography of the defender was used..

Roll D6 for the maneuver and the high dice set terrain.

The person that lost the maneuver roll then was able to push the terrain slightly and choose a side of the board, but was still the defender setting up first....
Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Praetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervel View Post
Roll D6 for the maneuver and the high dice set terrain.
The person/team that won the Maneuver Roll was able to choose between setting down terrain from the topography determined by the Invasion Roll or choosing angle of attack (board edge) after possibly shifting terrain pieces per 2.2+

So, there was a choice involved with winning maneuver.

DS
Old 03-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Praetor

Thanks Dave, I keep forgetting there was a choice if you won maneuver....

I also remember the only battle that was really critical was the one against "team Camel" where you definitely did not want any Dunes! So the important thing was to loose the invasion role so that you were not fighting in their terrain.

Overall, I thought it worked fine. However, I am not playing at a level where I know how to use terrain to the best advantage.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Prefect

I think the Invasion/Maneuver Ratings used in the BBDBA tournament are an improvement over the single Aggression Factor roll. It corrects quite a few anomalies, without causing any side-effects.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Praetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavane View Post
I think the Invasion/Maneuver Ratings used in the BBDBA tournament are an improvement over the single Aggression Factor roll. It corrects quite a few anomalies, without causing any side-effects.
I agree with this assessment. I think overall, it feels more accurate to separate the invasion and maneuver rolls.

That said, as "team camel" we pretty much knew that our invasion (3) and maneuver (1) precluded much chance of having dunes We only won invasion once, and didn't win maneuver at the same time, so we never saw dunes.

We could've taken LPIA City and received a lower Invasion rating; but that would have meant losing most of our camels, so dunes wouldn't have been useful if we had gotten them

Alan
Old 03-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Praetor

Well, the funny thing was we were so worried about your camels we did not even realize the huge blunder we made ignoring your blades

Then they killed us
Old 03-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Augustus

Hmm, that raises an interesting point — do aggressive camel armies get so aggressive outside of duneland?

If an army is only aggressive within its own topographical area, should it have a lower aggression rating than what would otherwise be indicated by its behaviour to it's similarly topographed neighbours?

Or do camel warlords go galloping across the steppes, or wherever their inability to sublimate takes them?
Goblinhall
Old 03-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Propraetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwilde View Post
Hmm, that raises an interesting point — do aggressive camel armies get so aggressive outside of duneland?

If an army is only aggressive within its own topographical area, should it have a lower aggression rating than what would otherwise be indicated by its behaviour to it's similarly topographed neighbours?

Or do camel warlords go galloping across the steppes, or wherever their inability to sublimate takes them?
You are being confused by nomenclature. The rating is properly named "Invasion", both for clarity and to avoid confusion with the old Aggression rating.

If a camel warlord is rated at Invasion 3 (quite high) it is exactly BECAUSE it spent most of its time invading places with better agricultural resources than where it came from.

If a camel warlord is rated at Invasion 1 (quite low), that means it spent most of its time in Dune-land, and most of its military adventures were there.

Plus the data-collection and verification for determining pools of "likely invasion topographies" would be a nightmare. Should Huns get a lower Invasion rating against Jungle terrain, because they didn't ever invade Jungle? But most Jungle opponents would get reciprocal advantages, since the Burmese never invaded any Steppe territory either. So if both of them are rated as two lower than normal, we might as well have not changed them at all. And if we're looking at it, there is no Jungle anyway -- just Forest. But if the Vikings invaded the Slavs (Forest), should that get them a reduction for raiding Burma (also Forest, but actually Jungle).

We have enough problem creating and justifying a simple Invasion rating; I shudder to think of the work involved in something like what you propose.

V2.2+ final version playsheet available at: http://www.wadbag.com/V2.2+/

Last edited by david kuijt; 03-12-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Augustus

Good answers.

My rather complete ignorance of the histories of camel riding warlords led me to raise it as a philosophical question.
Goblinhall