Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > DBA Alts > DBA in the Age of Gunpowder

Old 04-25-2012, 02:56 AM
Evocati

Default HitT Query

Hi everyone. When Greg and i played our first HitT game a couple of weeks ago, we had some queries, mainly around barrages. Would appreciate any advice....do barrage elements exert or are themselves affected by ZOCs?? Are they subject to flank overlaps??? We assume not but....also are aerials affected by enemy overlaps??

Cheers, Mark
Old 04-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Praetor

Mark,

A good questoin. I don't have my rule books handy but if you play them as written, as a god, then they are affected by the same things that can affect a god element. We felt some of this was just wrong which is one of the reasons we changed them to a Magician with some limitations and qualities. If need be I can get my rule books after work and give a more specific answer if needed.

"Did you hear what he said? 'Us Lions' That means him and me. 'Us Lions." C. S. Lewis
Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Evocati

Thanks Terry - if you could check, that would be great.

It didn't make sense to us - we don't think high explosive would care if it was overlapped!! or that ZOCs should apply - artillerymen would make whatever adjustment to their fire they liked without worrying about an enemy unit in front of where their last shell fell.

Cheers, Mark
Old 04-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Praetor

Mark,

Just got home from the salt mine and did a quick check of the HotT rules and according to what I read, on page 16 "Crossing an enemy element's front" a god element is not exempted and so that means it can be ZOCed and can be overlapped. We didn't care for that and so our addendum for a Barrage is:

1. Barrage and gas do not have front edge, so combat is considered if any edge is contracted by an element. Each edge contact is rolled for separately. Multiple enemy elements in base edge contact may count as an overlap against the Barrage or Gas element, as long as they remain in full edge contact.

2. When deploying a barrage or gas element, a D6 is rolled.

1-2 = 2 inches from any enemy element
3-4 = 1 inches from any enemy element
5-6 = may contact any enemy element

12. A barrage or gas element blocks line of sight for command purposes and for ranged fire.

13. The Barrage is now played as a Magician and moves 5 inches. It takes two pips to deploy it and two pips to move it. It can still be removed by itís enemy rolling a 6, or by another Barrage or by beating it in combat. Otherwise it can only be recoiled, or destroyed by a Bomber flying off the enemyís base edge. It fights at a +4 against all. (I am still working on the combat tables for it) Barrage - Played as a Magician: It still takes two pips to deploy, and two pips to move. It can move 5 inches and pass through any enemy or friendly troops in any direction. it's front edge is the first edge contacted in the event that multiple edges are encountered. It fights at a +4. It is destroyed if doubled and if beaten by an enemy Barrage, otherwise it just recoils.

These are just working notes of our play tests, but this is how we've been playing it. If you still have any questions or any thoughts or suggestions we are always interested in them. As John has said the Barrage is less powerful, but it seems more realistic to us because now it seems to reflect the ability of ground troops to take cover, etc. when a barrage comes in, and it no longer rules the battle.

"Did you hear what he said? 'Us Lions' That means him and me. 'Us Lions." C. S. Lewis