Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > Discussion > Strategy and Tactics

Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Centurion

Default Ugaritic advice

The PAWS tournament theme next Saturday (March 10) is 'The Hittite Empire 1300-1201 BC'.

I'm thinking of taking Ugaritic I/20 (a). Army composition has to be consistent throughout the tourney. I was wondering what composition Fanatici with experience of this army would take along? A list of the armies is posted on the Tournaments thread - "PAWS Spring DBA".

Ugaritic 1/20 (a) composition is: HCh (Gen), 3 x HCh or LCh, 3Bd, 1 x 3 Ax or 4Bd, 3 x 3Ax, 3 x Ps.

Take both Bd and maybe one LCh???

I've been looking at an older thread started by Chris Brantley discussing David Kuijt's use of Ugaritic Littoral Landing tactics at a tournament and use of terrain - all very interesting!

Thanks in advance!

Dunc
Old 03-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Praetor

Personal preference would be one LCh for a bit of speed on the flanks (rest of chariots HCh), and both Bd, 'cos they're tough, and already forced to have 3 x Ax.
Martin

also considering the Ugaritics...or Bedouin , as need to be home early, and I think Bedouin may have a strong chance of an 'early bath'.

Last edited by Martin Smith; 03-04-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smith View Post
Personal preference would be one LCh for a bit of speed on the flanks (rest of chariots HCh), and both Bd, 'cos they're tough, and already forced to have 3 x Ax.
Martin

also considering the Ugaritics...or Bedouin , as need to be home early, and I think Bedouin may have a strong chance of an 'early bath'.
Thanks, Martin - Bedouin "early bath" essential after sweaty scrabbling in the dunes

Dunc
Old 03-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Evocati

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunctator View Post
The PAWS tournament theme next Saturday (March 10) is 'The Hittite Empire 1300-1201 BC'.

I'm thinking of taking Ugaritic I/20 (a). Army composition has to be consistent throughout the tourney. I was wondering what composition Fanatici with experience of this army would take along? A list of the armies is posted on the Tournaments thread - "PAWS Spring DBA".

Ugaritic 1/20 (a) composition is: HCh (Gen), 3 x HCh or LCh, 3Bd, 1 x 3 Ax or 4Bd, 3 x 3Ax, 3 x Ps.
Dunc
Dunc, as long as you take your mounted into bad going and expose the flanks of your heavy infantry for those of us with more mobile armies to exploit, you'll be fine!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diades View Post
Dunc, as long as you take your mounted into bad going and expose the flanks of your heavy infantry for those of us with more mobile armies to exploit, you'll be fine!
Thank you, Diades, that is most treasurable advice!

Dunc
Old 03-05-2012, 05:28 AM
Evocati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smith View Post
Martin

Have been looking at Ugaritics myself and very much agree with Martin. However, winning with Early Bedouin last week against NKE gives another illustration of just how many other factors their are to contend with and how unpredictable games can be! So, will anyone be brave enough to bring Bedouin? Now, if their aggession was lower, or if there were no heavy chariots around, I might be tempted. It would be a novelty to see a camel general at a competition. I don't suppose there are enough armies for a Sussex theme?

Colin
Old 03-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Prefect

From playing experience take both blades, the LCh gives you a faster element, but the HCh more strike power, so that is probably a personal choice.

It pays to get the terrain choice, at Chichester I got it once in six games.

David Constable

Forget DBA3.0, 2mm blocks is where it is at, every army in your lunch box.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 AM
Praetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Constable View Post
It pays to get the terrain choice, at Chichester I got it once in six games.

David Constable
I got terrain 0 times/6 at Chichester this year, that's aggr 4 for you !!
M
Old 03-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin the Hittite View Post
Have been looking at Ugaritics myself and very much agree with Martin. However, winning with Early Bedouin last week against NKE gives another illustration of just how many other factors their are to contend with and how unpredictable games can be! So, will anyone be brave enough to bring Bedouin? Now, if their aggession was lower, or if there were no heavy chariots around, I might be tempted. It would be a novelty to see a camel general at a competition. I don't suppose there are enough armies for a Sussex theme?

Colin
Probably not enough with a camel general (four, maybe), but I would have thought enough armies simply containing camels. Last chance before they change significantly (2.2+ or 3.0)
Scott