PDA

View Full Version : Interested in DBA campaign over the Web?

John Meunier
06-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Is anyone interested in using the Web to organize an online campaign?

Here's my plan (if we have 5 other players):

I'll set up a Google Group - or similar - to handle map posting and communications and coordination. Then we'll play out a DBA campaign by the book. (I'll do the die rolling to determine who goes first.)

Players could communicate through the group or privately via e-mail. But to simulate one aspect of play in a "face-to-face" game, I'll ask that anytime players engage in private e-mail diplomacy or negotiation they send an e-mail to the entire group that says something like: "The Senate in Rome dispatches ambassadors to Syracuse." That way everyone will know you are talking, but not about what. (The honor system will obviously be the only way to enforce such rules.)

When battles occur, players can round up friends to play them out and report the results back to the group.

I would act as referee and manager to make sure the sequence happens.

If there are takers, I'll set up a Second Punic War campaign.

Kontos
06-15-2010, 04:39 PM
I am certainly game. My only concern is I have no armies in that war unless we can move forward to "Rome Expands" where I have Seleucids and Macedonians. Let me know. Sounds like a great idea and a reason to fight battles. :up

Frank

Paul Potter
06-15-2010, 04:45 PM
I would join in. Not sure how the battles with a friend would work out-does that mean we would not be fighting against other members of the campaign?

instead of the google route could you handle it here on the forum?-that way evan if I did not participate I could watch what is happening.

John Meunier
06-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I would join in. Not sure how the battles with a friend would work out-does that mean we would not be fighting against other members of the campaign?

instead of the google route could you handle it here on the forum?-that way evan if I did not participate I could watch what is happening.

It could be done here most likely.

As for battles, since we likely won't live near each other, it would have to be "round up a buddy" and play.

Again, the honor system would be important here. You have to play against someone who stands a chance of beating you. I'd also say no player would ever go two battles in a row without getting to command his or her own army.

This is not ideal, but unless you have a teleportation device, I'm not aware of a better option.

If someone could think up a good process, I'd be happy to consider an alternative.

John Meunier
06-15-2010, 05:24 PM
I am certainly game. My only concern is I have no armies in that war unless we can move forward to "Rome Expands" where I have Seleucids and Macedonians. Let me know. Sounds like a great idea and a reason to fight battles. :up

Frank

I don't see any way around people having the armies or having friends who have them.

John Loy
06-15-2010, 07:15 PM
I'd give it a try:up

John

Mark Davies
06-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Sounds interesting. I'd be keen.

miros
06-17-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm interested.

Tony Aguilar
06-17-2010, 01:51 PM
As for battles, since we likely won't live near each other, it would have to be "round up a buddy" and play.

This alone keeps me from participating, as all of my DBA gaming takes place at conventions due to lack of opponents where I live.

Chris Brantley
06-17-2010, 03:22 PM
I've thought about doing something similar in terms of an on-line campaign..setting up the scenario and farming out the roles of the rulers to interested on-line correspondents.......but as the campaign umpire refighting all the battles myself (with a local gamer) and reporting back the results.

For the players, this would put the emphasis on campaign strategy and diplomacy rather than actual gaming, however. It would also require owning all the armies represented in the campaign.

neldoreth
06-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Indeed, Tim in Saskatoon (http://saskminigamer.blogspot.com/) as run a number of HotT campaigns in exactly the way Chris Brantly describes; players act as heads of state, and he assigns local players to be their generals. They fight and the outcome of the battles are reported on his blog.

I played in two of his campaigns, and they were an extremely good time for me. I loved the play by play action on his blog, and also the wheeling an dealing behind the scenes was fantastic.

I also played in a DBA email/web campaign that Bob in Edmonton (http://www.edmontonwargamegroup.com/) ran. It was equally as fun, and much chaos ensued! Perhaps you could get some tips from those guys?

Fun times! I look forward to seeing this come together!

n.

tors
06-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Me too please :2up

Kingo

John Meunier
06-17-2010, 05:35 PM
I like the system Chris describes, but part of my thought process is letting people in the campaign play the games.

I do own all the armies, so I could do it the way Chris describes.

Walleye
06-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Do you have 6 players yet? If not, you can sign me up. Also, I have 3 of the 6 armies and can definitely morph the rest. Have a live-in wargaming opponent, too (aka my wife Ginny). Both of us have DBA experience stretching all the way back to Ver 1 in 1990. If there's no room in the campaign, we'd volunteer to play out some of the battles for those who lack opponents or armies.

This approach sounds a lot like the old Tony Bath Hyborian postal campaign, where players handled the diplomacy and strategy and Bath and his friends played the battles. Worked great back then.

John Meunier
06-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Looks like there is enough interest. I'll try to spend some time putting together the details and will set up a thread here on Fanaticus for those who want to play.

Ed Dillon
06-18-2010, 02:42 PM
I've thought about doing something similar in terms of an on-line campaign..setting up the scenario and farming out the roles of the rulers to interested on-line correspondents.......but as the campaign umpire refighting all the battles myself (with a local gamer) and reporting back the results.

For the players, this would put the emphasis on campaign strategy and diplomacy rather than actual gaming, however. It would also require owning all the armies represented in the campaign.

Chris, I like your idea but prefer a modification. How about an Internet (strategic) ref gathers the Kings (Internet players) while a local club actually plays the game. Each army has an assigned general who then fights the battles his (or her) King sends him/her off to fight. Of course, the Kings should have the right to sack and replace a sub-par general.

After that, rules for the campaign could be the ones from the book or others, made up by the ref(s).

In the right hands, the right-ups could be classic!

Ed

Texus Maximus
06-18-2010, 09:20 PM
I have all six of the armies needed and local opponents. I would like to participate.

EDIT - I checked the army lists and found I don't have the Italian troops. I will order some this week. They should not take too long to paint up.