PDA

View Full Version : Tributaries - An Analysis of their benefits

neldoreth
11-05-2009, 11:03 AM
So,

Thanks to Tim, who has most graciously allowed me to play in a number of email based HotT campaigns, Bob who has similarly allowed me to take part in his campaigns, and for the campaigns that I have run, I have come to the conclusion that becoming a tributary overlord has its ups and downs.

Let's look at the downs:

As an overlord, you have to manage your tributaries. They can be wily, and mess you up if you are not careful and very explicit!
You can't trust any allied contingents that you call up from them! They can get behind your lines and mess you up without even being your enemy!
You get pulled into their wars as well as your own. Even if you disallow them from warring, they can be invaded.
If one of them breaks free you can suddenly have an enemy withing the confines of your empire!

Let's look at the ups:

They provide mondo prestige points for cities.
If they ally with you, they can be valuable! It happens, not often, but sometimes!
Their kingdoms buffer your own from your enemies, unless they are suddenly released from your overlordship, as mentioned above.

So, for me, there is only one reason to capture a kingdom's capitol: to neutralize a real threat to your kingdom. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time and energy!

Do you agree with me here? Am I wrong? Let's discuss!

n.

Rich Gause
11-05-2009, 12:13 PM
The idea of your vassals allied contingents sending their troops behind your line to block your elements recoils so you lose the battle would be enough to make me very wary of calling any vassals to participate in a battle especially if they had any light horse in their army(in DBa not HOTT).

neldoreth
11-10-2009, 02:05 PM
I have yet to actually see it done, but I have heard of the intention of getting allied contingents to block recoils on two occasions. Not to take credit for it, but both times it was my idea, but there was never a chance to actually carry out the tactic ;)

So what are the advantages? You can keep immediate enemies from attacking you if you can capture their capital. You get prestige points for them.... Is it worth it in the campaign situation? Likely... even with the drawbacks of having to manage them. Why?

Well, I think that even a broken army (7 elements or less) can attack cities and lay sieges. Sure, they would be in trouble if caught for battle, but they can pester you! Subjugating them stops that, even though you risk losing control of them if they are freed for whatever reason...

It's fun anyway :)
n.

TWR
11-13-2009, 08:46 PM
An interesting thread.

Are the HotT campaign rules different from the DBA campaign rules?

From the games I've played we reduced the Allied contingent down to a single PIP, instead of his own dice. Any additional PIPs must be allocated to the allied contingent from the main player's PIP die rolls.

We also have the allied contingent deployed on table at the start of the game.