PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for basing?

Kontos
11-15-2008, 11:15 AM
I am building a 25mm HoTT army. I have 3mm thick Litko bases. For my theme, I was thinking of basing them as if they were on blood-stained marble floors. Any ideas on how I would go about this theme for my bases? Thanks.

David Kuijt
11-15-2008, 11:51 AM
I am building a 25mm HoTT army. I have 3mm thick Litko bases. For my theme, I was thinking of basing them as if they were on blood-stained marble floors. Any ideas on how I would go about this theme for my bases? Thanks.

Easiest thing in the world, Frank.

Buy an appropriate plastruct plastic sheet for your marble floors. Pearl Art Supply in Rockville has lots; the Hobby store opposite it also has lots; I don't know what is available in Warrenton or near it, but there's got to be something similar.

Use contact cement (or Goop) to glue your bases down to it. When the glue is dry, trim the plastic sheet to the edges of your marble floors.

Paint as marble.

Paint blood spatters.

Seal the bases. I suggest just painting them with dip -- it will give you a very good slightly irregular coloration and darken the hollows. Let dry.

Cut your Blood of Vol dudes off the bases at the feet (very carefully!) and use crazyglue to glue them down to the bases as desired.

The last step is a little scary, but works very well once you get the hang of it. All my armies are done that way. Crazyglue works excellently on the plastic in which the DDM figs are made.

Then your army will be finished, and ready to go down to horrible demoralizing defeat against my armies.:up

Kontos
11-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Easiest thing in the world, Frank.

Buy an appropriate plastruct plastic sheet for your marble floors. Pearl Art Supply in Rockville has lots; the Hobby store opposite it also has lots; I don't know what is available in Warrenton or near it, but there's got to be something similar.

Use contact cement (or Goop) to glue your bases down to it. When the glue is dry, trim the plastic sheet to the edges of your marble floors.

Paint as marble.

Paint blood spatters.

Seal the bases. I suggest just painting them with dip -- it will give you a very good slightly irregular coloration and darken the hollows. Let dry.

Cut your Blood of Vol dudes off the bases at the feet (very carefully!) and use crazyglue to glue them down to the bases as desired.

The last step is a little scary, but works very well once you get the hang of it. All my armies are done that way. Crazyglue works excellently on the plastic in which the DDM figs are made.

Then your army will be finished, and ready to go down to horrible demoralizing defeat against my armies.:up

Thanks, David. The hard part is "Paint as marble"? The easiest part is the total absorbtion of your elitist sect into the ranks of Vol. :D

David Kuijt
11-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks, David. The hard part is "Paint as marble"? The easiest part is the total absorbtion of your elitist sect into the ranks of Vol. :D

1) there are some primers on the web for painting as marble. Actually, you can probably look around Michael's Crafts and find some kits for painting fake marble -- there are three colors, and if you look on the back the instructions are detailed enough that you can internalize them and do it yourself at home without even bothering to buy the kit.

2) I snort with disdain

Kontos
11-15-2008, 02:13 PM
1) there are some primers on the web for painting as marble. Actually, you can probably look around Michael's Crafts and find some kits for painting fake marble -- there are three colors, and if you look on the back the instructions are detailed enough that you can internalize them and do it yourself at home without even bothering to buy the kit.

2) I snort with disdain

Here's a tissue. :D