PDA

View Full Version : Roman Civil War

Stephen Webb
03-30-2008, 03:18 AM
Ian and I started the campaign on Tuesday night, the 25th of March 2008. Ian won the first die roll so decided to be Caesar. Therefore I became Pompey.

The Initial Forces
Ian Cassius Illyrians Lusitanians
Steve Levy Mercenary Petrius

The First Battle
As I won the die roll I chose Cassius to be Ian’s force that was at risk and the Levy to be mine.

I was defending, so placed a road, a small wood and a gentle hill. The road was in my deployment area crossing it, the hill was on my left and the wood was in the middle of Ian’s deployment area.

My initial deployment had the Petrius on the left with the Levy behind them. Pompey was on the right with the Mercenaries behind them.

Ian’s deployment had Caesar on the right, Cassius on the left and the Illyrians and Lusitanians in the wood and behind Cassius.

Whilst we both moved forward, I re-arranged Pompey’s troops so that the inferior blades were not facing the normal blades of Cassius. Or so I thought, as I had forgotten which ones were which. Ian must have thought I was being very cunning or very stupid. He did not comment until contact. I had finally seen my mistake but couldn’t correct it.

For a while both armies struggled until the inferior blades succumbed to the normal blades and Pompey gave up the field after suffering four elements lost. Caesar had lost two elements.

So Caesar was triumphant.

Losses and Reinforcements
Caesar had lost a spear from the Illyrians and an auxilia from the Lusitanians.

Pompey had lost an inferior blade from the Levy, a blade from Petrius and two inferior blades from Pompey.

Ian drew Naval Superiority and decided to keep it, rather than taking my Levy.

Comments
Ian and I were wondering if we should have used a bigger board, since we started with sixteen and seventeen elements. The width of the normal board made us keep some behind the others and allowed us to anchor our flanks on the edge of the world.

We also wondered if the four elements lost should have been increased, to cater for the larger forces involved.

Maybe the authors can comment.

Stephen Webb
04-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Once again Caesar (Ian) and Pompey (myself) faced off.

Caesar had his own forces with Cassius, the Navy and the Lusitanians. The latter were at risk. Pompey had his own forces, Petrius, the Levy and the Mercenaries. The Mercenaries were at risk.

We had decided to use a 3' square board this time and it worked much better.

As Caesar was defending, Pompey had to invade with a waterway at his back (due to Caesar having the Navy). There was also a marsh, a steep hill (due to Caesar having the Lusitanians) and another marsh running in a diagonal line from Pompeys left to Ceasars left.

Pompey deployed from left to right with Petrius, the Levy, Pompey and the Mercenaries. The intent was to attack with the left and refuse the right. Ceasar deployed from left to right with Caesar, the Lusitanians, the Navy and Cassius.

Both sides advanced with Pompey refusing his right flank. Eventually Petrius and the Levy reached Cassius and the Navy, whilst some of Pompey's forces and the Mercenaries disputed the steep hill with the Lusitanians and some of Ceasar's forces.

Amazingly, the inferior blades kept forcing the superior blades back, whilst Pompey survived an attack by Ceasar. Eventually the Lusitaninas lost a Psiloi, the Navy an Auxilia and Ceasar a blade on the steep hill. Then Ceasar himself was forced to recoil by Pompey into a Mercenary Auxilia which had placed itself behind him.

Pompey thus turned the tables and now both sides have won a battle. Pompey received Cleopatra as his re-inforcements, which should help in the next battle. Ceasar has also lost the only mounted element that either side has had, as well.

Stephen Webb
05-11-2008, 04:03 AM
Ian (Ceasar) and I (Pompey) had our third game in the campaign.

Ceasar placed his Naval contingent at risk and Pompey chose Petrius.

It would be an interesting battle as Pompey would field fourteen elements to Ceasar's ten. But Pompey still had a number of inferior blades and more auxilia, so had to be careful in direct combat.

The battlefield had a road travesing Pompey's deployment zone and a wood to his right. A gentle hill was central and another wood to Ceasar's left.

Pompey placed himself on the right with Cleopatra. On the left were the mercenaries and the levy. Ceasar was on his left, then the Illyrians, Cassius and the navy.

Both sides attacked with their right and withheld their left flank. Eventually both moved out of command. It became a race to see which won. After many turns Pompey and the levy had each lost an inferior blade, whereas Ceasar had lost a blade, Cassius a blade and the Illyrians their spear and auxillia. Fortunately for Pompey the mercenary auxilia survived many attacks and were almost pushed onto their camp, whilst the other forces managed to flank a number of spread out elements of Ceasar's forces.

Pompey received Varus as a re-inforcement, so will again outnumber Ceasar for the next and possibly the last battle.

Stephen Webb
06-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Caeser has capitulated without another battle...

Too bad, I wanted to smash him with fourteen elements to eight...

Stephen Webb
06-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Victor and I played this campaign again on Firday night.

He was Caesar and I was Pompey (again).

In the first battle, Ptolemy's knight ran over Caesar in the first combat.

In the next two battles Caesar's forces used the road to attack one flank of Pompey's larger army. Winning in both cases.

For the last battle I choose to place both Imperator's at risk. If I had lost a third battle, I would lose the campaign, but now, if I won, I would win the campaign.

In the first round of combat, Pompey's veteran blades destroyed Ptolemy's warband and knight, plus two of Caesar's veteran blades, ending the battle and campaign.

We both enjoyed the games and we were able to finish all four battles in less than three hours.

I will probably play this again, as some of the bystanders were interested in playing as well.

All in all a successful campaign.