PDA

View Full Version : Horse Whispers

Macbeth
03-08-2007, 08:17 PM
On Sunday 25th February we started our club campaign. It will run with one session per month until October with a break in May for the 'About Face' tournament.

This year the campaign is Trojan and Egyptian wars - the armies arrayed so far are
I/26a Later Mycenaean and Trojan Wars - Ahcaian
I/26b Later Mycenaean and Trojan Wars - Trojan
I/22a New Kingdom Egyptian
I/24a Hittite Empire
I/28 Sea Peoples
I/20b Syro Canaanite
I/7b Early Libyan
I/27 Early Hebrew
I/6b Early Bedouin

There are three prominent Fanatici in the game Myself running the Libyans, Aristonicus running the Sea Peoples and Andrew Ford running the Hittites.

We are using the Canberra Kriegspeilers usual campaign base - an outline map with unequal movement connections, goodie cards to give a level of uncertainty and the rating system to modify the prestige scores.

The first campaign sesssion went very well. A short synopsis

1200BC - Spring
Hittites invade Troy - Battle of Lyrenessus sees the Trojans hold on after losing a fortified village and having its garrison driven from the field they fight back and wipe out four elements of the Hittite army.

1200BC - Spring
Hebrews invade Egypt - Battle of Buhen. A straight stand up fight where Egypt gives the Hebrews a significant smacking. The Hebrews hightail it back to Israel.

1200BC - Summer
Sea Peoples invade Egypt with Libyan support. Egypt is given help by Canaan and the Bedouin. The epic Battle of Sais where all sides arrived in turn 1 sees the Sea Peoples triumphant - losses to Canaan and Egypt.

1200BC - Summer
Mycenae invades Troy. The Trojan war is on. Battle of Sminthe sees the Trojan luck turn. The Greeks whitewash them.

So both the isolated naval powers have a foothold on the mainland. At this juncture the prestige scores are
Sea Peoples 3.5
Mycenae 3.0
Egypt 2.9
Hittites 2.5
Troy 2.4

all others - 0

Cheers

Macbeth
03-18-2007, 07:35 PM
We have a new addition to the ranks of the Fanatici who is also playing in this Campaign.

Scott_Driscoll who is running the Moabites (Early Bedouin) has started to appear on the boards.

With nearly half the campaign's participants involved on Fanaticus I hope to see the traditional Aussie sport of 'sledging' popping up on this thread.

Cheers

Macbeth
03-26-2007, 02:12 AM
A brief synopsis of the second session of the Kriegspielers DBA Campaign (Horse Whispers).

1200BC Autumn. The Sea Peoples followed up their victory at Sais and advanced on the Egyptian capital Thebes. The Egyptians held fast behind their city walls – forcing the invaders to retire after a brief blockade before winter.

1200BC Autumn. Mycenae pursues the Trojans to the walls of Lyrenessus after their victory at Sminthe. Like the Egyptians, the Trojans take shelter behind their city walls. With the taunts of their enemies ringing in their ears, the Greeks attempt a brief assault which is repulsed and so are forced to retire before the onset of winter.

At the end of the year all forces return to re-equip and reorganise. Bonus prestige was awarded to each player on the basis of territory held and losses suffered. After battle presetige is added the table at the end of the first year is
Sea Peoples – 7.5
Mycenae – 6.0
Babylon – 5.0
Assyria – 5.0
Bedouin – 4.0
Ugarit – 4.0
Libya – 4.0
Egypt – 3.9
Hittites – 3.5
Troy – 2.4
Canaan – 2.0
Hebrews – 0.0

1199BC – Spring. Mycenae attacks the Trojans again. Battle of Lyrenessus sees the Trojans hit frontally engage the invading Greeks and their commander gaining the upper hand in a heroic duel with the enemy commander. Seeing their leader fall the Greeks break and flee to Sminthe.

1199BC – Spring. The Trojans follow the Greeks in hot pursuit to the walls of Sminthe. The Mycenaen army shelters behind the city walls and beats back a determined Trojan assault. A siege ensues.

1199BC – Spring. To draw pressure from their allies, the Hittites attack Trojan held Lyrenessus. However the Trojans ignore this attack and remain at Sminthe. Lyrenessus holds out.

1199BC – Spring. Ugarit with support from Assyria attacks the Hittites. Battle of Carchemish sees the Ugaritic army take on the Hittites in a brutal head on fight while the Assyrians fall on their flank. This disrupts the Hittite army and they break.

1199BC – Spring. Babylon sees the Bedouin as an easy target and launches an attack with support from the Hebrews. Battle of Beersheba is fought on broken ground that assists the Bedouin. The Hebrews arrive too early and are beaten in detail before the Bedouin then go out to fight the Babylonians. They suffer some losses but drive the invaders back.

1199BC – Spring. The Bedouin follow up their success and attack the Hebrews in Gezer. The Hebrews remain inside their city and the Bedouin are ill prepared to lay siege. They suffer significant casualties and roundly curse the gods for their suffering.

1199BC – Spring. Egypt moves on the Sea Peoples to recover Sais. The treacherous Libyans have now thrown in their lot with Egypt. Second Battle of Sais sees the Egyptians slowly engage the Sea Peoples trying to fight on their own terms. The Libyan warbands fall upon the exposed right flank of the Sea Peoples killing three elements and driving them back to their boats. They flee to Crete.

At the end of the session the prestige table now looks like
Bedouin – 9.7
Sea Peoples – 7.5
Assyria – 7.2
Libya – 6.3
Mycenae – 6.0
Babylon – 5.7
Troy – 5.4
Ugarit – 4.8
Egypt – 3.9
Hittites – 3.5
Canaan – 2.0
Hebrews – 0.0

Cheers

Mike Demana
03-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Sounds great!

Poor Early Hebrews. I call them the "Least Competitive Army" that I own...

Macbeth
03-28-2007, 07:52 AM
The Hebrews have had a little bit of bad luck - arriving too early as a contingent, but have also been guilty of "punching above their weight" - as in an attack on Egypt - a battle in the open Ax/Ps/Wb vs LCh/Bd/Bw.

I think they'll hold their own in defence.

Cheers

Macbeth
04-23-2007, 01:47 AM
A brief synopsis of the Third session of the Kriegspielers DBA Campaign (Horse Whispers).

1199BC Summer (Political Doings) – The Bedouin (Scott Driscoll) buy off the Babylonians and invalidate the war declaration. The Gasgans enter the campaign just north of the Hittites (Andrew Ford). Ugarit and the Hittites come to an agreement. Ugarit to retain control of Carchemish but cease hostilities. Assyria is to be blocked by Ugarit from prosecuting further attacks.

1199BC Summer – Trojan Seige of Sminthe continues. Greeks resist from the walls. The city holds out.

1199BC Summer – Assyria sidesteps Ugarit and attacks the Hittites via Gasgan territory. Seige of Kanesh commences.

1199BC Summer – Hebrews sally forth from Gezer. Bedouin withdraw before them.

1199BC Summer – Egypt sails for Sea Peoples' (Aristonicus) Cretan territory. Siege of Knossos commences.

1199BC Summer – Libya attacks Greece. Siege of Sparta commences.

1199BC Summer – Sea Peoples sail to the relief of Knossos. Egyptians withdraw before them.

1199BC Autumn – Mycenaeans sally forth from Sminthe. Battle of Sminthe sees the Trojans fight a brutal battle against the Greeks losing man for man until the Libyans arrive to the rear of the Mycenaeans and shoot the Greek commander in the back. Greeks withdraw – Sminthe returns to Trojan control.

1199BC Autumn – Assyrian siege of Kanesh continues. The city holds out.

1199BC Autumn – Sparta surrenders to the Libyans.

1199BC Autumn – Sea Peoples stage a revenge attack on the Libyans at Sparta. Egypt, the Gasgans and Troy all come to support Libya. Battle of Sparta sees the Sea Peoples army channelled into groups by steep hills. Lightly armoured Libyans spring their trap and defeat them soundly before the allies can assist.

At the end of the year all forces return to re-equip and reorganise. Bonus prestige was awarded to each player on the basis of territory held and losses suffered. After battle presetige is added the table at the end of the second year is
Libya – 15.2
Assyria – 10.2
Bedouin – 9.7
Babylon – 9.7
Ugarit – 8.8
Sea Peoples – 7.5
Mycenae – 6.0
Canaan – 6.0
Egypt – 5.9
Troy – 5.4
Gasgans – 4.0
Hittites – 3.5
Hebrews – 0.0

1198BC Spring – Hittites attack Ugarit. Battle of Kadesh sees the Hittites advance then try to hold a defensive line on a hill. They are defeated by heroic Ugaritic skirmishers and withdraw in poor order.

1198BC Spring – Gasgans swoop on the weakened Hittites and advance across a dry riverbed. However the outnumbered Hittites fight heroically and drive off the invaders.

1198BC Spring – Ugarit attacks Assyria. Assyrians withdraw to Harran. Seige of Ashur commences.

1198BC Spring – Assyria counterattacks and invades Ugarit territory – Battle of Byblos yet to be fought.

Libya – 15.2
Ugarit – 12.2
Assyria – 10.2
Hittites – 9.9
Bedouin – 9.7
Babylon – 9.7
Sea Peoples – 7.5
Mycenae – 6.0
Canaan – 6.0
Egypt – 5.9
Troy – 5.4
Gasgans – 4.0
Hebrews – 0.0

Cheers

Andrew Ford
04-23-2007, 10:10 PM
There must have been a coup or a rogue general, because I sent explicit orders that Hittite forces were NOT to attack Ugarit (and should not have been able to because I didn't declare war on Ugarit).

What happened?

Andrew Ford

Macbeth
04-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Indeed Andrew there was a coup.

for the first year of the session the two countries (Ugarit and Hatti) followed the dictates of their kings, much to the chagrin of Assyria.

However in the following year with both kings indisposed there was a coup in both countries - both kings were locked up by their grand councils and policy was determined by fate (the roll of a dice via programmed leader rolls). It would have been different if one, other or both armies had a proxy player but we weren't that lucky. We were down four players on the day Ugarit, Hatti, Mycenae and Canaan.

Chances are that a counter coup will release both rulers before the next session since we have 'About Face' in between. You and the Ugarits will most likely deal with the Gasgans and Assyrians respectively then return to your accord.

Cheers

Andrew Ford
04-24-2007, 01:27 AM
Suddenly Suppiluliuma II understands why he's on a mud-flat at the extreme eastern end of the known world - it was a set-up. I bet it was Cousin Karunta. Judging from subsequent events, those filthy barbarian Gasgans had something to do with it too. And the Assyrians. There's always an Assyrian in the shadows!

There will be retribution! (Note that, given my record on critical die rolls to date in this campaign, I don't go so far as to say that I will be I who enjoys that retribution).

Andrew Ford

Macbeth
04-24-2007, 02:29 AM
I think you'll like the results of the Battle of Kanesh between the Gasgans and the Hittites - outnumbered almost two to one - with support coming in for the Gasgans as well - had they arrived it was close to 3 to one.

The result was 6.4 Prestige in one hit ;) :D

Note the edits above where I had mucked up the Bedouin prestige earlier

cheers

drathul
04-24-2007, 05:40 AM
hey where's the sledging?!?!

I wanna hear sledging the likes our cricket team would be proud of! ;)

come on fellas, pull your fingers out and get sledging!!!! ;)

Macbeth
06-24-2007, 07:24 AM
A brief synopsis of the Fourth session of the Kriegspielers DBA Campaign (Horse Whispers).

1198BC Spring - Battle of Byblos when Ugarit returns to defend its territory from Assyria. In a head on clash the army of Ugarit is soundly defeated despite assistance from Canaan. Byblos in under Assyrian control.

1198BC Spring - Babylon attacks Canaan. Battle of Mediggo sees the Canaanites with Hebrew support smashed by Babylon, which then takes control of Mediggo.

1198BC Spring - Under strength Bedouin press home their attack on the Hebrews. Battle of Gezer sees the Bedouin raiders rout the Hebrews. Bedouin now control Gezer.

1198BC Summer - Troy attacks the Hittites at Kanesh only to have them fall back to Hattusas. The city surrenders to the Trojans (see Paris' report).

1198BC Summer - Gasgans raid Kanesh only to find it defended by the Trojans instead of the Hittites. Battle of Kanesh sees the Gasgans try to disguise their numbers and fall on the weakest flank of the Trojans through the clever use of steep hilly terrain. This was to no avail and the Gasgan remnants are driven off.

1198BC Summer - Ugarit takes advantage of the Gasgan weakness to attack Kathaidduwa. The city resists and a seige ensues.

1198BC Summer - Assyria pushes on in its war with Ugarit. They advance on the capital and storm its gates. Ugarit is now a vassal of Assyria.

1198BC Summer - Canaan launches an attack to recover Meddigo. The Babylonians retire before them leaving them to besiege the city.

1198BC Summer - Hebrews try to recover Gezer. The Bedouin give battle with Libyan support. Battle of Gezer sees the Hebrews gain early success by taking a fort but then suffer serious casualties when the Libyan chariot falls on their flank. They retire in disorder but gain prestige for looting the town.

1198BC Summer - Bedouin continue the war with the Hebrews and attack Jericho. The Hebrews reitre to Kenath forcing the Bedouin to besiege the town.

1198BC Summer - Egypt falls on the weakened Hebrews attacking Kenath. A frontal assault is beaten back with fantatical determination causing serious Egytian casualties but the blockade continues.

1198BC Summer - Sea Peoples attack Libyan held Sparta, laying seige to the city. It holds out for the time being.

Libya - 16.9
Assyria - 15.4
Bedouin - 14.7
Babylon - 13.5
Ugarit - 12.2
Hittites - 9.9
Sea Peoples - 7.5
Troy - 7.4
Mycenae - 6.0
Canaan - 6.0
Egypt - 5.9
Hebrews - 4.4
Gasgans - 4.0

Cheers

Macbeth
07-22-2007, 09:48 PM
A Breif Synopsis of the Fifth Session of our campaign. Turnout was light which led to a number of programmed leaders doing counter productive things.

1198BC Autumn – Troy attacks the Hittite capital (Hattusas) but the battered Hittite army retires to Tarsus. The city is besieged but holds back the invaders

1198BC Autumn – The siege of Kathaiduwwa continues with the Ugaritic army failing to make headway against the Gasgan garrison.

1198BC Autumn – Assyrian forces turn on Canaan. After a brief siege the city of Acco surrenders to the Assyrians.

1198BC Autumn – The Canaanite siege of Meggido is brought to a conclusion. The city is recaptured from the Babylonians.

1198BC Autumn – Babylon attacks Canaan again. The Canaanite army holds fast behind the walls of Meggido and beats back the invasion.

1198BC Autumn – Bedouin siege of Jericho ends with the surrender of the town. The Hebrews are now vassals of the Bedouin.

1198BC Autumn – The Egyptians breach the walls of Kenath and massacre what remains of the Hebrew army. Kenath is captured.

1198BC Autumn – Libya attacks the Sea Peoples outpost in Knossos from Egypt. The city is blockaded but refuses to surrender.

1198BC Autumn – The Sea Peoples siege of Sparta concludes when the isolated Libyan garrison surrenders.

The year ends and the armies retire for re-supply and rest. Bonus prestige is awarded for territory held. When battle and bonus prestige is totalled the table now looks like this:
Assyria – 24.4
Libya – 19.9
Bedouin – 15.7
Babylon – 15.5
Ugarit – 12.2
Hittites – 9.9
Mycenae – 9.0
Sea Peoples – 8.5
Troy – 8.4
Egypt – 6.9
Canaan – 6.0
Hebrews – 4.4
Gasgans – 4.0

1197BC Spring – Mycenae invades Libya with Sea People support. Battle of Farafra Oasis sees the Libyans and their Egyptian allies defeated in a close battle. The Mycenaean King was caught beside the oasis by skirmishers and narrowly fought his way out of trouble.
11197BC Spring – Troy attacks Ugarit held Carchemish. A siege ensues as Ugarit is committed elsewhere. The city holds out.

1197BC Spring – Hittites invade the Gasgan Territory. Battle of Pallihussa sees the Hittites caught between two steep hills but cut their way into the open. After holding the advantage for most of the battle they nearly lose in the final stages before finally chasing off the last of the Gasgan forces.

1197BC Spring – Canaan recaptures Acco from Assyria amid rumours that the Assyrian king is dead and his sons are competing for the throne. The city surrenders to its former lord without much struggle.

1197BC Spring – Babylon attacks Assyria trusting that the kingdom is as good as undefended. The city of Hit is taken in a lightning assault with no response from the Assyrian army.

1197BC Summer – The siege of Carchemish is concluded with the Trojans capturing the gatehouse and occupying the city.

1197BC Summer – The Hittites follow up their victory at Pallihussa with an attack on the Gasgan capital Ankuwa. The assault is beaten back with heavy losses by the desperate Gasgan defenders. A blockade is then put in place by the battered Hittite army.

1197BC Summer – Ugarit attacks the Hittite town of Tarsus. After a brief siege the city surrenders.

1197BC Summer – Canaan follows up its recapture of Acco with an attack on Assyrian held Byblos. Still no response from the Assyrian army. However the city holds out.

1197BC Summer – The Babylonian offensive into Assyria continues with an attack on Harran. However the defences around the city hold up the Babylonians and a siege begins.

1197BC Summer – Egypt allows the Bedouin through Kenath to attack Canaanite Acco. This causes the Canaanites to lift the siege of Byblos and return to fight. The Battle of Acco sees the Canaanites defeat the Bedouin but not without risk. Whilst outnumbered, the Canaanites have superior weaponry in the form of Chariots and succeed in punching a hole in the Bedouin line, eventually driving them from the field. However the Hebrew vassals of the Bedouin arrived and succeeded in inflicting substantial casualties on the Canaanites.

1197BC Summer – Sea Peoples attack Egypt with help from the Mycenaeans. Battle of Sais sees the Egyptian chariotry assisted by the Libyans crash into the wall of Sea People blade. The Egyptian commander is slain and his army breaks. The Sea Peoples once again have a foothold in Egypt.

At the end of the session the prestige table is now:
Assyria – 24.4
Libya – 19.9
Bedouin – 15.7
Babylon – 15.5
Sea Peoples – 12.2
Ugarit – 12.2
Mycenae – 11.5
Hittites – 10.6
Troy – 8.4
Canaan – 7.2
Egypt – 6.9
Hebrews – 6.1
Gasgans – 4.0

Cheers

John Meunier
08-04-2007, 01:49 PM
We are using the Canberra Kriegspeilers usual campaign base - an outline map with unequal movement connections, goodie cards to give a level of uncertainty and the rating system to modify the prestige scores.

Thanks for the interesting write ups about your campaign.

Do you have online somewhere more information about the "usual campaign base" - I'd like to get more specific information about it.

Macbeth
08-14-2007, 03:15 AM
Interesting that you should bring this up John.

I posted the details up in this forum topic back in 2004. ;) and you were one of the replies.

I haven't done much in the way of expanding from that base - however if you'd like to PM me your email address I will send you some of of the Maps we use.

I did this with Hamurabi and with Jim Rapzinksi back then - Jim was primarily interested in my Baltic campaign.

Cheers

Aristonicus
08-26-2007, 08:43 AM
I look forward to hearing the Libyan &/or Egyptian accounts of the Fourth (?) Battle of Sais in the Autumn of 1196BC.

From the defenders' side the battle went like this:

"We drew up our battle line in front of the local fort, while a quarter of our army waited in their boats for the chance to catch the Egyptian army from behind and/or sack their camp.

The Pharaoh's forces advanced towards us but then halted as our sea-bourne force landed in their rear. Their two chariot units raced back in an attempt to throw our swordsmen and light troops back into the water and the fortunes of battle swung back and forth for a long time (however neither side lost any units).

Fortune smile briefly on the Pharaoh as his Libyan allies suddenly appeared on the right flank of our line, their chariots charging straight into the flank guard of Sheklesh javelineers. This unit of lightly equipped troops proved up to the challenge, routing the Libyan general in his chariot who proceeded to carry away the rest of his force in flight.

The main part of the Egyptian army failed to close with our defensive line allowing our general's chariot unit to link up with the sea raiding force. He caught one of their chariots in the flank while they were engaged with our swordsmen to the front. This loss was too great for their army to take and they retired from the field."

This victory (4-0 - though only one was an actual kill) forshadowed Egypts' defeat at Thebes at the hands of the King of Mycenae, reducing them to vasseldom.

Macbeth
08-27-2007, 09:14 AM
A brief synopsis of the Sixth session of the Kriegspielers DBA Campaign (Horse Whispers).

It is nice to see some reports from other participants. Rest assured Aristonicus that the Libyan Cheif is rewriting history as we speak. :p :D

1197BC Autumn – Trojans attack Ugarit. Battle of Tarsus sees the Trojans overrun an Ugaritic held fort after some confused fighting. The Ugaritic forces then charge home but suffer more losses against the superior Trojan numbers

1197BC Autumn – Hittites switch their attack from Palhiussa to Kathaidduwa. The Gasgans remain at Palhiussa. Kathaidduwa holds out.

1197BC Autumn – Assyria resurgent marches to the relief of Harran. The Babylonians stand to fight. Battle of Harran sees the Assyrians overrun Babylonians driving them back to Hit.

1197BC Autumn – Bedouin attack Canaanite Acco. A siege commences but the city holds out.

1197BC Autumn – Egypt attempts to throw the Sea Peoples out of Sais. Libya sends help to Egypt and Mycenae backs the Sea Peoples. Battle of Sais sees the Sea Peoples land a small force on the Egyptian flank. The Libyans arrive on the Sea Peoples left and are immediately driven off. Egypt loses a chariot to the Sea Peoples landing and retreat.

1197BC Autumn – Sea Peoples pursue the Egyptians to Sile. The Egyptian army remains behind the city walls and throws back the pursuers.

At the end of the year all forces return to re-equip and reorganise. Bonus prestige was awarded to each player on the basis of territory held and losses suffered. After battle presetige is added the table at the end of the 1197 is
Assyria – 29.2
Sea Peoples – 23.8
Libya – 20.9
Babylon – 19.6
Troy – 16.9
Bedouin – 16.7
Mycenae – 15.5
Ugarit – 12.2
Hittites – 10.6
Egypt – 9.9
Canaan – 7.2
Hebrews – 6.1
Gasgans – 4.0

1196BC Spring – Mycenae invades Egypt with support from the Sea Peoples. Egypt fights with support from Libya. Battle of Thebes sees the Egyptians stand against a relentless assault from Mycenae. They are ground down after a hard fight. With its capital captured, Egypt submits to Mycenae.

Cheers

Macbeth
08-27-2007, 09:16 AM
I look forward to hearing the Libyan &/or Egyptian accounts of the Fourth (?) Battle of Sais in the Autumn of 1196BC.

I can't fault the truth of this account - all I can say is that the general population of Libya is being told of a great victory in which the Libyan intervention was decisive :p :D ;)

Cheers

Macbeth
09-23-2007, 09:15 AM
A brief synopsis of the Seventh session of the Kriegspielers DBA Campaign (Horse Whispers).

1196BC Spring – Mycenae invades Egypt with support from the Sea Peoples. Egypt fights with support from Libya. Battle of Thebes sees the Egyptians stand against a relentless assault from Mycenae. They are ground down after a hard fight. With its capital captured, Egypt submits to Mycenae.

Cheers
1196BC Spring – Hittites hand over control of Palhiussa to Troy.

1196BC Spring – Ugarit attacks Trojan held Carchemish. Battle of Carchemish sees the Ugaritic commander crash through the Trojan line, but the Trojans rally, isolate and kill the Ugaritic king. Troy retains control of the city.

1196BC Spring - Assyria attacks Babylon. Battle of Sippar sees the Babylonians surge across a river and cut a swathe through the Assyrian army. The Assyrians retreat in disorder

1196BC Spring – Canaan invades Egyptian Palestinian territory and lays siege to Kenath. The city holds out.

1196BC Spring – Babylon pursues the Assyrians. Battle of Harran sees the under strength Assyrian army recover its honour with a brutal defeat of the Babylonians who fall back in disarray.

1196BC Spring – The Bedouin attack Babylon and lay siege to Uruk. The battered Babylonian army does not respond, but the city holds back the invaders.

1196BC Spring – Libyans attempt to break out of the Mycenaean/Sea Peoples ring of steel with an attack on Sea Peoples held Sais. Battle of Sais sees the Libyans defeat the Sea Peoples and their Egyptian support (ordered into battle by their Mycenaean overlords). Sea Peoples retire to Knossos.

1196BC Summer – Mycenae counters the Libyan attack by marching on Sais, with the threat of Ugaritic, Sea Peoples and Egyptian support to bolster their attack. The Libyans do not feel confident and withdraw across the desert. Sais surrenders to the Mycenaeans.

1196BC Summer – Troy hands control of Kanesh over to the Hittites.

1196BC Summer – Assyrian army launches a counter offensive back at Babylon having pulled their Ugaritic vassals back into line. Second battle of Sippar sees the Assyrian/Ugaritc army crash through the Babylonians killing their commander.

1196BC Summer – Canaanite siege of Kaneth continues. The city continues to hold out.

1196BC Summer – Bedouin siege of Uruk concludes as the invaders force their way into the city and take control. Babylonian empire is now fragmented.

The prestige table as at the end of summer 1196BC is
Assyria – 39.3
Libya – 30.2
Babylon – 23.9
Sea Peoples – 23.8
Mycenae – 18.0
Troy – 16.9
Bedouin – 16.7
Ugarit – 14.2
Hittites – 10.6
Egypt – 9.9
Canaan – 7.2
Hebrews – 6.1
Gasgans – 4.0

Macbeth
09-23-2007, 09:18 AM
The Libyans will be covering the shame of the earlier battle of Sais with the results of the latest one.

:p ;)

Cheers

Macbeth
10-30-2007, 07:45 AM
A brief synopsis of the Eighth and Final Session of the Kriegspielers DBA Campaign (Horse Whispers).

1196BC Autumn – Mycenae invades Libya with support from the Sea Peoples and their Egyptian vassals. Battle of Balat sees the Libyans fight a desperate holding action against the overwhelming Mycenaean force. A confused melee in the Oasis stand against a relentless assault from Mycenae. The battle swings back and forth but eventually the Libyans are defeated. The ring of bronze tightens around Libya.

1196BC Autumn – Troy attacks the Gasgans. They besiege Ankuwa the Gasgan capital but fail to take it.

1196BC Autumn – Cracks in the Assyrian confederation. Gasgans break off and attack Ugaritic held Kadesh. They besiege the city but fail to force a surrender.

1196BC Autumn – Ugarit continues the attack on Babylonia. They attack Hit, forcing the gates and taking the city.

1196BC Autumn – Assyria presses on against Babylonia, besieging the capital Babylon. The battered remnants of the Babylonian army stiffen the city’s defences and they drive back the attackers.

1196BC Autumn – Canaanite siege of Kenath continues. With no hope of relief from Egypt the city surrenders.

1196BC Autumn – Bedouin forces attack Babylonia, besieging Nippur. The city holds out.

At the end of the year all forces return to re-equip and reorganise. Bonus prestige was awarded to each player on the basis of territory held and losses suffered.
The prestige table as at the end of 1196BC is
Assyria – 41.3
Libya – 30.2
Mycenae – 25.5
Babylon – 23.9
Sea Peoples – 23.8
Troy – 22.9
Bedouin – 20.7
Ugarit – 14.2
Hittites – 10.6
Egypt – 9.9
Canaan – 8.2
Hebrews – 6.1
Gasgans – 4.0

1195BC Spring – Canaan attacks Egypt. Egypt fights with support of the Sea Peoples. Battle of Sile sees the Canaanite invaders defeated by the allies when the Sea Peoples fall on the Canaanite flank. Almost half the invading force is wiped out.

1195BC Spring – Hebrews attack Kenath with support from their Bedouin overlords. The Canaanites defend it and try to hold back their numerically superior attackers whilst sweeping around. A fight between the Canaanite charitory and the Bedouin contingent sees the Canaanites chariots wiped out. The remaining defenders flee.

1195BC Spring – Mycenae continues the war with Libya, attacking Siwa. The Libyan army resists from behind their fortifications and holds back the enemy tide.

1195BC Spring – Troy launches another attack on the Gasgan capital Ankuwa and is bloodily repulsed from the walls by the defenders.

1195BC Spring – Hittites attack Gasgan city of Kathiaduwa. The Gagasn army cannot defend it being shut up in their capital but the city holds out and a siege ensues.

1195BC Spring – Ugarit pushes on against Babylon. The small Babylonian army lines the walls of its capital and helps to keep the invaders out.

1195BC Summer – Assyria attacks Babylonian Nippur whilst the Babylonians are trapped in their capital. The city falls to their relentless assault.

1195BC Summer – Hebrews attack Canaanite Meggido. The city surrenders with only token resistance.

1195BC Summer – Bedouin attack Canaanite Acco. The small Canaanite army mans the walls but fails to hold back the tide and is massacred.

1195BC Summer – Egypt attacks Bedouin held Tamar. The city surrenders after a very brief blockade.

1195BC Summer – Sea Peoples attack Ugaritic Kadesh. The army of Ugarit is too far away to react but the citizens hold back the invaders and a siege commences.

1195 Summer – Mycenae breaches the defences of Siwa and massacres the Libyan forces there. Libya becomes a vassal of Mycenae.

1195 Summer – Another Trojan assault on Ankuwa is beaten back in a bloody fashion by the Gasgans.

1195BC Summer – Kathaiduwa surrenders to the Hittites.

1195BC Summer – Ugarit finally takes Babylon – wiping out the what remained of Babylonian army in the process.

1195 Autumn – Libyan gold funds a Hebrew revolt against the Bedouin. However the two nations remain on good terms.

1195BC Autumn – Hebrews attack the Canaanite capital Lachish but fail to take the city.

1195BC Autumn – Egypt continues to press home against the Bedouin, attacking their capital Kir Haneeth. The Bedouin give battle but having lost their camels in the desert crossing they are outclassed by the Egyptians at the battle of Kir Haneeth. This victory makes the Bedouin an Egyptian Vassal.

1195BC Autumn – Kadesh surrenders to the Sea Peoples.

1195BC Autumn – Ankuwa beats back another Trojan assault.

1195BC Autumn – Hittites launch their own attack on Ankuwa whilst the Gasgans celebrate holding back the Trojans. They are surprised and wiped out.

At the end of the year all forces returned to their own countries and the map was redrawn. Bonus prestige was awarded to each player on the basis of territory held and losses suffered. Further prestige is added to the totals for the end of the campaign. The prestige table as at the end of 1195BC is
Assyria – 71.3
Mycenae – 59.5
Sea Peoples – 44.7
Troy – 40.9
Bedouin – 38.8
Egypt – 38.6
Libya – 33.2
Babylon – 26.9
Ugarit – 25.2
Hittites – 22.6
Hebrews – 15.1
Canaan – 11.2
Gasgans – 7.0

Cheers

Aristonicus
11-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Hoo-rah! I came third.

Interestingly, in this campaign some steady alliances formed over time. For example, Troy & the Hittites, Mycenae & the Sea Peoples, Egypt & Libya etc. Though I do believe that 'Agamemnon', having just completed the conquest of Africa, would have stabbed me in the back if the game had gone on into the next year. This was possibly due to me still holding Sparta from an earlier turn, when I liberated it from the Libyan hordes.

Thomas_Pers
11-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Thank you Macbeth for sharing this campaign with us. I have really enjoyed reading your reports. I love this period myself and I'm thinking about arranging something similar here is Sweden. If you have your own "house rules" somewhere I'd be happy if you were willing to share them.

Cheers

Thomas

Macbeth
11-15-2007, 01:04 AM
Thomas Pers, John Meunier,

I am in the midst of finishing the full write up of the Horse Whispers Campaign and in addition trying to gather up all my generalised modifications, conventions and other guff that is applied to my campaigns into an article.

I will send copies to you when I'm done. Many thanks for your interest in what has been going on herer.

Cheers