PDA

View Full Version : Progressive campaign - Hannibal's Vow

John Meunier
09-07-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm playing through a series of games with my son to work out the details of an 8-player progressive campaign (that's what I'm calling it) based on the 2nd Punic War.

The basic concept is to start with 8 players in four groups.

Group 1
Later Carthaginian
Ancient Spanish

Group 2
Gallic
Gallic

Group 3
Polybian Roman
Campanian

Group 4
Bruttian
Syracusan

Round 1 has the each group fight among themselves.

Round 2 has the loser of each Round 1 battle assume the role of an ally to the victor of the Round 1 battle. These pairs when then face pairs from other groups in a BBDBA battle organized thusly:

Group 1 vs. Group 2

Group 3 vs. Group 4

Round 3 has the victor from Round 2 leading a collection of three allies against the other victor from Round 2.

For my first run through, I'm not going to allow for replacement of lost elements. If that doesn't seem to work, I have one idea for handling recruitment of losses.

Prestige points will be tracked for each army as the game unfolds.

As it goes, I'll report the results here.

Chris Brantley
09-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Are the army selections based on your available armies?

John Meunier
09-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Yes.

I could have tossed in an all LH and Ps Numidian or an Apulian, but these seemed like a good set.

Timurilank
09-08-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm playing through a series of games with my son to work out the details of an 8-player progressive campaign (that's what I'm calling it) based on the 2nd Punic War.

Prestige points will be tracked for each army as the game unfolds.

As it goes, I'll report the results here.

John,

This is a great idea. It has all the makings for a tournament; participants are randomly placed at tables using the armies already designated and progress from round to round. Nice.

Cheers,

Bob. (and his dog)
09-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Nice to see someone else has discovered this format.

This concept was originated by Don Miller, in New Hampshire, in the early-90's. He called it a pyramid tournament because you start with a base of a large number of singles games, fewer double, then 1 final with 4 players per side.

I have done it a number of times at Historicon. Punic version: Carthage vs Numidia, Gallic vs Spanish, Roman vs some italian state, and Later Macedon vs Hellenistic Greek. I have also done a nice version with Successor States.
See discussion here
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~beattie/dbatourn/DBAtourn.html

At first I allowed the winner of a singles game to take the loser as a partner, but once one player got ahead he went easy on the opponent. Losses carried over from game to game. The I had the loser of the top pair join the winner of the lower bracket and vice versa. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. So if you are winning you will not hold back.

I have also done this with small DBR games. Once "The Ruler of the East" with Japan, Portugal, Mings, Siam, Moghul, Korean, Rajput, and Chinese Pirates.

I have wanted to do this are recent Conventions but there is just not enough time.

John Meunier
09-11-2006, 08:50 PM
First battle run last night.

Hannibal
1 x 3Cv(G), 1 x 3Cv, 1 x 2LH, 1 x EL, 3 x 4Sp, 1 x 3Ax, 4 x 2Ps

The Later Carthaginians are heavy in Ps because this is a mostly African force. Hannibal has to pick up his Wb in Spain or Gaul.

Ancient Spanish
1 x 3Cv(G), 1 x 2LH, 6 x 3AX, 4 x 2Ps

No surprise, the Spanish defend. Terrain is a central steep hill will a woods and another steep hill in diagonal corners. An inconsequential road runs along the Spanish baseline.

The Spanish deploy in columns to charge the central hill with the Cv and LH offset slightly toward the gap between the central hill and woods.

The Carthaginian general debates whether it is legal to put the Elephant in the camp - no where else to put it, but it will be handy if Hannibal makes it to Gaul. After looking over elements, player finally decides to attack the Spanish cavalry and deploys his cavalry next to the woods in the corner of his baseline. Spears front steep hill - and protect elephant. Psiloi and Ax split between flanks to support cavalry and face an empty flank between central hill and hill on the right side of the Spanish line.

The Spanish general opts not to change deployments.

Battle ends up being anticlimatic. The Spanish seize the hill, but then set up entrenching rather than using it as a base for attacking. Carthaginian horse bypass the central hill without getting ZOC'ed. As Spanish debate whether to come off hill to attack greatly outnumbered Carthaginian spear (roll low pips three turns in a row), the Carthaginian horse catches and crushes first Spanish LH and then the general. Game over 2G - 0.