PDA

View Full Version : III/51 v III/65

drathul
07-26-2006, 11:47 PM
I was perusing the armies list last night and I noticed that Normans/ west Franks have Fatimid Egyptian listed as an opponent.

Does anyone know if this listing a part of the first crusade?
And was it Normans or west Franks beating up the Egyptians?
Also can you tell me the particular battle that allows this particular match up?

Thanks

Ian

Macbeth
07-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Ian,

I believe that this particular matchup is due to the Sicilian Normans under Roger the Great. Said Sicilian Norman ruler attempted to grab hold of some parts of North Africa. The Fatimids may also have intervened in Sicily.

I'll see what I can dig up.

Cheers

John Meunier
07-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Although this is probably one case in which the DBA army lists don't really match the face off that would have happened in history.

The Fatamid army in Sicily was likely different in composition than the army that fought with and against the Crusaders.

Were there even set-piece battles in the Fatamid campaign in Sicily? We sometimes get army match ups where the two forces never engaged in more than skirmishes and sieges.

Chris Brantley
07-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Also, there is a Sicilian list (IV/5) that covers the Normans in Sicily from 1072 AD on.

The first Normans under Robert Guiscard and his brother Roger showed up in Sicily around 1061, and fought the local Fatimid emir Ayub ibn Temim at Palermo in 1068 AD (Battle of Misilmeri) and again in 1071 AD. So I suspect that is why you have Normans/Fatimids listed as historical enemies.

El' Jocko
07-27-2006, 05:00 PM
The first Normans under Robert Guiscard and his brother Roger showed up in Sicily around 1061, and fought the local Fatimid emir Ayub ibn Temim at Palermo in 1068 AD (Battle of Misilmeri) and again in 1071 AD. So I suspect that is why you have Normans/Fatimids listed as historical enemies.

I'd forgotten about that little dust-up. That'll come in handy since my son is painting a Norman army and I'll be doing a Fatimid morph at some point.

- Jack