PDA

View Full Version : Dreams of Dynasty

Mike Demana
12-30-2005, 01:41 AM
Just thought I'd let folks here know that our very own "Stelzone" -- aka Mike Stelzer -- is running a DBA campaign once a month in Columbus. It is set around 500 AD in the steppes and Asia, with tons of player countries available, as well as numerous "non-player" types for us to invade and conquer.

It has really caught on, with last meeting us having 10 players attending. One or two more are talking about joining, so we could be approaching a dozen players. The more the merrier! Mike made the map extra big to accomodate as many as possible. As a matter of fact, you can check out his map -- and the updates after our first year of campaigning -- at:
http://geocities.com/stelzone@sbcglobal.net/

A short synopsis, so far:
In the West, the Alans (Allen Sams) have subdued the Central Asian citystate of Fergana, and made inroads against the Eastern Turks. Just south of the Alans, the Hepthalite Huns (Steve Cole) were repulsed in their invasion of the Guptas of India, but seized lands from the Western Turks. The Sassanid Persians (Me!), subjugated the Gepid kingdom in one year's campaigning. There are rumors of a new power arising far to the south on the Indian subcontinent (Keith Finn joining as the Tamils).

Moving East, the Chinese Northern Dynasty (Jason Stelzer) has had an extremely successful year, conquering lands from the Khitans to the north and Eastern Turks to the West. The Chinese Southern Dynasty (Bob Boggs) are involved in a war with the Medieval Vietnamese (Tom Graves), trading provinces, so far. To the South, the Burmese (John Loy) have been frustrated in their attacks on their Funan and Chiang neighbors. Moving north, the Southern Hsiung-Nu (Jenny Torbett) conquered part of the Juan-Juan lands. Across the sea, the Silla Koreans were unsuccessful in seizing lands from the other Korean kingdoms, but did repulse the invasion by the Pre-Samurai Japanese (Dylan Fraser). The Japanese did manage to make inroads in Emishi territory, despite being repulsed in more than one prong of their invasion.

There are rumors of other kingdoms preparing for war (new players talking about joining!), so we will see what Year Two of the campaign will bring!

On a side note, each meeting (at the local game shop, The Guardtower), we game one season, i.e., Spring, Summer, then Autumn -- Winter being an "administrative phase".

Anyone in the Central Ohio area who would like to join should contact Stelzone on these boards. Feel free to stop by our next meeting -- Sunday, Jan. 29, at 1:30 pm.

Mike Demana
12-30-2005, 01:45 AM
oops, I see I forgot to mention that Terry Hollern is our honorable Silla Korean player...!

Pthomas
12-30-2005, 02:23 PM
The Southern Dynasty Emperor shall pay for his lust for Viet lands!

hammurabi70
12-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Looks great...I've finally found a reason to emmigrate to the USA. tongue.gif

Ed Dillon
12-31-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by hammurabi70:
Looks great...I've finally found a reason to emmigrate to the USA. tongue.gif The fishing is pretty good over here, too. We have a lot more public access water.

You could take on WADBAG at H'con.

And drive on the other side of the road. And argue about the proper spelling and pronunciation of words. Come on over.

Stelzone
01-24-2006, 02:16 PM
New Map Update posted to website, will try to add the turn up dates as they happen. Will be adding probably two more players this turn. There are still spots available.

Mike S.

[ January 24, 2006, 11:17: Message edited by: Stelzone ]

Dave Welch
01-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Mike Demana:
Anyone in the Central Ohio area who would like to join should contact Stelzone on these boards. Feel free to stop by our next meeting -- Sunday, Jan. 29, at 1:30 pm. [/QB]How late does this go? Do you mind people stopping by for the last hour just to see what it's about and chat?

Dave

Stelzone
01-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Dave

All are welcome come as early to start as you want and we may even get you a game or two. Conversation is non-stop.

Mike S.

Dave Welch
01-25-2006, 04:23 PM
I'd like to get there at 1:30, but I've got to travel to NE Ohio earlier in the day. I might be able to make it by 4 - 5pm but I don't know if you're still going to be there at that point.

Pthomas
01-25-2006, 05:43 PM
Dave,

From experience, we generally get finished by 5 pm. This is a spring turn so is likely to run as long as any turn we do (as everyone launches and resolves their spring invasions). If you can stop by, please do so. We are a laid back crowd and we focus on having fun.

Tom

Jeff Cope
01-25-2006, 07:55 PM
I had a great time at the December gathering. It was my first time seeing DBA in action (I had just gotten the rulebook a few days prior). I even got to play a game against Allen.

I'm hoping to be able to stop by next Sunday again.

How long is this particular campaign expected to run? The reason I ask is that neither of the armies I'm in the process of putting together fit into the time/region of this campaign.

(I'm assembling a II/56 EI Roman army and a II/5b Athenian army, but at the rate I'm going it's gonna be awhile 'til they're ready to field).

Jeff

Mike Demana
01-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Pthomas:

This is a spring turn so is likely to run as long as any turn we do (as everyone launches and resolves their spring invasions). -- Or in my case, puts down the rebellions of 2/3's of the provinces I conquered last turn! So, what do people have against the benevolent rule of the King of Kings of Persia??? Oh, I forgot. I conquered the Gepids (doesn't one of the army book say Gepid meant "stupid"?)....

Darren Buxbaum
01-26-2006, 03:02 AM
doesn't one of the army book say Gepid meant "stupid"? Mike,
maybe this quote you were referring to was Pechneg. This (or a similar quote) was mentioned in the DBM Pechneg description that was made by a Byzantine Emperor (he wasn't named).

Cheers,
Darren

Pthomas
01-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Say Darren,

Saw your Golden Horde on the fanaticus home page. They look great and I really like the flocking...It seems vaguely familiar, almost Yuan-like! smile.gif

Pthomas
01-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Cope:

I'm hoping to be able to stop by next Sunday again.

How long is this particular campaign expected to run? The reason I ask is that neither of the armies I'm in the process of putting together fit into the time/region of this campaign.

Jeff Come on by and don't worry about being able to field an army, this group can always provide. From experience, again, these campaigns generally last a couple years or more. You have plenty of time to paint something, if you are interested.

Pthomas
01-26-2006, 12:42 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pthomas:

This is a spring turn so is likely to run as long as any turn we do (as everyone launches and resolves their spring invasions). -- Or in my case, puts down the rebellions of 2/3's of the provinces I conquered last turn! So, what do people have against the benevolent rule of the King of Kings of Persia??? Oh, I forgot. I conquered the Gepids (doesn't one of the army book say Gepid meant "stupid"?).... </font>[/QUOTE]BTW, if you are counting, there was a 25% rebellion rate in conquered provinces. 3 rebellions in 12 conquered provinces. You just happened to get the lion's share. Hmmm... wasn't the lion a symbol of the Persian empire? Just makes sense, I guess.

Jeff Cope
01-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Turns out I won't be able to come this time. Just found out we're getting a surprise visit from some family from CA this weekend.

Happy to see the family...yet, sad I'll miss the campaign this month.

Looking forward to Februarys game!

Jeff

Mike Demana
01-28-2006, 04:39 PM
BTW, if you are counting, there was a 25% rebellion rate in conquered provinces. 3 rebellions in 12 conquered provinces. You just happened to get the lion's share. Hmmm... wasn't the lion a symbol of the Persian empire? Just makes sense, I guess. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Wee...lucky me! Actually, I think that was the earlier, Achaemenid Persians's symbol. I think the Sassanids used the sun disk, being Zoroastrians. Not sure, but that's what I think.

Oh, and I agree: Darren's pics look awesome. I wish Darren would transfer with UPS from Indiana to Columbus...I'd love to see his minis on a regular, weekly basis when gaming!!!

Darren Buxbaum
01-30-2006, 02:55 AM
Mike & Pthomas
you guys are way too kind. I am glad that you enjoyed the Golden Horde. I wish that I could participate in your campaign. It sounds like a blast with a great group of guys. I will be headed your way again this year some time.

Will you guys be making it to Little Wars this year? In addition to Steve's tournament, I just recieved the okay to run another later that Saturday. I will post the details soon with Chris. Thanks again for the kind words and I will talk to you soon.

Cheers,
Darren

Mike Demana
01-31-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure, Darren. Money's kind of tight (witness the spate of ebay offerings from me), as I bought new windows & patio door for my house. I'd love to make it over to play in Steve's Whirlygig and your tourney (Wimpy Wars?). Who knows? Maybe I can do it as a one-day overnight, fly in, and stay in a friend's room...

So, what convention will you be heading towards us, for? Origins, by chance? That'd be awesome having you join us for DBA daily and Big Bar on Two at night!

Nowwwww, back to Dreams of Dynasty! We had 12 players show up, as well as a couple bystanders interested in maybe joining in (C'mon, Dave and Joe, you know how fun it'd be...). My Sassanid Persians stomped the first of the Gepid rebels. Then, we launched an invasion of the Nomadic Hun kingdom. My ally Steve Cole fought the battle for me and steamrolled them.

Things are going to get interesting in the Western edge of the map, though. Since last turn, two new players have joined, taking two postions (of the four available and unfilled) on the Indian subcontinent. Keith Finn is playing the Tamil Indians, while the recently-returned Tim Ryan is controlling the Guptas. Thankfully, they SHOULD be kept busy for awhile with the Varataka Indians and the Sinhalese...or maybe each other!

Other interesting things of note are the Silla Koreans (Terry Hollern) attacked Jason Stelzer's juggernaut of North Chinese Dynasty. He snatched one of the former Khitan provinces away from him, which is sure to draw a response sooner or later. This should make The Northern Chinese's neighbors -- Jenny Torbett's Southern Hsiung-Nu, Allen Sams' Alans, John Loy's Burmese and Bob Boggs' Southern Chinese breathe a bit easier.

As more players join, and the others divvy up the Non-Player kingdoms, things are bound to get even more interesting soon...

Jeff Cope
01-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Since last turn, two new players have joined, taking two postions (of the four available and unfilled) on the Indian subcontinent. So, who does that leave as available? I really would love to get in on this campaign - but, it's been challenging finding an available army that interests me in the region being played.

Mike S. mentioned Nomadic Huns were available (but now under seige, I see)? Who else?

Jeff

Jeff Cope
01-31-2006, 05:05 PM
...and, was a date decided upon for February's game?

Thanks!

Jeff

Pthomas
01-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Cope:
...and, was a date decided upon for February's game?

Thanks!

Jeff Sunday, February 26, 1:30 pm.

Maybe Mike S can fill you in on the remaining positions. I would guess at least one Korean, one SE Asian, one S Asian, and a horse clan.

[ January 31, 2006, 14:57: Message edited by: Pthomas ]

Stelzone
02-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Will post the open slots tonight if home PC isn't acting up again. Will also have website update done on friday. Will email it all players, but will also post on website for those interested in campaign.

Mike S.

Stelzone
02-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Will post the open slots tonight if home PC isn't acting up again. Will also have website update done on friday. Will email it all players, but will also post on website for those interested in campaign.

Mike S.

Mike Demana
02-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Looks like his PC is acting up...
Here they are:

From Mike Stelzer:
The following areas are wholew and available to be King in;
Paekche Korean
Koguryo Korean
Chamla
Ti
Chiang
Sogdiana

The next group have lost one or more provinces already and are looking to be saved;
Vakataka
Sinhalese
Funan
Nomadic Huns
Eastern Turks
Western Turks
Juan-Juan

And here's the link again for the web page with the campaign map:

Oh, and if you're considering the Nomadic Huns, Kavadh, King of Kings of Sassanid Pesia, has one word: "Don't!" (His vizier will be more forthcoming, and explain the intricacies of LH Huns vs. Cav/Kn/El Persians, and what is technically known as the "steamroller effect").

Dave Welch
02-02-2006, 12:01 PM

Oh, and if you're considering the Nomadic Huns, Kavadh, King of Kings of Sassanid Pesia, has one word: "Don't!" (His vizier will be more forthcoming, and explain the intricacies of LH Huns vs. Cav/Kn/El Persians, and what is technically known as the "steamroller effect"). I learn the most when I get stomped so I'll take the Nomadic Huns just to be introduced to the "Steamroller Effect" smile.gif

Pthomas
02-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Dave Welch:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mike Demana:

Oh, and if you're considering the Nomadic Huns, Kavadh, King of Kings of Sassanid Pesia, has one word: "Don't!" (His vizier will be more forthcoming, and explain the intricacies of LH Huns vs. Cav/Kn/El Persians, and what is technically known as the "steamroller effect"). I learn the most when I get stomped so I'll take the Nomadic Huns just to be introduced to the "Steamroller Effect" smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Hehehe! The King of King's has not disuaded his uncivilized neighbors from defending their lands from his 'civilizing' advances.

Dave roll high, you'll need lots of movement pips and lots of high combat rolls! And have fun as you are squished!

John Loy
02-02-2006, 03:46 PM
&gt;The King of King's has not disuaded his uncivilized neighbors &lt;

Wishful thinking :rolleyes:

Come on down south and play :cool:

John

Mike Demana
02-03-2006, 03:03 AM
Would that be the Burmese sub-king (who to the great amazement and joy of his subjects, FINALLY took a new province in conquest this turn) that is speaking?

I think you'll have your hands full with your own apparently very fearsome neighbors. The King of Kings is merciful, and will not add to your troubles...sub-king.

Ed Dillon
02-03-2006, 09:30 AM

Oh, and I agree: Darren's pics look awesome. I wish Darren would transfer with UPS from Indiana to Columbus...I'd love to see his minis on a regular, weekly basis when gaming!!! Sorry Mike, Nashville has had dibs on Darren for years! We drafted him first and we don't intend to let him go free agent...

Ed

John Loy
02-03-2006, 10:04 AM
He who laughs last laughs loudest :D

Confucius say: Patience is a virtue graemlins/huh.gif

John

Stelzone
02-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Report for Spring 502 AD

In a year of rebellion we saw the continuation for some of success for others frustration; talk to Allen about frustration at taking a province. And with that note we’ll start with the:

Alans invaded Tashkent and was successful. Fergana as they are in rebellion should have had a battle that we both seemed to forget so continues a a rebellious province into next turn.

Sassanids put down one rebellion with the Gepids and invaded the Nomadic Huns winning a close battle. They still have one province in rebellion, and it continues into the next year.

The Vietnamese had a great spring with the taking back of their province from the Southern Dynasty Chinese and removing another province from the same. Did the Southern Dynasty open a hornets nest on themselves.

The Hsuing-Nu were the frustrated ones in the spring as they tried again to take one of the Juan-Juan provinces and failed. Will it turn out to be the never take until the last round province?????

The The Northern Dynasty Chinese had a fairly good spring putting down a Khitan rebellion and expanding into the Korean peninsula. But the Shilla Koreans decided to expand at someone elses expense and took the just subdued province as their own.

The Japanese tried to eliminate the Emishi and failed theis turn. But did succeed in putting down the rebellion in their northern most province.

The Burmese finally found a general who was worth sending somewhere and took a province from Funan. Pay back for the audacity to counterinade last fall???

The Hephthlite Huns struck out at the Western Turks and into Tibetan territory. The invasions went well and the White Huns add to their Empire. But they also now have a new worry with a very active king in India.

The Guptas under King Tim (name subject to change, wants to be called Asoka for some reason) made a double thrust into Vakataka one successfully and the other not so successfully. Can King Tim keep the Tamils from uniting the related kingdoms of the south into a powerhouse.

The Tamils attempted a double invasion as well, one successfully into Sinhalese territory and one canceled invasion as the Guptas got there first.

A very active Spring round with 17 battles fought, and the invadersrebellion crushers winning 14 of those. We are also growing by two new players David Welch has taken over the Nomadic Huns to the north of the Sassanid Empire, and to make it a little fair if you check out the map I added a province to their area to make up for one already lost. (to Give the new guy some chance to get in some battles). And Jeff Cope coming aboard as an yet unknown Empire. So we are filling the spaces quickly, and more are welcome.

Mike S.

PS. Our next date is Feb. 26th at 1:30 at the Guardtower in Columbus.

Mike Demana
02-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Stelzone:
We are also growing by two new players David Welch has taken over the Nomadic Huns to the north of the Sassanid Empire, and to make it a little fair if you check out the map I added a province to their area to make up for one already lost. (to Give the new guy some chance to get in some battles).Are you SURE you want to do that, Dave?

Here are the army lists:

Nomadic Huns
1 Cav or LH (General), 11 LH

Sassanid Persians (lots of choices, but here is the anti-Hun variant):
1 Cav (General), 1 Knight, 5 Cav, 1 Elephant, 4 LH

So, if he gave the Nomadic Huns an extra province, it will take 3 more turns to conquer them (3 months of gaming meetings).

But then again, I *DID* roll badly in my battle against the Gepid rebels...6 pips in my first five rolls! Since I set up the terrain, though, the Persians still squeaked it out. Sooo, I guess it's not a foregone conclusion...

John Loy
02-04-2006, 03:56 PM
The Burmese finally found a general who was worth sending somewhere and took a province from Funan. Pay back for the audacity to counterinade last fall???

Which should mean the city was undefended and fell automatically graemlins/king.gif

John

Dave Welch
02-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Are you SURE you want to do that, Dave?
Sure. The point isn't to win. I watched you play last month and decided that I needed to learn before I could reasonably expect to win. Taking over the Nomadic Huns will be a great lesson in how to use mounted units. I realize the lesson will be at great expense to the Nomadic Huns, but I do expect to learn something.

Look at it this way, you have another province that can easily be taken over ;)

Pthomas
02-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Dave,

Lesson one: Horse armies do not sit passively waiting for the King of Kings to squish them. They ATTACK! Aggressively and fanatically! Like a swarm of killer bees (like a cloud of hurled JAVELINS!) Jab and dodge, stick and move! Just like Ali! Both on the tactical and the strategic level. Make the King of Kings squirm!

General Ad Hoc
(laughing up his sleeve)

[ February 06, 2006, 12:20: Message edited by: Pthomas ]

Dave Welch
02-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Dave,

Lesson one: Horse armies do not sit passively waiting for the King of Kings to squish them. They ATTACK! Aggressively and fanatically! Like a swarm of killer bees (like a cloud of hurled JAVELINS!) Jab and dodge, stick and move! Just like Ali! Both on the tactical and the strategic level. Make the King of Kings squirm!

General Ad Hoc
(laughing up his sleeve) Thanks General smile.gif

I'm a bit lost on the strategic level as I have no idea how many armies I have and have some confusion regarding the strategic map (I'll shoot a note to Mike Stelzer and see if I can procure a clue). I will take your advice to heart though!

Jeff Cope
02-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Heh. I was going to choose the Nomadic Huns, but shied away after Mike's warning/admonition. Congrats for pressing on!

I'm still trying to decide. Sigh. Leaning towards Turks.

Jeff

Mike Demana
02-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Here's the link for the web page with the campaign map:

The Nomadic Huns had provinces 106, 107 & 108, but lost 106 last turn to the Persians. From Mike Stelzer's e-mail, it looks like he gave you #109 also, to make up for it, coming in as a new player.

Of your neighbors, province #110 (through 118) is the "Horse Nomads" barbarian peoples...slightly different than your kingdom as they are a Raider type Non Player kingdom, I believe. The Gepid kingdom, 103-105 was conquered by the Persians as well last turn. However, Stelzer slammed me with two revolts, 104 & 105. I subdued 104 in Spring of this turn, and will hopefully put down 105 in Summer.

Province #66 is the closest other player kingdom, The Alans (run by Allen Sams). I'm not sure if you'll have two strategic armies or one, I'd have to be at home and look at my rules and province key to tell you.

Hope this helps...and I promise I will be as helpful as I can -- explaining step by step what I'm doing as I do my best to destroy your army in battle, dismember your kingdom, drive your people before me and hear the lamentations of your women...

Harsh, I know. Sigh, but that's the job of a King of Kings...!

Pthomas
02-07-2006, 05:18 PM

Harsh, I know. Sigh, but that's the job of a King of Kings...! Well Yeah! Someone's got to do it!

Stelzone
02-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Gentlemen is the revised 502 map coming up when you go to the website. John was the first to hint that it wasn't. I will always update the map the same day that the update comes out. I had no idea it wasn't coming up.

Mike

Jeff Cope
02-19-2006, 12:01 PM
End of Spring 502 AD? It's working for me.

Jeff

Mike Demana
02-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Hmmm...If we're talking about the 3rd map down as you scroll, then no, the image is NOT appearing in my browser. It is on the site, though, because I clicked on it and downloaded it to my hard drive and it was the correct one.

My guess is it is a browser problem (2.5 MB image is too big?). I'll change over to Mozilla from Internet Explorer and see if that makes a difference...

Oh, and remember: This Sunday is our next meeting!!!

Mike Demana
02-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Mozilla's browser couldn't pull it up either. However, once downloaded to my desktop, I could click on the map image and it WOULD come up.

My suggestion for future maps, Mike:
After saving it as the "GIF" like this one, create another version of it using the "Save As..." feature, and save it as a JPG. That should compress it enough to pull up, I would guess.

Now, back to getting the King of Kings ready to march on Sunday...

John Loy
02-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Well I could pull it up but it took a minute.

Looked like it wasn't there but if you looked at the bottom, it said 1 remaining item, then it popped up eventually. Must be a whopper file.

John

Jeff Cope
02-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Sigh...

Just found out that I won't be able to make it tomorrow afterall.

Hopefully the March game!

I look forward to a report of what events transpire tomorrow, and what armies are still left and viable at the end of this turn.

Have fun, folks! Wish I could be there!

Jeff

Dave Welch
02-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Hope this helps...and I promise I will be as helpful as I can -- explaining step by step what I'm doing as I do my best to destroy your army in battle, dismember your kingdom, drive your people before me and hear the lamentations of your women...

Harsh, I know. Sigh, but that's the job of a King of Kings...! The schooling commenced as expected. There was a glimmer of hope during the first battle (106/107), but alas, twas not to be. Unfortunately, there wasn't even that glimmer during the second (105).

Thank you, "King of Kings" for the instruction. You were very helpful and for that I am very appreciative.

From now on I'm going to stick to playing NPC kingdoms as I seem to do much better with those ;)

See you all again on the 12th!

Mike Demana
02-27-2006, 03:13 PM
As Dave alludes to, the first clash between the Horse Nomads and the Sassanid Persians did not exactly start the King of Kings' way...as Dave beat me on combat rolls of 6-1 on the first roll, then proceeded to outroll me by two and three on the next couple. This led to a fatal confidence and encouragement to move his Light Horse General into contact with the Sassanid Persian Elephant (before the start of this campaign nicknamed "Tenderfoot" -- but he's been an unholy terror since Dreams of Dynasty began). An overlap on not-Tenderfoot brought it down to 3 (LH-Gen) vs. 4 (overlapped El). Dave needed to beat me by only two on the roll and a second hole would develop in my lines. The dice were rolled...5-1 swing -- in MY favor = dead Nomad general. I WAS a bit worried. What with my "King of Kings" bluster and "steamroller effect" comments, I was envisioning eating crow all the way to Cold Wars and back!

The second battle Dave cleverly and calmly awaited my approach. We were set up in "train wreck mode"...two long lines -- no reserves. He waited till I was 2-3" away, then -- with a high pip roll -- sprang into action. He scooted his light horse on either wing obliquely into contact with my extreme flanks, giving himself a flank contact on each end battle. It was a clever gambit, but his combat die rolls didn't play it through, and the light horse vs. cavalry wasn't a forgiving enough matchup.

The bright side is that with the extra province given to the Horse Nomads, Dave's nation WILL survive to see another campaign year. I can only conquer one more province this year (Autumn turn).

Dave Welch
03-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey, I noticed that many people had some sort of print out with campaign instructions and a list of provinces. I've looked through this thread and checked the campaign website but haven't found those documents. Can anyone direct me to those documents or let me know what my intermittant blindness has caused me to miss? Thanks!

Mike Demana
03-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Mike Stelzer will give you one...it's a blue folder with the rules and maps and such in it.

John Loy
03-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Dave:

Mike Stelzer has them; probably just overlooked getting you a copy. Hit him up for them next time.

John

Stelzone
03-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Next update should be done saturday. Haven't had time to breath this week, Haven't been home before 8:00 most nights. Will have the report and the map updated saturday morning most likily.

Mike

Stelzone
03-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Well Lady and Gentlemen,

The Summer of 502 saw the first multi-state contests for provinces. And some successful rebellions as well.

The Alans While seiging Tashkent were faces with a rebellion in Fergana (69), they rebells put together a field army and drove the pesky Alans back to their steppe. Will the Alans go looking for greener pastures?

The North Chinese are both successful and slow to respond, in the west and south they won some pretty significant battles. First in a three way contest for the last Eastern Turk province The last in seems to have been the key, After the Ti faced off against the Hephthalite Huns and took the right to fight for the province, the Chinese showed up and kicked them out all without fighting the Turks yet: first battle of the fall here. In South China the North attempting to help their breathern chased the Vietnamese right into the Southern army there to do the same, a slight misunderstanding left the province in Northern hands. But to the north the Silla Koreans are having a field day with the one Chinese army they are facing, and the Northern Chinese have lost one more province to the Silla Koreans.

The newly emerged Ti (Joe Merz) attempted to take the last turkish province before the Hephthalites or the Chinese could. They did well against the Huns but came up short against the Chinese. They are slowly being surrounded by their neighbors at this time, but seem able to hold their own.

The Burmese seem to have finally found a general, two provinces in two turns all at the expense of the Funanese. The south seems to be where the action is going to pick up quickly.

The Guptas attempted to take the Vakataka central province again and were repulsed by a spirited defense. But were much more successful in their invasion of Chiang, taking one province and poised to threaten all but one of the players in South Asia.

The Sassanids and the Nomadic Huns had a great show down in the north. And while both battles came out in favor of the Sassanid King of Kings, they were both close, well fought battles. And kept the KoK from invading their territory.

Tamil king also ran in to a block when attempting to liberate another Sinhalese province. Frustrating an attmpt to unify souther India.

The Hephthalite Huns went into grab the last Eastern Turkish province and faced not one but the possiblity of three armies wondering the province. They ran into the Ti first and decided it was better to head home. While they will face a resurgent Western Turkish Army in province 75 next turn.

The Southern Chinese were tricked into war with the North by the wiles of the Vietnamese King Ptom. After vacating the province botht eh North and the South attempted to fill the vacum left. The North getting the province. And they also felt the wiles of King Ptom at closer range as their attempt to regain their capital province fell short.

The Vietnamese King Ptom is proud of his moves this last turn, not only did he hold onto a stratigic province he started a war between the two Chinese Dynasties. He must have read "The Prince" as a child.

The Silla Coninued to take the Khitans out from under the Northern Chinese and also made a successful invasion of Paekche. For a slow first year start the Silla are starting to grow.

The Japanese made an attempt to finish off the Emishi again, and the Emishi kind of resented it. They are in a good position at this point to threaten the whole coast of northern asia, if it weren't for those hairy barbarians refusing to be civilized.

And for the Hsuing-Nu, after a great start on the day fight for someone else. the War gods turned their back on the third invasion of Juan-Juan territory. With no luck seen at all the Queen of the Hsuing-nu was repulsed once agian.

For any interested people there are now only two untouched states left. Chamla in the south and Sogdiana in the west. We had 19 battles fought for the day and always look forward to people dropping by.

The next meeting is March 12th at 1:30m at the Guardtower Hobby shop in Columbus. All are welcome.

Mike Stelzer

Dave Welch
03-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Due to some Olympic-Level poor time management on the part of my wife, I'm going to have daughter responsibilities right at the same time as the campaign on the 12th :(

There's an outside chance that my wife will get her time situation straightened out, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Hopefully, the "King of Kings" will attack another all LH army after this upcoming turn so I can experience the rematch I've looked forward to since the last session ;)

jengt
03-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Well, Dave, you may not be the only one with family commitments on Sunday. I have family coming in from out of town & may have to help entertain.

Not that I have a move to make anyways, since my armies are obviously NOT very interrested in taking over the Juan Juan.

Jeff Cope
03-10-2006, 09:25 PM
I've got a question regarding the campaign...

What becomes of the players eliminated from the game? Do they just stop coming to the games, or still come and participate in pick up games?

The reason I ask is that, try as I might, I just can't muster up much enthusism for the region/era of this particular campaign...but, I still really wish to play some DBA (not that my armies are ready, mind you).

So, yeah...just wondering.

Jeff

John Loy
03-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Normally, they keep showing up and play whatever army needs to fight a battle. If someone can't make it or has more battles to fight than they have time.

John

Mike Demana
03-11-2006, 03:57 PM
I think Mike has it set up so that there are possibilities of a "new wave" of invaders via the nomad territories, like the Horse Nomads at the top of the map, the pirates near the bottom, etc.

Of course, he also has a mechanic set up that your generals that have had multiple successes can rebel and set themselves up as their own dynasty...

Of course, no one has been knocked out...yet! And the only one in moderate danger of that is Dave Welch's Nomadic Huns, who picked that kingdom specifically as a learning tool...

And the soonest he could conceivably be eliminated would be in April's meeting...

Mike Demana
03-14-2006, 12:49 AM
Well, Dave, I hate to report that the King of Kings' armies were triumphant, once more. Another province of the Nomadic Huns fell to the Sassanid Persian army on Sunday. Alas, it leaves those stalwart tribesmen little option other than to join the Empire when their final province falls in Spring...they will make good Zoroastrian soldiers, I'm sure.

It's not too late, David...you can snag the Chamla kingdom while they're still a full nation...! Or the Sogdians, though I know better than to WARN you not to take a kingdom, anymore...!

Next date for Dreams is April 9th...or as it will soon appear in Calenders, "Nomadic Huns Remembrance Day"...

Dave Welch
03-14-2006, 11:31 AM
It's not too late, David...you can snag the Chamla kingdom while they're still a full nation...! Or the Sogdians, though I know better than to WARN you not to take a kingdom, anymore...!

Next date for Dreams is April 9th...or as it will soon appear in Calenders, "Nomadic Huns Remembrance Day"... LOL! This does bring up a question, though. If I have two armies left, and they both occupy the same space (my only remaining) does that mean I get 25 stands of LH versus your 13? ;) I'd only have to lose 9 to your 5, right? graemlins/thumbup.gif

I'm with the Nomadic Huns to the bitter end! Only after that would I consider another country to lead...

Pthomas
03-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Dave,

You can begin the turn with more then one army in a province, but must move one of them out. This means of course that you must simply...ATTACK!

Tom

Mike Demana
03-14-2006, 03:16 PM
That might work, Ptom, if it was a normal turn. But I think all province-to-army ratios are refigured in Winter turn (which would be now, actually). So, with next turn being the beginning of Spring turn of next year, he will probably have just one army. I don't remember Mike having a "minimum" number of armies...I think it relates to which provinces you own, and what type they are (i.e., Tribal, subtribal, etc.)

Yes, he can invade with that one army, but you can bet that mine will be doing the same thing...

Pthomas
03-14-2006, 05:45 PM
The King of Kings is cruel and lustful!

Who can oppose his unwelcome advances?!

jengt
03-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Luckily, I'm half-way across the map. I'm sure the evil Northern Chinese will have gobbled up my territory long before the King of Kings gets a chance to.

Dave Welch
03-20-2006, 06:47 PM
I seem to recall that the next meeting is April 9th. Is this correct?

If that is correct, I'm not going to be able to make that one either :(

Would the "King of Kings" graemlins/king.gif (with the permission of the GM) be willing to conduct the inevitable invasion of the peace-loving Huns at a CABS meeting before the 9th? I really want to play out that last battle.

If the next meeting isn't on the 9th, then please disregard this message smile.gif

jengt
03-20-2006, 07:49 PM
You're right, Dave. The next meeting IS on the 9th.

John Loy
03-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Of course, a King with truly ROYAL BEARING would await a moment more conducive to a fair fight graemlins/king.gif

John

Stelzone
03-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Lady and Gentlemen,

The new map should be posted by tonight, and below are our results for the last meeting.

Northern Dynasty Chinese (or better known as the Swiss Army knife army) won three very critical battles. The last Eastern Turkish Province was taken. If there are no revolts then this will be the second complete take over of a Kingdom, quit yelling " I was first" Mike. Next was a quick trip into another Southern Dynasty province, and lastly a successful defense of the last Khitan province from the "liberating" SHilla Koreans.

The Burmese found the southern jungles of Funan to be tougher than the northern and were kept from finishing off Funan for another year.

The Vietnamese attempted to take another Southern Chinese province and found success hard in the Chinese lowlands.

The Shilla Koreans while missing an opportunity in the North, won a second province from the Paekche Koreans. Is Korean unity coming??

The Alans attempted to finish off the Ferganans, Ferganians??, as they brought together an army to break the siege of their nation. The Alans scurried home for the winter, vowing to come back someday.

The Japanese had some success in finishing off the Emishi only to learn that the Emishi were bigger than they had thought. The home islands are now all controlled by the Japanese, but the island of Sakhalin (126) is also a part of the Emishi culture.

The Guptas sent their victorious armies further into Chiang territory and found it very inviting. A second province fell to them.

The Sassanids attacked the poor beleagured Nomadic Huns this last turn stripping them of a province. One left and a nasty surprise awaiting!!

We still have two untouched nations. Chamla, an early Khmer type nation, between the Vietnamese and Fun an. And the area of Sogdiana, Central Asian City-state, now caught between the Sassanids, Hephthalites and Alans. Several partial nations are still out there but are falling fast.

The next meeting is April 9th at 1:30 in the Guardtower Hobby Shop in Columbus.

Mike S.

[ March 22, 2006, 16:09: Message edited by: Stelzone ]

Mike Demana
03-25-2006, 12:24 AM
...The Sassanids attacked the poor beleagured Nomadic Huns this last turn stripping them of a province. One left and a nasty surprise awaiting!!
You know...if you slap my butt with a multitude of rebellions, again, I'm going to charge you double for all camp purchases from now on!!!

The King of Kings, aka the Camp Pimp

Stelzone
03-25-2006, 01:26 AM
Thought you were going to be out of town??? No rebellions at all this year. Just one roll that worked in someones favor, think what happened when the Huns and Gepids got together farther west??

Dave has some allied help for at least next year.

Mike (Glad he can't see my evil grin. Whoa, DK is rubbing off, next I'll start twirling my mustache.)

Jeff Cope
03-26-2006, 11:52 AM
I think Mike has it set up so that there are possibilities of a "new wave" of invaders via the nomad territories, like the Horse Nomads at the top of the map, the pirates near the bottom, etc.
Pirates? Arrr....now there's something I can get excited about! Sure, I realize these pirates are about 1,000 years too early and in the wrong part of the world from me beloved pirates of lore...but, still...

April 9th...beware the pirates!

Jeff

Mike Demana
04-02-2006, 08:14 PM
My ally the Hepthalite Huns (Steve Cole) would NEVER double cross their Sassanid brothers! Their king (Old King Cole?) is to upright a man for that, so you must mean other evil inventions. And yes, I remember what happened in Attila's remnant empire...the Gepids turned on their Hun overlords and led a rebellion that overthrew them? What, pray tell, does that have to do with the King of Kings?

Now, if you tell me that one of my +1 generals rolled that 1 in 6 chance to go turncoat, all camps are now TRIPLE price to you!!!

John Loy
04-02-2006, 08:54 PM
all camps are now TRIPLE price to you!!! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Go Ahead, I'll buy em and pass them to you graemlins/thumbup.gif

John

Stelzone
04-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Mike,

Wrong Huns Mike, the Nomadic Huns will have a single army made up of Huns and Gepids. The second is straight Huns, that was the rolls made. You complained about rebellions last year, this year only one bad roll and it affected you. Karma I think!! tongue.gif

See everyone Sunday.

Mike

Pthomas
04-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Well, I suppose, if you own half the provinces on the map, you should have a pretty good chance of random bad things happening to you.

That's my theory, anyway!

Tiny Jungle Monarch

John Loy
04-03-2006, 01:50 PM
As Co-founder of the Greater Asian Anti-Sassnid and Co-prosperity Sphere (GAACS!!!). I urge all to ally with your Southern Bretheren and STRIKE NORTH!!

We will allow a grace period for the Heph's to see the error of their ways and shake off the yoke of THE OPPRESSOR!!! graemlins/thumbup.gif

Mike Demana
04-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Mike,

Wrong Huns Mike, the Nomadic Huns will have a single army made up of Huns and Gepids. The second is straight Huns, that was the rolls made. You complained about rebellions last year, this year only one bad roll and it affected you. Karma I think!! Karma, eh? I got slapped with 2 of the 3 provinces I took rebelling, last year. No one else came even close to that percentage. And the only rebellion this year? Niiice.

Well, so what happened? Did you see Dave's post one wanting to meet elsewhere and fight out one of the battles involving him? I think he meant to do it ahead of time, but it sounds like its pretty complex, so maybe we should do it AFTER Sunday...that is, if you are okay with it.

Is the new map up yet? Just curious.

And for anyone wanting to join the direction-impaired Burmese's coalition, the King of Kings would like to point out his lands lie to the WEST...not North.

Looking forward to Sunday,

John Loy
04-03-2006, 06:21 PM
A closer look at the map would show that the Burmese have to go North to go anywhere. West gets really wet really quick :rolleyes:

See you Sunday!

Stelzone
04-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Mike

If dave can't make it Sunday then anytime you two can get together is fine. I have no problem with battles being settled else where. If you win these the Huns are dispersed for now.

Mike

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Stelzone:
Mike,

Wrong Huns Mike, the Nomadic Huns will have a single army made up of Huns and Gepids. The second is straight Huns, that was the rolls made. You complained about rebellions last year, this year only one bad roll and it affected you. Karma I think!! Karma, eh? I got slapped with 2 of the 3 provinces I took rebelling, last year. No one else came even close to that percentage. And the only rebellion this year? Niiice.

Well, so what happened? Did you see Dave's post one wanting to meet elsewhere and fight out one of the battles involving him? I think he meant to do it ahead of time, but it sounds like its pretty complex, so maybe we should do it AFTER Sunday...that is, if you are okay with it.

Is the new map up yet? Just curious.

And for anyone wanting to join the direction-impaired Burmese's coalition, the King of Kings would like to point out his lands lie to the WEST...not North.

Looking forward to Sunday, </font>[/QUOTE]

Steve Cole
04-07-2006, 08:00 PM
My ally the Hepthalite Huns (Steve Cole) would NEVER double cross their Sassanid brothers! Their king (Old King Cole?) is to upright a man for thatOld King Cole will remain a loyal ally (for now). tongue.gif
Another army and 2 extra units should serve the White Huns well while feeling pressure from the east and potential threat from the south. But the next offensive hmmmmmmmm.............. graemlins/thumbup.gif

[ April 09, 2006, 18:17: Message edited by: Steve Cole ]

Mike Demana
04-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Hmm...Old King Cole didn't show after all! Steve, it appears one of your neighbors (not me!) took a small bite out of one of your conquests. And no, it's not the one you'd think...the Guptas left you alone. The Alans nabbed one of your provinces -- you should have been there!

As for me, I'm glad I'd agreed to delay the fighting of my battles till Dave Welch and I could get together. I had an absolutely pathetic afternoon of DBA. I let the last Emishi province get conquered by losing to Dylan; I allowed the Northern "Bent on World Conquest" Dynasties Chinese expand into the Horse Nomad provinces by losing to Jason; and finally, I failed as Fergana against Allen's Alans, losing the city-state's independence.

Yikes. Should have got me while I was down, Dave...!

Dave Welch
04-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Yikes. Should have got me while I was down, Dave...! Naw, this is better. No excuses for the "King of Kings"! ;)

fatcat217
04-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Now why should Old King Cole feel any potential pressure from the South? The Guptas are busy elsewhere..unless he's feeling guilty about his diplomatic decisions.

Dave Welch
04-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Stories from the Front Line:

The Nomadic Huns, bolstered by the addition of units from our opporessed Gepid brothers, attacked into territory violently stolen from the Gepids by that scourge and plague upon the world known as the "King of Kings".

The assault was two-pronged (spaces 104 and 105).

Our original army (all LH) entered 105 and met the "King"'s army in somewhat hilly terrain bordered by some rough areas. And while the intial strategy of running a column of LH around the "King"'s left flank appeared to be paying dividends, the center of our formation simply could not hold against the more experienced cavalry employed by the tyrant.

The second army, made up of refugees from surrounding territories, entered 104 with high hopes that the less experienced general (the only one he has that doesn't get +1 pips) would be more easily overcome. There was some redeployment at the beginning of the engagement as each side attempted to bring to bear it's best forces against the weakest of the enemy. But as the armies clashed the unthinkable happened! A TRAITOR in the midst of the army of Gepid Liberation! This fiend would only go by the moniker of "The Die". How appropos as this cowardly scum caused the disintegration of the center of the army's formation (rolled 4 1's in a row).

The remnants of our forces were forced to retire to our one remaining province where we hope to withstand the onslaught that is sure to arrive.

Side note: At least I won the die roll to determine whether I was attacking or defending. The only reason the Nomadic Huns still exist!

Steve Cole
04-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by fatcat217:
Now why should Old King Cole feel any potential pressure from the South? The Guptas are busy elsewhere..unless he's feeling guilty about his diplomatic decisions. On the first day of the campaign, the White Huns invaded south to test the classical indians. My 8 LH did not like all those arrows raining upon them or being trampled by elephants.
It's always in the back of Old King Cole's mind that the Gupta's will seek revenge. Maybe not this year, but the war will take place again. Old King Cole will be better prepared next time.

Jason S
04-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Sorry its taken this long, but things happen.

Well we'll start with the last and work our way through the Spring turn.

The Sassanids, well what can we say even theough the Japanese were able to finish off their pesky neighbors, the Nomadic Hun/Gepid remnants will be around for Summer. The King of Kings defeated a double invasion that could have caused great joy for the starving masses of huns and Gepids forced out of their grazing lands. No provinces lost or gained.

And as we mentioned the Japanese Clans have finished the remnants of the Emishi off and if they can contain the revolts will have added greatly to their Empire. Province 126 taken.

The Southern dynasty Chinese continued to benifit from the Princely moves of the Vietnamese ruler, regaining one of their provinces without a fight and another from their Northern cousins with a fight. Provinces 37 and 39 retaken.

The Northern Dynasty Chinese continued to try and expand. They invaded three provinces winning two of them, one each from the Horse Nomads and regaining a Khitan. But were pulled up short in Korea by a defeat and losing a province to the Southern Dynasty as well. Provinces 115 and 22 gained, 37 lost.

Shilla were very active for a small nation looking to expand, their invasion of the last Khitan province was preempted by the Northerners, but their drive to finish off the last of the Paekche was successful, the next year could see an expansion of Korean might. Province 11 gained, 22 lost.

And the surprising Burmese are on a roll, a invasion to finish off the Funan nation and a spoiler in Chamla. The invasion of the last Funan province gives burma complete control, barring revolts next year. And as the Chamla wer invaded twice(actually all provinces lost in one turn), Burma emerged with a piece of the pie. Provinces 50 and 49 gained.

They Vietnamese done with political moves waited a turn to long to take over their western nieghbors, while the northern prong of their plan met and defeated the main Chamla army the southern prong had picnicas and strolls as the second army was busy losing to their western nieghbor. What could have benn a magnificient set of moves only gives 2/3 of the pie instead. tsk,tsk. Provinves gained 47 and 48.

The rampaging Guptas continued, with some unso suttle moves they finished off the Vakataka. (Oh, where is the Panther; sorry a Turtledove aside.) They held off on finishing the Chiang, could we end up with another multiple state invasion?? Provinces gained 88 and 90.

The Tamil attempting to bring their inhalese cousins to heel, were rudely made aware they didn't want to be. Their invaision turned back what will summer bring.

Oh, lament for the poor Queen of the Hsuing-Nu, complaining taht she never had good omans when forced to wait her early battle, didn't help either. Face it the rest of the Juan-Juan just don't want top join, but I think the omens have to change at some point.

And the Alans were active again, the stealth nation again. With three invasions attempted and two successes. Fergana was brought to task by the new allied Tashkent army under Alan control, as they Alan armies proceeded to liberate one of the Western Turkish provinces from the Hephthalite Huns. Another area of interest growing here as Empires start to collide. Only failure was in the Horse nomad region. Provinces gained 69 and 74.

next meeting is may 7th at 1:30, I'm going to try and be a little early as they have some other event going on that uses multiple tables. Update on website should be done tonight as well.

Mike

Mike Demana
04-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Hmm..."Jason S" posts as the GM....perhaps, now we find a reason for the dominance of the Northern Dynasties Chinese? Is Jason really running this campaign with his Dad as a puppet, pulled by the teen's hidden strings???

Nah! Can't take credit away from the Kid's successes. He has a tough army and has learned to use it well.

And Old King Cole invaded the Guptas on a turn that he wasn't going to be able to attend to fight out the battle in person? Never let it be said the Hepthalites lack guts...maybe they lack some troops tougher than Light Horse, but guts no...

King of Kings

fatcat217
04-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Wow, I didn't know that the Huns had invaded the Guptas before i got here; thay sort of gives us vindication to invade...but seriously folks, the Southern Confederation is reaching out to touch some Jason further north, not west. (signed)Babar,lord of the elephants

Mike Demana
05-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Well, it was a relatively light day in Mike Stelzer's Dreams of Dynasty campaign yesterday at the Guardtower. A number of players had no battles as they'd finished off their Spring invasions out of position to continue with a summer one, or their opponents were defeated. Others (like me), had only one battle. I believe 10 players showed up, not counting the GM.

The King of Kings received both welcome news, as well as greivous tidings. The reports from the far north were that his invasion and final subjugation of the Nomadic Huns was complete. No bloodthirsty barbarian to eradicate a people, the King of Kings has instead begun training the doughty steppe warriors on how to fight nobly like Persians. The woeful tidings that were received were the death of his old ally, the King of the Hepthalite Huns. The eldest son assumes the reins of the sprawling kingdom, but whether he will honor his father's alliances is uncertain. (Steve Cole has dropped out of the campaign due to personal time committments, according to Mike Stelzer. So, guess who takes his place? Oh...perhaps the player whose kingdom I just subjugated???).

The King of Kings has dispatched an emissary with appropriate gifts and congratulations and condolences to the new King of the Hepthalite Huns, Dave Welch...

Stelzone
06-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Guys and lady,

Looks like June is going to be a bust with the campaign. Start sending me dates that are open in July. Will update asap. Signed up for some extra work at school, thought it was for one day and arrive to be told it is 5 days and probably work at home as well. Geez, I'm not getting a break this spring. Still have all the catch up yard work to do to.

Mike S.

Stelzone
07-12-2006, 10:36 PM
At what seems to be a request, here are the people with armies eligable for attcks next bound; Fall of 503.

Alans- 1
Sassanids- 2
Ti- 2
Southern Chinese- 3
Northern Chinese - 2
Shilla -0
Vietnamese- 2
Burmese- 1
Tamil-1
Gupta- 1
Japanese- 2 or 3
The rest are at 0.

All new attacks will be on players, if no one wants to start a new war at the end of a year fine I understand. Problem is if we have only two invasions not much for anyone to do. So my way of solving this is tro ask everyone to send me their moves for the next bound Fall 503, if you need to know eligable attacks I'll send them. If know one wants to attack then we will start Spring 504 at the next meeting. So if everyone would like to let me know what you want to do, we can plan accordingly.

Terry you are right I had the battles turned around for Jason, you kept the province and it will be reflected that way in the next update.

Mike

Mike

Stelzone
07-12-2006, 10:38 PM
We are meeting at same time on July 16th for those who would like to attend. Joe I don't seem to have an email for you so if you read this send me an email so I can add you to the list.

Mike

Stelzone
08-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Campaign meeting is set for August 27th at 1:30. See you all there, if you can't make it send me your moves in an email.

Mike S.

Mike Demana
08-28-2006, 08:38 PM
It was a bit smaller of a turnout than normal, but there were 8 players attempting to expand their kingdoms.

After a season of regrouping, the King of Kings sent a Sassanid Persian army into the land of the Sogdians (Central Asian City States). The cavalry of this land are numerous and fierce, and it was felt amongst the commanders that they figured to be our most severe test, yet. We were particularly worried about their massed infantry archers, holding the Sogdian left flank. However, our own infantry and elephants were brought to bear against them, and the archers crumbled. The same was true on the opposite end of the battleline, where our mounted troops outflanked theirs. With both ends of their line falling back, victory was won.

Elsewhere in the campaign, the Silla Koreans seem to be picking up steam, rolling to victory after victory. The Northern Chinese, though, seem to have finally bitten off more than they could chew, and are suffering from a string of defeats and difficulties further expanding their realm.

All eyes are turned toward the East, where a number of player kingdoms are already at war, and more have run out of "buffer states" between them and their neighbors.

Red_Panther
09-25-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm curious as to how your campaign works. Could you post the rules or send them to me?

Stelzone
10-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Panther,

The rules are still in flux, as I work out problems I fix them. This was to be a test for a European based campaign. But also an area that I thought would be fun and different. Lots of Light trops few heavies. As the Campaign has gone on there are some bugs in it that need fixed. When we finish I plan on posting all the rules. The European campaign will use a slightly different set. Sorry it took so long to respond have been way to busy.

Mike S.

John Loy
10-09-2006, 04:02 PM
What he means is that he makes them up as he goes along :-). How it goes depends on whether he's in a bad mood or not and if you've beaten him lately ( Doh!!)

John

Big fun though

Stelzone
10-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Lets see what province did you think you took last round. And will look at those rebellions. My,my tough year for the Burmese.

:P

John Loy
10-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Thought you were busy!!??

J

jengt
11-15-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm assuming there will be no meeting in November...what about December?

Gotta make my Holiday plans :)

Jenny

John Loy
11-15-2006, 03:01 PM
I think you should get a Northern Chinese province and a Juan-Juan in a pear tree!!

jengt
12-13-2006, 02:38 PM
OK, so December's out...what about January?:D

Pthomas
12-13-2006, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't mind a Northern Chinese Province and a Khitan in a pear tree...

jengt
12-13-2006, 06:53 PM
I think Jason MAY have a problem with everybody else getting a Northern Chinese province. Not a very Merry Christmas for him!

Red_Panther
12-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Sorry it took so long to respond have been way to busy.

Mike S.

That's alright. I was hoping to sell some friends on DBA and get a campaign in 20mm scale going. It didn't happen though. Hopefully I can talk some of them into DBA over the college winter break.

jengt
01-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Bump.

Anybody out there? :confused:

Are we ever going to get back together?

Jeff Caruso
01-16-2007, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE=Red_Panther]That's alright. I was hoping to sell some friends on DBA and get a campaign in 20mm scale going. QUOTE]

Did you try EBAY instead? Are they still available? Was there a reserve that wasn't met or are they defective in some way?:D

Jeff(obviously suffering from cabin fever)

Stelzone
01-16-2007, 03:03 PM
I have been way to busy, ment to have next meeting planned by now. But I haven't had time to look for a new site. Do we want to work with the crowd at guardtoewer or have people start looking for sites for me? School is starting to interfer with my gaming, don't like that. LOL Oh,well retirement is within sight. Hole to do restart oneway or other in Feb.

Mike S.

Red_Panther
01-18-2007, 01:12 AM
"Did you try EBAY instead? Are they still available? Was there a reserve that wasn't met or are they defective in some way?"

-Jeff Caruso

Right now, the 20mm stuff is gathering dust. I bought some 10mm stuff because I thought it would be easier to prepare and paint, but so far it too has joined the 20mm stuff on the stuff to do in the future. I'm not sure if I'm going to sell the 20mm models or not. I'm still thinking about it.

I bought a copy of HotT and that has became my default war gaming ruleset now. The plan is to rebase my Warhammer stuff to it. Then start a club or demo it to get some opponents.

Mike Demana
01-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Do we want to work with the crowd at guardtower or have people start looking for sites for me?

I have to admit I'm not particularly excited about fighting the crowds at the Guardtower, again. And the cats. Particularly the cats...

Anyway, one idea is if we decided to change the day to Saturday, we could always do it at Frankie's Cafe in Grooove City. Not sure how that'd work out with folks' schedules, though.

Jeff Caruso
01-19-2007, 01:19 AM
[QUOTE=Red_Panther]That's alright. I was hoping to sell some friends on DBA ... QUOTE]

Did you try EBAY instead? Are they still available? Was there a reserve that wasn't met or are they defective in some way?:D

Jeff(obviously suffering from cabin fever)

Sometimes a plan doesn't come together. Better editing required.;)

Jeff

Red_Panther
01-23-2007, 12:33 AM
Sometimes a plan doesn't come together. Better editing required.

Ah, I wasn't sure if I was reading that right. Yeah, my friends are defective, since they have little time to get together and game anymore. Unfortunately, Ebay doesn't let you trade or sell people! :D

Dave Welch
01-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Anyway, one idea is if we decided to change the day to Saturday, we could always do it at Frankie's Cafe in Grooove City. Not sure how that'd work out with folks' schedules, though.

Saturday is MUCH better for me, FWIW.

John Loy
01-25-2007, 12:25 PM
OK, Dave's house Saturday!

Pthomas
01-25-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm flexible, but not unconditionally guaranteed...my family can find something for me to do on any day of the week!

Stelzone
01-25-2007, 05:01 PM
I don't mind but Jason has Tae Qwan Do, or what ever the new spelling is, on saturdays. Most of us it looks like will be at the Wexford get together on Sunday we can discuss it there.

Mike

fatcat217
02-01-2007, 12:33 AM
I'd love to make it to a gaming session..I've had to work the past three sundays...upgraded the Jap Hott, crreated a Norse Hott, finishing a EIR dba army. This saturday I'm tearing out the bathroom walls. hopefully i'm off this sunday. Thinking about making an Amazon Hott army. Half naked women with weapons sounds like fun.

Stelzone
02-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Well I was told that the Guardtower is filled to capacity on Sundays now. We started a trend. Oh, aye, it lost us a place to play,too. We need to find one soon or call the campaign, I don't mind saturday's but we lose Jason. Frankie's would work, if that is what most players want. Chime in and let me know.

Mike

fatcat217
02-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Well I was told that the Guardtower is filled to capacity on Sundays now. We started a trend. Oh, aye, it lost us a place to play,too. We need to find one soon or call the campaign, I don't mind saturday's but we lose Jason. Frankie's would work, if that is what most players want. Chime in and let me know.

Mike
Sundays are okay, working them is a temporary aberration. And if you want to start the european one instead, that sounds good. I'll find frankies in groove city can't be too hard..

John Loy
02-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Frankie's is a good spot. Tell Jason his empire is pretty much dust anyway :-)

John

jengt
02-01-2007, 12:47 PM
I like Frankies. It's a good spot & we don't have to worry about kids & their card games nudging us out of space. But, I hate Jason having to lose out on playing.

Jenny

Dave Welch
02-01-2007, 04:49 PM
OK, Dave's house Saturday!

My 2 dogs and 2 cats would insist on being allowed to play... ;)

Mike Demana
02-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Well, it seems to me we have two choices, as you pointed out.

1. Continue the Dreams of Dynasty campaign at Frankie's (since no other place has presented itself). As GM, you take Jason's moves/orders and tell him that he will get to play half his battles, whether against you at home at your leisure, or Bob Boggs or some other local. The other half his opponents and fellow players will fight out on his behalf. That way he's not completely out of the campaign, he gets to play some of his kingdom's conflicts, and his kingdom is not left on autopilot.

2. Shelf the Dreams of Dynasty campaign and start another one. Now, all those folks who went out and purchased armies for this one may not like it, but then again, it's not like they can't use them in DBA tourneys whenever they want to! Once again, unless someone else comes up with a different place to play, Saturdays at Frankie's could be the default.

One side note: Rich Hartley has reserved Frankie's at least initially on a bimonthly basis, so we'd be playing only every other month there. Now, that's not to say if he knew we had a campaign that met there regularly that he couldn't move it to monthly. I think in the long run he wants to.

Which do I prefer, #1 or #2? Actually, either one is fine with me. The one thing I don't want to happen is Jason to be told "tough luck" you're out of the campaign. And I'm sure as his Dad, you don't want that either!

John Loy
02-02-2007, 08:21 AM
It is always difficult to make everyone's schedule happy. I like Jason being able to play also, even remotely; although he might feel pressured if he had to fight half his battles against his Dad :)

If you really feel the need to play on Sunday, I'm pretty sure I can get the Comic Shop easy enough; of course Y'all have to drive to Nerk!

I liked Frankie's, too bad he's closed on Sunday :(

John

Stelzone
02-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Well, if we are to move day, then we would have to do something about Jason. Don't know what, he has also started a band which is now eating time as well. As to starting the 1000 AD game it is a no go right now. All I have is a map and some ideas and no time to put it together. I have learned simpler is better from DoD. I would love to continue the present campaign, but with two of the main nations not being represented it causes a problem. Same as not finding a new venue for Sundays. Problem with Nerk Comic Shop is it is well over an hour drive for me. If some else would like to start up a campaign at Frankie's while we ponder it, it isn't going to hurt my feelings. I would even like a HOTT campaingn to play in.

And as a side note it isn't fair for Jason to play me all the time, I know his weaknesses and can exploit them. He is to good a player to destroyu any confidence he has like that. (wouldn't do that to any player that young) And if I take it easy on him that isn't fair to the rest. So I would opt for a new campaign or game day at Frankie's as the easy route.

Mike

Stelzone
02-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Since rereading the above post, I thought I had better clairify myself. I'm not done with the DoD campaign, it could end in as short as two more years of game play or go longer. It is the problems with day and players I'm concerned about.

John Loy
02-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Well, if everyone would just allow themselves the peace of joining The Greater Burmese Co-Prosperity Sphere. We could all proceed to the next campaign.

Mike Demana
02-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Well, I was seriously considering chiming in and saying I'd be willing to run a regular GLADBAG HOTT campaign. I have a set of fantasy campaign rules I wrote awhile back I could tweak to fit into Hordes of the Things. However, I have one big issue holding me back: My work schedule's iminent (or not so iminent) change.

As some of you have heard me bitch, when my airline (America West) bought USAirways, our CEO decided to put it through as a merger rather than a outright purchase. This meant all the Union contracts fall under national rules, which means their union that outnumbers ours by 3-to-1, will be the final union. And the USAirways guys in Columbus have all been working for their company longer than America West has been around. So, basically our entire America West station will go to the bottom of the seniority list. Bye-bye day shift and weekends off. I could quite likely be looking at working evenings with something like Monday-Tuesday off. So, meeting at Frankie's for a regular campaign could be out the door in a few months, six months, whatever.

I'd be willing to run it as a Play By E-Mail campaign, if that does happen. However, your guys' call. If you want me to start a campaign I won't be able to show up for down the road, I'm willing...

Let me know...

Mike Demana
03-01-2007, 01:07 AM
cue to the sound of crickets chirping...

Soooo, guess no one's interested! Call me the Thread Killer!

Zekestrom
03-01-2007, 06:08 AM
THREAD KILLER!!!

Seriously, though, I'd jump into a HOTT campaign in a heartbeat, but I'm just a tad too far from Columbus to reliably show up. I'd hoped to save such things for a day when I (hopefully) will be a bit closer.

Meanwhile, I'll stick to running the occasional tournament :).

Dave Welch
03-01-2007, 10:05 AM
I'll play in any campaign just to get more practice in. Like the Dreams campaign, I don't have an army, yet (heh heh). I'm pulling IC's now, would you allow my proposed HOTT army to participate? ;) I got the CPU fan working...

Stelzone
03-01-2007, 10:06 AM
cue to the sound of crickets chirping...

Soooo, guess no one's interested! Call me the Thread Killer!

Not really, Dreams might be on hold for the minute, but I'm the one who mentioned a HOTT cmpaign. What if we kept it simple like the ones in the book format. Could run in 1-3 sessions. We might also, want to find a wa for all to participate even if nation is conquered. The book rules do this. I really am busy right now with school S**T, wid=sh it was classroom things those are easy. I haven't had time to look for a new venue unless ya'll want to drive to Fairborn or Dayton.

Mike S.

Mike Demana
03-02-2007, 05:47 PM
would you allow my proposed HOTT army to participate? ;) I got the CPU fan working...

Not on your life! No "computer chip" armies, no Button Armies, no Pocket Lint armies!

Call me an elitest pig...make that a Thread-killing, elitest pig!

Dave Welch
03-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Call me an elitest pig...make that a Thread-killing, elitest pig!

Hey, I'm actually *considering* using some miniatures.... doesn't that count?

"Elitest Pig"? Nawww, I think of you more as a Purist Snob ;)

Stelzone
04-02-2007, 08:28 AM
It looks like our campaign is on hold for the moment, but the good news it that Frankie's is talking about opening on Sundays. If so we have a spot for olur games and will be able to finish up the campaign. As it is Mike D. is talking of a SYW campaign using a modified set of Hott rules. I played it Saturday and it was simple and fun. Even though my dice not only deserted me; I think they actually sailed for a distant land during that game. It was very fun. Mike willing to play in a campaign of the SYW rules.