PDA

View Full Version : First Crusade 1097AD Map

Pavane
11-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Here is a link to a couple of campaign maps for the First Crusade 1097AD: Map (http://groups.msn.com/HammersoftheNorth/historical.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=5409&all_topics=0)

As you can read in the discussion it is difficult to match the abstract sample map from the DBA book when constrained by historical geography. Our club is planning to play the campaign in January.

Comments and/or suggestions are welcome.

Ares
11-11-2005, 04:39 PM
The abstract sample map in the book is just that: a sample. Don't fixate on it. I wouldn't worry about trying to translate it directly to the historical map, or feel constrained by it. In a historical campaign such as the one your club is planning, I would much prefer to use the locations and routes actually derived from history. The campaign system will still function as is.

Eric

Pavane
11-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the comments. The message board reduced the size of the map. I have it as a 1280 x 1024 jpeg if anyone wants a copy.

Chris Brantley
11-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Once you guys playtest this, I'd love to be able to capture it , with any specific rules and map as a resource for other Fanatici interested in running an Early Crusades campaign.

David Kuijt
11-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Where is the land link between Byzantium and Armenia, the Cilician Gates?

Pavane
11-30-2005, 11:17 PM
@Chris: You posted a link on a recent Fanaticus: "David Lavictoire forwards a link to some Arab/Ghulam shield designs for those seeking inspiration" link here (http://www.wargamesdomain.com/Other/Shields/ShieldDesigns.html). Dave is hosting/running the 25mm DBA game and is uncertain at this point as to whether it will be a tournament or campaign. I had some time on my hands and threw together a couple of campaign map concepts to help the project along.

@David: I am not a student of the period and I wanted to keep the map as close to the sample campaign map in DBA as possible. In the DBA campaign the Byzantine Empire IV/1a is adjacent to the Seljuks III/73b and do not have a direct link to the Armenians IV/2. Although abstract, it should serve our purposes.