PDA

View Full Version : Paul Potter's WOTR Campaign

Roland Fricke
06-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Our group played Paul Potter's War of the Roses mini campaign yesterday at the club. WOW! This was a great event. Very simple campaign rules and victory points so most of the time was spent gaming and not on all the in between stuff. Everybody commented how much fun we had and there was a lot of interaction between players on the 2 foot by 4 foot board. We had 8 players (each with 6 eleemnts) and got games done in about an hour (the second game was actually 50 minutes). It was a more social event than the usual individual games with players switching sides between games. We assigned players randomly to sides.

So a big thanks to Paul Potter for publishing these rules on Fanaticus. The link is http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/campaigns/WOTR.html

We plan to do this again but switch to a Roman, Greek or Egytian theme and just modify what elements are worth victory points. The other potential change might be in the element selection process and we might make up groups of 6 elements and players pick the group rather than one eleemnt at a time. With 8 players picking elements it went a little slow. Plus for these other periods it allows us to build allied commands.

John Meunier
06-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Sounds like a great time.

1d6 pips per six element command sounds like a lot, though. Did the wealth of pips matter at all?

John Meunier
06-13-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm confused about this from the campaign rules.

From the Fanaticus Resources Page

The battle is over when one side loses one third of its total elements or its CnC. Individual commands are demoralized unless they lose their general. Use DBA Big Battle rules for demoralized commands.
Should that say that individual commands are NOT demoralized unless they lose their general?

Roland Fricke
06-13-2005, 08:20 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the Fanaticus Resources Page

The battle is over when one side loses one third of its total elements or its CnC. Individual commands are demoralized unless they lose their general. Use DBA Big Battle rules for demoralized commands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sounds like a typo.

We played it as a command was demoralized when it lost its general or 2 elements (1/3) the command. Game ended when the CinC was killed or a side lost 1/3 orf its total eleemnts.

We modified the demoralization effects for a command though as follows since I don't like the BBDBA demoralization rules:
a) a demoralized command gets -1 to every die roll (combat and PIP die)
b) a demoralized command can use PIPs to initiate contact/move groups or elements normally. BUT if an group or element doesn't have a PIP issued it will flee.

We had quite a few commands lose their general thus suffering the -1 PIP for demoralization and the +1 PIP cost for not having a general. These commands ended up having to flee some units as there just aren't enough PIPs since they ended up having only enough PIPs to make 1 or two moves since the general was lost and sometimes no PIPs on a roll of one or two if the geral was lost.

Regarding PIPs, nobody thought there were too many which we too were initially worried about. A few die rolls of 1 or 2 is still not enough to do everything you want to do (and I should know as I continued my usual streak).

With the majority of units being Kn/Bl/Bw distributed in 6 element commands the battle became very broken up as Bl try to avoid Kn, Kn avoid Bw and Bw avoid Bl in a wild PIP expending melee. Additionally the "extra" PIPs made the game move. We finished games with 4 players and 24 elements per side in an hour.

[ June 13, 2005, 17:25: Message edited by: Roland Fricke ]

Pozanias
06-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Roland Fricke:
quote:
Regarding PIPs, nobody thought there were too many which we too were initially worried about. A few die rolls of 1 or 2 is still not enough to do everything you want to do (and I should know as I continued my usual streak).
Actually, I thought there were too many PIPs, but not by as much as I would have thought. Many of the commands were still somehow hampered by low PIPs. I think that a nice modification might be to max out at 4 PIPs.

1=1
2=2
3=3
4=4
5=4
6=4

Having said all that, the campaign was really fun. The system was simple and elegant. The games were fun, social, and fast moving.

[ June 13, 2005, 19:14: Message edited by: Pozanias ]

Paul Potter
06-14-2005, 02:23 AM
Wow, thanks for the report. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed it. The goal of the format was to have an enjoyable time. thanks, -Paul

Roland Fricke
06-14-2005, 08:30 AM
It was definitely a great time Paul.

I think if we had LH in the mix we would have felt the excess of PIPs more so if we do a Roman theme then I think we will need to do something about reducing PIPs.