PDA

View Full Version : Finding First Man in Rome

billj
04-11-2005, 01:04 PM
A few months back I saw what looked to be an excellent campaign. I believe it was called the first man in Rome. I was a rather long set of rules and included some utilites. I looked in the campaign section and I found a First Man in Rome campaign but it wasn't the same one. Does anyone have an idea of where I can find the one I'm talking about? Thanks

xeswop
04-11-2005, 03:39 PM
I used this expression for a DBA tournaments a number of years ago, after reading the book by that name by Colleen McCullough. I have done it at some conventions. Other, similar, tournaments have been the Constable of France, Alexander vs World, Teutoic Crusades.

The basic principle is that one group of players use a Roman army or different Roman armies and fight, in turn, a set of enemies. If doing just one army, such as Marian, then the enemies can be Gauls, Britians, Pontus, Armenia or Spain. Sometimes just one player does all games as a specific enemy, sometimes players rotate. Also, different Roman armies can be used each with a classic enemy and both groups of players rotate pairs. The Constable of France has Medieval France fight 4 different enemies. 4 is a common number because 4 hours is about a max number for a convention.

So at its simplest, it is a series of games with players using historical enemies. I like it because I can give trophies to two winners -- best Roman and best enemy.

Here is an another more complex version that always seemed interesting.
http://home.comcast.net/~dicemanrick/Index.htm

billj
04-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks you very much. That's exactly what I was looking for.