PDA

View Full Version : Solo Campaigning

Chris Brantley
08-21-2003, 09:02 PM
Has anyone tried running a solo campaign? Tips or suggestions?

Dhingis Khan
08-21-2003, 09:34 PM
Don't cheat!

Basil Bulgar-Slayer
08-22-2003, 10:39 AM
I never play with myself! Blindness and hairy knuckles, doncha know.

And, there is no end to the locals that like to play.

Badger
08-22-2003, 05:09 PM
Chris, are you looking for ideas on developing some sort of strategic-level artificial intelligence for the various armies -- maybe "standing orders" would be a better term? It's not clear to me what you're looking for, I guess.

Chris Brantley
08-22-2003, 05:54 PM
Two components here, I guess.

First is running a true campaign. Some people are able to squeeze it into a day at the club, or run small enough groups that they can keep it going over several meetings. I've seen some others try running campaigns where they rely on other players to fight the battles using specified match-ups (or even use DBAOL) and send in their results, which are incorporated into the campaign. But I haven't seen anyone mention running a solo campaign.

Which raises the second component. In order to run a solo campaign, you presumably need a mechanism for fighting solo battles. There are some tools available for such in the Fanaticus resources, but generally speaking I don't think there is a lot of solo gaming going on out there.

The underlying idea is that putting a game into a broader political/military/geographical setting (i.e. a campaign) can add a lot of interest. It's the same reason why the Sword and the Flame skirmish rules had provisions to tie together battles to allow personalities to develop and progress toward goals (e.g. getting the Victoria Cross).

If that type of gaming is of interest, and given that pulling off a continuous campaign with multiple players is often too difficult, then solo campaigning is an option.

(n.b., before I was a wargamer, I was an AD&D dungeonmaster, and have always loved creating/running imaginary "worlds". In one sense, a solo campaign is an extension of that.)

So in summary, I'm looking for input from folks who may have given similar thought (or who have experience) to running a solo campaign. Standing orders are one concept. Another might be a die system for determining diplomatic or military relations between countries.

Secondarily, I am interested in additional tips or suggested systems for fighting solo battles.

[ August 22, 2003, 14:56: Message edited by: Chris Brantley ]

Dhingis Khan
08-24-2003, 01:40 AM
Warrior Kings is a set of rules from Two Hour Wargames. There is a set of campaign rules included which might do well for a solo campaign. Die rolls handle diplomatic affairs, such as who is at peace or war. tensions can build between powers.

The tactical game is well suited to solo play, since one has only limited control of the armies on the table. Solo DBA is a bit harder.

Joe Mauloni
08-25-2003, 11:16 AM
I have found the restrictions of the PIP system to be adequate for tactical solo gaming, although the resources that you mentioned are excellent for a more "intelligent" control of the opposing side. The DBA campaign rules do not lend themselves to a good solo campaign. The circular format seems ideal for group play but becomes difficult to manage solo. Linear, or historical geographic seem to work better. I've tried a variety of random factors and pre-determined ally groupings and it still seems somewhat stilted to me. I have started using boardgames as a campaign structure, particularly SPI's "Fall of Rome".
One question, and this may be better served as a separate post, but; why are all the glitzy siege rules for BUA's in the tactical section whereas the campaign rules are a simple die roll?

gwrfelling
03-10-2005, 04:41 PM
At present, I am brainstorming a linked scenarios solo campaign to "re-fight" the campaigns of Zhuge Liang (styled Kongming) of Later Han/Three Kingdoms China. For simplicity and ease, the linked scenarios be linear and sequential. I'll be using a number of ideas from the Fanaticus Resources page to help with terrain placement and troop deployment. Beyond that, I'll just be out to give myself a hard time on the table! smile.gif