PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Maps

Chris Brantley
08-13-2003, 01:30 AM
How do you do your campaign maps? Do you just drawn them out on paper or do you do something more elaborate?

In my own experience, I've seen highly detailed maps mounted on foamcore so that you could use pushpins or thumbtacks to mark the position of armies and province ownership. I've also seen them marked out on a scrap sheet of cardboard with magic marker.

Do you use maps downloaded from the web or do you draw your own?

Darren Buxbaum
08-13-2003, 11:10 AM
My last campaign map was made on a large piece of foamcore (roughly 2'x2'). I scanned a map from a book and printed on overhead film. Then I used an overhead projector to enlarge the image onto the foamcore to be traced. After tracing, I labelled out the cities/territories and painted the reigons with watercolors to achieve a "map look". Then for army markers, I painted appropriate 25mm figures for each player. The effect was pretty cool. Next time I will do the same except for using foamcore, I will use posterboard instead so it can be laminated. This way the map will be more durable and it can be rolled up if I want to (although the surface or artwork hasn't been destroyed yet, but storing the map is a pain).

Cheers,
Darren

[ August 13, 2003, 08:14: Message edited by: Darren Buxbaum ]

hammurabi70
08-13-2003, 07:24 PM
Drawn in WORD altough I would be interested in a colour map back drop for the future. However, I think it is more important to show clearly the playing information than hide this on a realistic map.

AncientBrit
08-13-2003, 08:01 PM
I am currently running a Napoleonic campaign using the Spanish Peninsula from the Empires in Arms board, using the DBA-like rules La Grande Armee from Vae Victus. 4 Corps a side, each corps represented by a coloured dice on the map. Movement by PIP at corps level.
Simplified seige rules from the DBA campaign section.
We are having great fun - even though I'm losing!

regards

Ian

Tiberius
09-06-2003, 11:26 AM
I'm currently setting up a Mediterranean War campaign. There are only the two players, each with a number of empires at their disposal. The known world is divided into territories stretching from mainland Europe through Eurasia and Mauryan/Asokan India, with northern Africa and the Nile areas.

I downloaded a blank world map (having searched ask.com for 'free blank maps'), and have edited it in Paint. Actual map now is just under 6xA4 pages in size, which will be printed on card (or mounted on something durable) and used as the gaming board, as in Risk.

we are using all plastic figures (around 4-5000 in all...) and have a few armies each. The idea is that my Macedonian Successors will combat his Persian/Eastern Romans, my Carthaginians and Latins will combat his Central Romans, and my Spanish and Gauls will fight his Gauls and Northern Roman legion/s. This is of course all conjecture depending on the outcomes.

Rules? I've been looking into DBM for quite a while, but as we use 20mm plastics on a huge scale, they don't really suit. We use house rules which we are adapting for a campaign setting.

Basically the idea of a campaign has always been something we wanted to do, but never had the time! Now it's all go. It stems from the reasoning that why play a game completely unrelated to the next? Most battles are fought for a reason, one of many in which casualties and morale are of vital importance.

We are looking forward to this immensely - although the ropey historical setting (around350BC-500AD) doesn't matter so much as HAVING FUN!

imported_Aspirant
09-07-2003, 05:15 AM
Not sure if I am "out of step " with the following comment ( because it relates more to "electronic" maps) but I will offer it anyways. In addition to which although I havent tried it I imagine the map could be printed in sheets as hardcopy if necessary.

I am currently running two DBAOL campaigns using an electronic map system called cyberboard.

It allows for the use of a map which can be as detailed as a persons time permits them to put into the campaign. Army and unit markers, fleets, and a range of other markers can be created for use in the campaign. The map can be created or pasted as a bitmap from a file, and depends only upon the imagination and the ability of the campaign organiser to master the cyberboard system. Visually the map system looks pretty good, and it allows for some excellent campaigns to develop and be fought out online.

Regards

Campbell

Attila the Hungry
09-07-2003, 12:40 PM
I have seen Darren's maps at his site. They are great! We are doing a campaign based on real locations in the ancient middle east. We purchased a piece of brown vinyl from the fabric store (I asked Mrs. Attila to go in for me :rolleyes: ) and we used acrylic paint to make the map (ala RISK). We used one figure from each army (ESSEX sends all the options so it is not hard to come up with one extra 15mm) to represent the army. I enjoy hearing from others in this forum. Thank you.

orca
09-19-2003, 02:14 AM
One of the best things I ever bought long ago was a SPI game called 'The Conquerors'. It combined the ability to game both the alexandrian and republican roman expansions within one game system. The maps are terrific - and the background info in this game make it an invaluable asset for classical era campains. If you can grab a copy of this game, do so.

gwrfelling
03-09-2005, 05:53 PM
For a campaign presently on hold, I have created multi-layered and attractive maps in MS PowerPoint. The different layers offer various types of information for the participants: land-holdings, political details, economic info, terrain details, etc. In this way, I can have map templates that can be customized for each participant, depending upon what information/details he or she is privy to.

Macbeth
03-09-2005, 07:16 PM
My DBA Campaign Maps are done in MS Paint (originally in Paintbrush the earlier version). Some 15 years ago one of my freinds had a series of files called MacMaps for his Macintosh, these were a series of blank outline maps.

I had someone convert them to .pcx files and drew up some campaign maps by creating a city icon then pasting it in appropriate places. After that I would put in the movement lines, colour in the cities and name them. These maps approximate a standard DBA Campaign map but lose the 'Cyclic' appearance for a more geographic look.

I added one more map to my collection by scanning a map of the Mediterranean from the book 'Gallipoli - a Turkish Viewpoint'. Much of this collecition - especially the Mediterraean Map are now useless as my computers won't read .pcx or .pcc files. However I have some remnants in .bmp form.

My 1066 campaign was re-drawn to my specifications by a photoshop guru. He scanned in a map of Northern Europe from an Atlas, then picked out the extraneous material leaving a textured look colour map of Britain/Scandanavia/Northern France. He then put in the cities and connecting lines as another layer.

Usually I pin the maps to a corkboard and we push pins into the map for the games. However the 1066 game has been printed on A3 and laminated for us to use counters and figures instead.

Cheers

Timurilank
03-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Chris wrote: How do you do your campaign maps? Do you just drawn them out on paper or do you do something more elaborate?
I am currently working on a power struggle between Saffarids and Samanids. On the periphery are a host of turkish nomadic tribes, remains of an Abassid Caliphate, and Indian domains on the eastern front. I am using Adobe Photoshop to expand on maps I selected from the internet showing the area between the Caspian Sea and the Bay of Bengal. Major cities are labled and other than the water areas only the mountain ranges are depicted. All this is printed on 8 1/2 x 11 caligraphic paper to give it a parchment quality and placed in an acetate envelope or page protector. Cardboard counters depict the various movement pieces and have double sided tape to make them adhere to the map. Only the counters showing ownership are coloured as the map can be reused for other time periods.
cheers,

gwrfelling
03-10-2005, 01:07 PM
I suppose I should point out that the electronic file maps I create are shared via e-mail away from the wargaming gatherings in which we conduct the battles.
Originally posted by gwrfelling:
For a campaign presently on hold, I have created multi-layered and attractive maps in MS PowerPoint. The different layers offer various types of information for the participants: land-holdings, political details, economic info, terrain details, etc. In this way, I can have map templates that can be customized for each participant, depending upon what information/details he or she is privy to.

[ March 10, 2005, 14:32: Message edited by: gwrfelling ]