PDA

View Full Version : Anyone has tried Lancashire ancient and Medieval 15mm ranges

imported_Arrigo Velicogna
07-08-2003, 02:27 PM
I wonder if anyone has ever tried these range, I was looking for some addition to my hellenistic and medieval arsenal :rolleyes: ...

Arrigo Velicogna (Now Dr. Arrigo Velicogna)

derek
07-08-2003, 04:24 PM
Hullo
I have bought and either painted or had painted Lacashire Games 15mm Ancients including: Celts, Pre-Islamic Arabs and Early Germans (at least one pack of each of these ranges). The quality is not up to the same standard as the average 15mm manufacturer. In each case I received some broken figures - lances, javelins and standards tend to be especially brittle. While Lancashire Games has offered to replace broken figures I have not put in another order to date because of lack of funds.
On the plus side they are relatively cheap, especially if you buy in quantity. I have used mine mainly to add figure variety in irregular warband armies. They also tend to paint up better than they look, provided that they do not receive a heavy gloss varnish. Given the small number of manufacturer's who produce Dacians, I am considering this range for the (distant) future.
Kind Regards
Derek

[ July 08, 2003, 13:29: Message edited by: derek ]

George Gouveia
07-09-2003, 12:40 AM
I like Lancashire games, I find their mail order service to be excellent, Allan Lumley is a quality guy in my dealings with him. I have a 15mm Early German Army painted up as well as some samurai. I find their figs paint up really well, price is great and the quality is better then many, though not up to par with some of the newer manufacturers. I have some of their WOTR figure samples that Allan sent and they are better then many 15mm medievals.

07-09-2003, 12:20 PM
George,

thus you recommend lancashire Samurai, Germans and WOTR?

Dr. Arrigo Velicogna

George Gouveia
07-09-2003, 03:51 PM
They are pretty good, not the best but I find their figures to be a great value and the service through Allan is great. He responds very quickly to e-mail, send him a a note and say you heard their service was great and that you would like some samples.

Would you like me to take some digital pictures of my painted early germans, samurai, and the unpainted WOTR samples I just got?

Give me your e-mail and I will try and get some pics for you.

I'm at ggouveia@shaw.ca

derek
07-09-2003, 04:40 PM
Hullo
George, you paint much better than me! smile.gif
A very good painter can turn the worst miniatures into works of art! I agree with you entirely on the value for money aspect. I agree with you that Allan is a nice guy to deal with. Any manufacturer or retailer who offers to replace broken 15mm figures gets more business from me in future, if I am unable to use the broken figure for horde or similar, in which case I don't mind. I received pretty fast mail order service to South Africa (Irregular is about the fastest, followed by Museum and Gladiator mail order). So by and large I am in agreement with you on the quality of Lancashire Games 15mm figures. When funds permit I intend buying some Dacians. After your positive comments about the Medievals, I may look at these too.
Kind Regards
Derek

[ July 09, 2003, 13:45: Message edited by: derek ]

nick hux
07-09-2003, 07:09 PM
George,

Could you send any pictures to Chris Brantley so that he can add them to his figure reviews? I am new to buying figures and anything (especially pictures smile.gif ) that can help is most appreciated.

Nick

George Gouveia
07-10-2003, 03:52 AM
Ok I will post them but I must take better photos I did a rush job as I had the kids and had running around to do. I will e-mail you a few if you would like.

07-10-2003, 09:58 AM
Geroge very good painting and the figures look good. Now it's time to go on some real ordering (hoping my mother don't throw me out of the home after this... :D

Dr. Arrigo Velicogna (at least until the next week I will use the Dr.... smile.gif

imported_adsarf
07-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Arrigo Velicogna:
(at least until the next week I will use the Dr.... smile.gif Give yourself longer than that. It took me about a year to get over it, and I still have it on my chequebook and business cards. Unless you're a medical doctor, swank is all you're going to get from it, so you may as well milk it.

Andrew (PhD)

George Gouveia
07-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Two of my principals at work had the fancy title, Dr. Looks great on paper they always said or for use in formal settings. LOL

Congratulations to you on your soon to be designation, well done!!!!