PDA

View Full Version : April 12th version

lkmjbc
04-14-2012, 09:30 AM
In the Files section of the Yahoogroup.

Some changes...
Light Horse now can only make a second move.
Flank support for Bow and Spear only if no overlap on the enemy.
3Pk no longer QK by warband.
Spear, Blade, Pike now recoil vs Warband on a tie.

Further...
Phil is testing a much more radical version...
In this version 3Bd, 3Pk, 3Aux, and perhaps others are treated as fast.
Them move an extra BW. They recoil on ties vs elements with move figs.
This is a radical version that may not see light of day.

All for now.

Joe Collins

Pavane
04-14-2012, 10:27 AM

Some changes...
Light Horse now can only make a second move.
Flank support for Bow and Spear only if no overlap on the enemy.
3Pk no longer QK by warband.
Spear, Blade, Pike now recoil vs Warband on a tie.

Further...

All for now.

Joe Collins
It is nice to see Phil consider this. I think that recoiling on a tie is not enough of a penalty to balance +1 BW movement. I would always prefer the fast troops in this case. I'm also wondering what kind of super humans 3Ax are to be able to keep up with Cavalry. I'm sure it can be worked out will play testing.

He is also killing the Wb double move.

Ivan
04-14-2012, 03:35 PM
:huh?It is nice to see Phil consider this. I think that recoiling on a tie is not enough of a penalty to balance +1 BW movement. I would always prefer the fast troops in this case. I'm also wondering what kind of super humans 3Ax are to be able to keep up with Cavalry. I'm sure it can be worked out will play testing.

He is also killing the Wb double move.

RE: thje 3Ax movement: Phil is probably using the excuse that cavalry are trying to keep formation (since many think it is so hard for them to do so! :huh?) and the 3Ax move with such agility.:silly

Pavane
04-14-2012, 04:13 PM
:huh?

RE: thje 3Ax movement: Phil is probably using the excuse that cavalry are trying to keep formation (since many think it is so hard for them to do so! :huh?) and the 3Ax move with such agility.:silly
Phil will probably downgrade 4Ax to heavy infantry movement and 3Ax will move at the old rate. Of course if 1/2 BW was used for distances instead of full BW he would have more flexibility ;).

snowcat
04-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Phil will probably downgrade 4Ax to heavy infantry movement and 3Ax will move at the old rate.

Yes, this would be correct.

From Bob:

"Not all 3-xx got a +1 BW.

300 paces (3 BW) If Knights or Elephants and only in good going, or
if 3-prefix foot or Psiloi in any going.
200 paces (2 BW) If other foot and only in good going.

100 paces (1 BW) If other troops and the front edge of a single
element or group is in a non-paltry river or bad going for part of the move."

peleset
04-15-2012, 02:23 AM

Further...

Joe Collins

Coming to DBA from DBM the idea of the S, O, F, I gradings is not radical for me and, in DBM I think, provided useful and slight differences to better depict troops.

I always think of the Syracusan army list as a good example. In DBA it's just a lot of spear but for DBM it is broken up into Tyrants Bodyguard SP(S), Greek mercenary Hoplites Sp(O) and Italian and Syracusan Hoplites Sp(I).

I think gradings add a lot of texture, I just wonder if it is the direction DBA should be going.

Bob Santamaria
04-15-2012, 05:26 AM
I don't like the sound of it - if I wanted to play DBM I would have (over the last 20 years)

Bob Santamaria
04-15-2012, 05:35 AM
Just had a read of it - will have to playtest this week - I like the look of Cv recoiling on a draw against foot

Stephen Webb
04-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Just had a read of it - will have to playtest this week - I like the look of Cv recoiling on a draw against foot

Why bother if there already is another version?

Bob Santamaria
04-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Why bother if there already is another version?

Now Stephen, no-one likes a cynic. What do you want to play on Tuesday if you are free?

kontos
04-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Coming to DBA from DBM the idea of the S, O, F, I gradings is not radical for me and, in DBM I think, provided useful and slight differences to better depict troops.

I always think of the Syracusan army list as a good example. In DBA it's just a lot of spear but for DBM it is broken up into Tyrants Bodyguard SP(S), Greek mercenary Hoplites Sp(O) and Italian and Syracusan Hoplites Sp(I).

I think gradings add a lot of texture, I just wonder if it is the direction DBA should be going.

If that is the direction, it will truly be DBM Lite and that is not what I would like to see. But I am just 1 of many. ;)

lkmjbc
04-15-2012, 12:28 PM
I doubt that it will see light of day. Phil may include parts of the new version as optional rules ideas as in DBA 1.0.

BTW... it you want to use grading in dba... we have been using dice for that...
Inferior is a 12 sided marked.. 1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,5,6,6. Superior is marked 1,1,2,3,4,4,4,5,5,5,6,6.

It is fun to play with...

Joe Collins

Bobgnar
04-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by peleset

Originally Posted by kontos
If that is the direction, it will truly be DBM Lite and that is not what I would like to see. But I am just 1 of many. ;)

Most pure DBA players do not want this. I have taken to calling the new game DBAM -- DE BELLIS ANTIQUITATIS MAXIMUS -- Big DBA. Many of the play test group are against even using numbers of figures to indicate different types, let alone add Irregular or Regular or Gradings.