PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Maps

OzarkOrc
04-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Anyone ever use a more historical map?

There are plenty of Ancient/medival boardgames with area movement maps, just wondering if anyone has ever used one as the basis of a campaign.

dbawilliam
04-03-2012, 09:06 PM
My experience has been the two Davids do some really nice maps for their campaigns at conventions (check out their map for the Historicon campaign they have going right now). I think they do a good job. Perhaps they could enlighten you to their process.

Cromwell
04-04-2012, 02:35 AM
I am currently working on a ECW campaign using the map from the old (very old) Ariel game "The English Civil War". There are also some rules called "Waryick" which are set in the War of the Roses and use the old Kingmaker board.

I have used Norfolk England for a Viking/Middle Saxon campaign set in that part of the world. I have also used and I know Alan Lauder has used maps adapted from the ECW period for mini campaigns.

I have to admit I have never tried a campaign as set out in the vanilla 2.2 rules.

timurilank
04-04-2012, 02:49 AM
For all our Seven Year war conflicts, we do use historical maps, however, our campaign moves relect a shorter period of time and not a season.

geekmeter11
04-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Anyone ever do a far east campaign?

Redwilde
04-04-2012, 11:33 AM

I haven't. But if more folks at the club ever starts doing Asian armies, I've got triples of both Khmer and Cham, and a single Burmese army well in the works. The jumbo parade is nearly finished painting, and the rest of these armies are loin cloth types with pointy sticks, so they could be brought along reasonably quickly whenever I get back to them.

david kuijt
04-04-2012, 12:46 PM

More than that -- I made a 6' x 6' topographic map of China from Tibet to Korea, from Mongolia to Northern Vietnam, and we (DS and I) ran a Warring States campaign-theme on it, Historicon 2009. Some people took pictures of it -- Buehler?

Here's one from DS' picasa site:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZzwnoGzgBGY/Sv2dpToEehI/AAAAAAAABh0/HQv-ESPurKo/s576/P1010127.JPG

david kuijt
04-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Here's another image from the North (Mongolian) side of China:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NXR9V4JP5N4/Sv2d9Qng5OI/AAAAAAAABiw/AmWRK6J0vTw/s576/P1010141.JPG

Incidentally, transporting China was pretty damn awkward!

Tony Aguilar
04-04-2012, 01:04 PM

I ran the Chop Sui Campaign game- set at the fall of the Sui Dynasty (Two Davids' style) at Hurricon last year, but I didn't snap any pictures due to having an intense headache throughout the event.

Asian armies are popular in our Florida group. :D

Tony Aguilar
04-04-2012, 01:07 PM
More than that -- I made a 6' x 6' topographic map of China from Tibet to Korea, from Mongolia to Northern Vietnam, and we (DS and I) ran a Warring States campaign-theme on it, Historicon 2009. Some people took pictures of it -- Buehler?

Not exactly, but I did make sort of a music video of the events at Historicon 2009:

http://animoto.com/play/K63Gr1yzdg5jZCsTkQKxJA

Redwilde
04-04-2012, 01:13 PM
:eek I hadn't seen the pix of China before - wowsers!!!

------
edit

Arghh!! Bad brain bug, bad!!! 6'x6' is quite awkward for storage and transport, but maybe the Mediterranean in 2'ish x 6'ish.....

david kuijt
04-04-2012, 01:18 PM
:eek I hadn't seen the pix of China before - wowsers!!!

We've been discussing creating some add-on maps -- Korea/Japan as one, and Indo-China as another -- that would allow expansion to other areas influenced by China, for example when running a Divine Wind scenario (Kublai Khan and the Yuan Invasion of Japan) or the Mongol invasion of Burma.

If I do it right, of course, in the long run I end up with a complete topographic map of the world in my basement. Score!

Redwilde
04-04-2012, 01:24 PM
In fact, I was just immediately pondering that if I started with the Med on 1' x 1' tiles for the Punic Wars, this could be expanded northwards later for HYW, eastwards later for Armageddon.

Oh evil, evil brain bug!

ferrency
04-04-2012, 01:33 PM
In fact, I was just immediately pondering that if I started with the Med on 1' x 1' tiles for the Punic Wars, this could be expanded northwards later for HYW, eastwards later for Armageddon.

Yes, an important feature of all of the Davids' large campaign maps is that they don't have the areas drawn on the map. This makes them more useful for playing different periods in the same general location. A reference printed map is used to make sure everyone's territory marker goes back where it belongs.

David, are all your cloth maps the same scale, so they could be used together?

Alan

david kuijt
04-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Yes, an important feature of all of the Davids' large campaign maps is that they don't have the areas drawn on the map. This makes them more useful for playing different periods in the same general location. A reference printed map is used to make sure everyone's territory marker goes back where it belongs.

David, are all your cloth maps the same scale, so they could be used together?

Hell no. One of the campaign themes was the (3rd?) Peloponnesian War, where the sphere of operations is the Aegean. That's the smallest, I think. Then we had Collapse of 1200 BC, where the Aegean is about 1/20 of the battlefield; that and the Mongol Terror and the Falls a Titan (Hun/Fall of Rome) all are about the same scale.

Scale choice is about fitting the map to the table, so the sphere of operations of the campaign is clear to 20-24 players standing around the table. Most maps are between 5x8 and 5x5 to make it as clear to the third ring of players as it can be.

david kuijt
04-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes, an important feature of all of the Davids' large campaign maps is that they don't have the areas drawn on the map. This makes them more useful for playing different periods in the same general location.

Exactly. The Eastern Mediterranean map has been used for the "Collapse of 1200 BC" (Sea Peeps, Hittites, NKE, et al.), for the Crusades (Byzantines, Seljuks, Crusaders, Fatamids, etc.), and for "To the Strongest" (Diadachoii -- successors of Alexander). It would also work well for Arab Conquest (Sassanids, Byzantines, Arabs oh my) and for Tamerlane/Mamluk/Ottoman period around 1400 AD.

Redwilde
04-04-2012, 01:54 PM
The no boundary lines is a good point. I'll have to go smaller than the 5' x X' size for storage considerations....

I already have an 8'ish x 8'ish topographical model of the Hub of the Universe in 6 transport crates in my basement. The whole Rte 128 loop around Boston.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1374/ab0ebosszdxw0.jpg

winterbadger
04-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Anyone ever use a more historical map?

There are plenty of Ancient/medival boardgames with area movement maps, just wondering if anyone has ever used one as the basis of a campaign.

I've not done anything as nice as the Two Davids campaigns, but I have created some maps similar to the standard generic campaign map that rejiggered things to account for historic geography, if necessary inventing a few extra rules for terrain &.c

One example can be found with out old 11th century Britain campaign (http://england1002.blogspot.com/).

david kuijt
04-04-2012, 05:09 PM
The no boundary lines is a good point. I'll have to go smaller than the 5' x X' size for storage considerations....

5 x X is the rule because canvas (or cotton duckcloth, which is almost the same thing) comes in 60" bolts, so one dimension can't be more than 5'.

For example; here is the Condotta Chaos map (5x8) on the stretcher in my garage, being constructed before Cold Wars:

http://wargame.pairsite.com/download/file.php?id=27

When making the maps of cloth, I can just roll them up on a section of PVC pipe, and they don't take much room at all. Although they do make my basement look slightly like the Library of Alexandria (lots of rolled up scrolls) and show how difficult it is to use a whole bunch of rolled objects when you don't have a good indexing system.

Cromwell
04-04-2012, 05:18 PM
I can't get this image of you staggering about with China in your arms or stuffed in the boot of your car! :eek

david kuijt
04-04-2012, 05:21 PM
I can't get this image of you staggering about with China in your arms or stuffed in the boot of your car! :eek

China is made of layers of 2" thick pink sheet insulation, which meant it weighed nothing and caught the wind something awful. I was worried about flying away, desperately clinging to China as it acted like a huge green-and-brown topographically correct airfoil.

Gregorius
04-04-2012, 07:48 PM

Here's one from DS' picasa site:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZzwnoGzgBGY/Sv2dpToEehI/AAAAAAAABh0/HQv-ESPurKo/s576/P1010127.JPG

This is even more impressive in the flesh. I had the priveledge to take part in this extravaganza and had a great time. Mark and I were so impressed with the campaign system we sought and got the 2 David's permission to bring it back to Australia. Since then Stephen Webb has run a Pelop (2010) and 1067 (2011) campaign at MOAB. I did the maps for both campaigns and used an artists canvas measuring roughly 60cm x 90cm. This size is a good compromise between being able to be viewed and portability. Also the proportions roughly match A4 paper size, so I am able to upscale from a photocopied map. This year's campaign is in the Far East centred on 1279.

Cheers,

dbawilliam
04-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Here's another image from the North (Mongolian) side of China:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NXR9V4JP5N4/Sv2d9Qng5OI/AAAAAAAABiw/AmWRK6J0vTw/s576/P1010141.JPG

Incidentally, transporting China was pretty damn awkward!

Getting it over the polar ice cap must have been a bear...:rotfl

david kuijt
04-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Getting it over the polar ice cap must have been a bear...:rotfl

That's Tibet, Will. Geeze....

dbawilliam
04-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Transporting China...sounds like something my wife would ask me to do..."Honey, when you have a moment could you move the house slightly to the left?" :D