PDA

View Full Version : Status

Ammianus
03-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Does anyone have a sense of how 3.0's doing? IN the midst of tests, ready to go to print, irrevocably mired? Just curious.

david kuijt
03-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Does anyone have a sense of how 3.0's doing? IN the midst of tests, ready to go to print, irrevocably mired? Just curious.

Last I heard Phil still had a lot of work to do in the Army Lists -- he hadn't started book IV yet. When last the Army Lists were revised, in 1999, there was a three or four month process of editing that took place AFTER the full lists had been created. If that model is correct, 3.0 won't be ready to go to print until four months after Phil finishes the Army Lists, which is (at a guess) about three months away. So that would mean go to print in November or so.

Some very recent additions like Side Support haven't been tested yet by more than a couple of people, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. There has been no particular signs of slowing of the pace of changes, which would normally be a symptom of coming to the end of a revision, but again -- that doesn't necessarily mean anything, as Phil is known for introducing major things at the last minute (like BUAs to 2.0).

So if it was a project under my management (which it most certainly is not) I would say that there is a bunch of work yet, and stuff that needs to be tested. But Phil's process is opaque even to the cognoscenti (those in the know), so your guess is as good as mine.

Ammianus
03-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks David,
I find it hard to follow the Yahoo discussions & was just wondering.
Doesn't look like my cup of tea for the moment. Cheers, A

snowcat
03-16-2012, 09:40 PM
In the midst of tests.

Ammianus
03-17-2012, 06:09 AM
well, better tests than testy. I see they've moved on to the hybrid basing concept.

snowcat
03-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Actually there's been precious little talk there for the last few days.

DaveB
03-17-2012, 09:06 AM
I have also noticed that I have fewer emails from the DBA list in my inbox to trash of late. SO I was wonderng what was happening or not happening.

snowcat
03-17-2012, 09:20 AM
I honestly think a lot of the debate has run out of steam, at least until the next serious iteration.

The hybrid basing does look nice, and appears increasingly suited to 3.0 now that rear ranks have all but been done away with (with few exceptions). All those single ranks might need the double-element style basing to look right.

I suggested some mods to the basic x2 basing idea here:
http://fanaticus.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=12801&page=2

lkmjbc
03-17-2012, 02:06 PM
I think most of the short term issues have been identified . Folks are play testing the fixes. Flank support, 3 Pikes, and Bd killing Knts on ties are all very new and different concepts. That is quite much.

Army lists have been edited through book 3... the evidence being changes made to the Saxon list (inclusion of some Bd early). Phil has hinted that he may expand the army descriptions. Whether this change is part of the finished editing is unknown.

So, depending on Phil's interest level... DK could be correct. We could be looking at next fall. Phil could also pull the plug at any time, publish and move on to other projects.

I am unsure as whether to push for any more changes at this time. We still have the oddness of DBE Bows skulking in the woods.... and some issues with artillery... but these are minor compared to the others that have been addressed.

Joe Collins

Ammianus
03-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks lkmjbc -
hmm, guess I'll change my Saxons around a bit (luckily just bought some command stands).

Thomas J. Thomas
03-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Steady progress esp re clarity.

Flank support getting a full test (often in my basement).

Mounted Foot may have been solved.

Phil distracted by Army Lists - which look to be quite good....

Better to test too much than publish too soon...

Easy for me to say of course as I get to play 3.0 every week....

TomT

john meunier
03-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Steady progress esp re clarity.

Flank support getting a full test (often in my basement).

Mounted Foot may have been solved.

Phil distracted by Army Lists - which look to be quite good....

Better to test too much than publish too soon...

Easy for me to say of course as I get to play 3.0 every week....

TomT

We'd love to get some of your perspective on the issues and/or reports of games.

lkmjbc
03-23-2012, 04:08 AM
Tom:

Any chance of getting Phil to keep Sp flank support as is... and changing Wb?

I'm getting good results in my Saxon vs Viking fights with flank support.

I know it causes issues for Wb vs Sp. (Warband is poor enough already...they don't need more grief)

Perhaps... Flank support as the March 3rd version and...

Say...

Wb Qk Sp on ties?

Just a thought.

Joe Collins

OzarkOrc
04-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Not really, starting to dread it;

Why tweak the army lists to the extend they seem to have been in the draft from last year? More Early German 3Cv? (II/47?)

Just doesn't seem right,

Phil also seems to have converted many of the 2Ps armies to 3Ax.

peleset
04-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Pointless worrying about anything going on over there. Best just to ignore it and let God and his little sunbeams get on with their alchemy. At some point something will be published and it may very well look nothing like what appears there at this moment.

Ammianus
05-12-2012, 08:19 PM
The Miniature Page has a new 3.0? thread with some interesting comments.
I wonder where it'll all end?

david kuijt
05-13-2012, 01:42 AM
The Miniature Page has a new 3.0? thread with some interesting comments.

It's the same people, saying the same things. Nothing new there.

Ammianus
05-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks DK, too bad...well at least they're staying busy.

Kingo
05-13-2012, 05:31 PM
The Yahoo group site has taken over from "Water boarding" as the preffered method of torture :eek

lkmjbc
05-13-2012, 07:41 PM
It's the same people, saying the same things. Nothing new there.

Yep.. kinda boring actually- and I'm one of them people. Though it is about time for a new play test version. Phil is releasing one about once a month. The last was April 12th.

It will be interesting to see what route Phil goes down.

Joe Collins

peleset
05-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Tortuous paths and rabbit holes. Wonder where it will all end up.

http://farisyakob.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341ca6f253ef010535fec21b970b-800wi

Captain Rabbit
05-14-2012, 04:53 AM
The latest version I think is pretty good, for me there are some issues still but I'm sure that's the same for everyone.
I don't think I have ever met a single wargamer who couldn't have a complaint about a section or conclusion in a rule book, ever! :rotfl

David Constable
05-15-2012, 05:42 AM
The latest version I think is pretty good, for me there are some issues still but I'm sure that's the same for everyone.
I don't think I have ever met a single wargamer who couldn't have a complaint about a section or conclusion in a rule book, ever! :rotfl

Would agree with that, started in 1964.

However I would point out that often with PB new is not always better, he thinks so, players do not always agree.

David Constable

Captain Rabbit
05-15-2012, 06:26 AM
Sorry, not sure of the point of your post?

Bobgnar
05-15-2012, 11:48 AM
I think he means that Phil puts in rules that he thinks are excellent such as the buildup area rule. However many players do not like the built-up area. In fact so many that he change the build the area requirement to include an optional road.

in the new rules he says a player must use the same die for the whole game. He thinks this is somehow important. Most players will use whatever die they want and change as often as they want.

however on the whole, that is to say 95% of what Phil comes up with is outstanding. He is written some of the best rules in the history of the hobby. Others have tried to stand on his shoulders and make other rules. But in the end it's his ideas and other people's marginal editing. If were not for Phil we wouldn't have this site. We would not of have had thousands and thousands of enjoyable games over the last 20 some years. Thousands of players would not have had so much fun. Yes most of his work is excellent. most of his new is truly better.

neldoreth
05-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Bob, I think someone must have stolen your account and is using it to promote Phil ;) It's the grammar, I find it oddly poor compared to your usual standard!

I'm looking forward to reading the new rules, even though I don't agree with all of your sentiments Bob. I can say though that DBA is great, and I'm grateful for it.

n.

peleset
05-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Greatness is a finite resource. It is built up during the height of ones powers and then drawn on during ones declining years unto exaustion.

Reminds me. Napoleon, Revolution to Empire is opening at the National Gallery of Victoria next month.
http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/napoleon
:)

snowcat
05-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Greatness is a finite resource. It is built up during the height of ones powers and then drawn on during ones declining years unto exaustion.

Reminds me. Napoleon, Revolution to Empire is opening at the National Gallery of Victoria next month.
http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/napoleon
:)

Excellent quote that (re greatness).

I'll definitely be spending a few hours at the gallery for that exhibition. :up

Kingo
05-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Excellent quote that (re greatness).

I'll definitely be spending a few hours at the gallery for that exhibition. :up

Perhaps we can all meet there?

Kingo

snowcat
05-16-2012, 02:51 AM
Possibly. My wife's taking me to it as a special Birthday treat some time in June (if all goes to plan), so that may not be ideal for a meet-up. However, I may go more than once, so you never know. :)

peleset
05-17-2012, 09:38 PM
@ Snowcat- Thanks, it's from the book of Mark. Quite a small book at the moment but, I'm sure, will be quite a weighty tome by the end.:)

The Wonders of Ancient Mesopotamia is also on at the Melbourne Museum until October. Lots of marvelous things I've only ever seen in books/the net. I'll be endeavoring to see this soon.

http://museumvictoria.com.au/melbournemuseum/discoverycentre/mesopotamia/exhibition-videos/televison-commerial/
http://museumvictoria.com.au/custom/dialogs/thumbnail.jpg?&i=/pages/34975/web2349834347_cd6c5e16fd_o.jpg&resizewidth=true&w=475&h=368

Kingo
05-18-2012, 03:56 PM
The Wonders of Ancient Mesopotamia is also on at the Melbourne Museum until October. Lots of marvelous things I've only ever seen in books/the net. I'll be endeavoring to see this soon.

Give us a shout when your going :up

Kingo

OzarkOrc
05-19-2012, 07:55 PM
He needs to take it "On the Road"; Established players all make assumptions about how the game is supposed to be played; What will gamers who have never seen the system before do with it?

peleset
05-19-2012, 09:41 PM

Give us a shout when your going :up

Kingo

Will do.
When I do it will be a weekday. Either Monday, Wednesday or Friday mid-morning.

Kingo
05-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Will do.
When I do it will be a weekday. Either Monday, Wednesday or Friday mid-morning.

Any friday morning would suit me. :D

Kingo