PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Question: Reserves

dervel
03-01-2012, 09:45 AM
So when doing a Campaign should players have a fixed version of their army list or should they be able to pull optional elements from the reserves during the resupply phase?

i.e. so they start with a set group of 12 elements. They take loses and then during resupply they recruit available elements from their reserve. Should their reserve include all the options available to them. Should they be able to swap a destroyed Wb for a Ps if their lists allows this option?

Of course they are stuck with the units they choose and can only replace units lost in combat, but just wondering if anyone else has tried this option?

For a HOTT campaign, it specifies points... I am thinking that reserves should be somewhat based on the terrain type controlled? Your army might have water lurkers available... You need a terrain with some swamp or a river.

winterbadger
03-01-2012, 01:22 PM
I think in the campaigns I've run players have generally stuck to one list for the campaign, but I see no reason that it should *have* to be that way. I think it would be reasonable, most of the time, to give them the option of using replacements to bring in an element that is an alternate to one that's been lost. In some cases, even within a sublist, alternates represent different time periods, different subgroups of a people, or different interpretations of what a troop type represented, so one might restrict the options in some cases, but as a general thing I would think it was OK.

Rich Gause
03-01-2012, 02:18 PM
I was looking at a dark ages Britain campaign and planned on allowing each player to have a starting army big enough to include all options and also give each player the same number of elements I think it was like 15 per army. I planned on allowing the players to select 12 per battle. I figured that way people might be a little less cautious since losing an element would not immediately put them at a numerical disadvantage.