PDA

View Full Version : Vikings invade Normandy

jacar
02-04-2012, 11:19 PM
My report on the Viking v Norman fight. It was not pretty.

http://johnswargames.wordpress.com/2012/02/04/vikings-invade-normandy/

John

snowcat
02-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Like I said.

:)

Cheers
Paul

jacar
02-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Like I said.

:)

Cheers
Paul
Hehe!

:2up

Dangun
02-05-2012, 02:52 AM
(Nice diagrams by the way.)

I think you imply it yourself, but the Vikings probably shouldn't have moved so far forward in the first bound, because it enabled the knights to make contact before the blade line was fully extended.

While its difficult to manage because the knight are faster, if you have to go blade on knight, the blade want to hit the knight and not the other way around.

Not sure it would have mattered much.

Matt
02-05-2012, 04:50 AM
My report on the Viking v Norman fight. It was not pretty.

http://johnswargames.wordpress.com/2012/02/04/vikings-invade-normandy/

John

Nice report. I haven't been following the Kn vs. Bd/Sp/Pk discussion too closely because it is not my preferred era, but it would seem that the same issues that exist in the Wb vs. Sp match-up exist here.

I like the flanks being reserved for mounted troops. Historically, this would have been a serious concern for an all foot army. While artificial in that it prevents foot from deploying into the flank areas, it does effectively create the tactical environment that would have been a problem for the foot commander.

Matt

Victor
02-05-2012, 06:29 AM
Nice report. I haven't been following the Kn vs. Bd/Sp/Pk discussion too closely because it is not my preferred era, but it would seem that the same issues that exist in the Wb vs. Sp match-up exist here.

Matt

Bear in mind that the knights winning here would have happened the same way under 2.2 as the viking army used in this battle didn't have psiloi.

In the last DBA 2.2 competition I attended, I had an Eastern Frank army (12kn) win the defender roll against a viking type army, the game lasted only a few bounds, as the blade were defending on a bowling green.

snowcat
02-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Yup, fair call.

Rich Gause
02-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Bear in mind that the knights winning here would have happened the same way under 2.2 as the viking army used in this battle didn't have psiloi.

In the last DBA 2.2 competition I attended, I had an Eastern Frank army (12kn) win the defender roll against a viking type army, the game lasted only a few bounds, as the blade were defending on a bowling green.

I wonder if the decision to take a Bw instead of a Ps was influenced by the new 3.0 rule?

jacar
02-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Yup! In a pickup game at the local shop I played my Western Franks against my opponents later Vikings. He threw down a waterway (I was attacker) and tried a landing with 2 of his troops. It was into difficult terrain and much of my Kn were in it. I managed to get my Bw and Sp into position and defeated his landing force. Then I finally extracted myself from the difficult ground and charged his shieldwall. He was backed with a Ps. I was able to charge and charge again until I finally won. I had the advantage of a longer line and more units at this point as well as the QK.