PDA

View Full Version : 3 Medieval Battles with 3.0

khr
02-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Yesterday Rob and I had our first games using DBA 3.0 (Version 27th January 2012), and no, the sky did not fall, in fact, we were quite happy with the games, though there were a few items we thought worth discussing.

We played with Medieval German armies IV/13 1106-1235 according to the old army lists. I had: Kn Gen, 4 Kn, 4 Sp, 1 Cb, 2 Ps. Rob's army differed only in having 2Sp + 2 Pk.

We comfortably managed 3 games in an evening. Our impression was that the games were somewhat faster than under 2.2

The two major topics ripe for discussion - in our opinion are "Moving into contact" and the rules for Bows, but I will post about those separately. "Moving into contact" works, but we think the rules need better explanations and/or diagrams to be sure we play them as intended. Bows have seen a number of significant changes - we are OK with them - but I haven't seen discussed much and think they merit attention.

Other items:
p.6Placing of roads has an oddity: specifying it must start in one quarter and that they may not pass through 4 quarters has the (unintended?) consequence that it is not possible to place a road on the centre line or directly through the middle of the table, as it would be in 4 quarters. Shifting it right or left an Inch would make it legal. Not a problem, but odd.

p.8 Deployment. We played with 15mm figures on a 60 cm table. We found the narrow deployment area for heavy troops quite cramped, with some bad going, camps etc. you usually have to deploy them 2 lines deep. Needs getting used to, or mabe we will switch to the larger boards allowed.
Deployment distance 3 BW from center line is OK.

p.8. 0 PIP road move. It can only be used if the element/group moves "the full distance possible". We had a case where a Kn was on a road and a friendly unit was 2 BW away blocking the road. Could the Kn be moved up to the friendly unit - no longer road move was possible - or would it have to be able to do a full 3 BW move to benefit from the 0 PIP move?

p.9. Interpenetrating friendly troops. Most of the allwoed penetrations are plausible. But we wondered that Pikes are allowed to recoil through Blades (but not vice versa, only Bd through spears). What is the historical example for pikes recoiling through Blades?

p.9./.p.10 Movement and shooting ranges are longer (in actual centimeters) than before, but one gets quickly used to that.

p.11. Supporting elements are no longer killed if the front element is killed in close combat. Not a problem, but worth remarking.

p.12. We liked that loss of a general no longer automatically ends the game. 2 of our games went on after Rob lost hins general, one of them for a considerable number of bounds.

Psiloi no longer give rear support, but gain in abilities in difficult terrain. Fine with us.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

john meunier
02-01-2012, 03:51 PM
I'd love to read some of your thoughts on the new bow rules and how they played in your battles.

Martin Smith
02-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Other items:
p.6Placing of roads has an oddity: specifying it must start in one quarter and that they may not pass through 4 quarters has the (unintended?) consequence that it is not possible to place a road on the centre line or directly through the middle of the table, as it would be in 4 quarters. Shifting it right or left an Inch would make it legal. Not a problem, but odd.

Karl Heinz

Karl Heinz, I don't think this road placement is much different to the 2.2 version, which stated that linear features could pass through only two quarters. This prevented them from being placed on a diagonal or through the centreline.
Martin

Martyn
02-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Other items:

p.8 Deployment. We played with 15mm figures on a 60 cm table. We found the narrow deployment area for heavy troops quite cramped, with some bad going, camps etc. you usually have to deploy them 2 lines deep. Needs getting used to, or mabe we will switch to the larger boards allowed.
Deployment distance 3 BW from center line is OK.

This certainly makes life difficult for Inf heavy armies.

p.8. 0 PIP road move. It can only be used if the element/group moves "the full distance possible". We had a case where a Kn was on a road and a friendly unit was 2 BW away blocking the road. Could the Kn be moved up to the friendly unit - no longer road move was possible - or would it have to be able to do a full 3 BW move to benefit from the 0 PIP move?

Another query for Phil, what does ‘full distance possible’ actually mean.

p.9./.p.10 Movement and shooting ranges are longer (in actual centimeters) than before, but one gets quickly used to that.

Generally they are the same relative to each other, however, Art range has been reduced to 400 paces.

Interesting comments, don’t forget to email Phil.

khr
02-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Karl Heinz, I don't think this road placement is much different to the 2.2 version, which stated that linear features could pass through only two quarters.

Indeed, you are right. Still, it is an odd effect, whether in the old or new version.

Greetings
Karl Heinz