PDA

View Full Version : BBDBA and move rates

SteveW
01-21-2012, 05:34 AM
Hello,

I played a BBDBA game last week on 2 30" square boards.

As the defender I deployed first. I placed my camp centrally on my base line, my opponent on his left flank (which I took as an indication that he would be deploying in the left and central areas of the board).

I deployed my left wing (two thirds Cv, one third Bd to the left of the centre line, with the other two commands right of that to within about 8BW of the righthand edge of the board. I deployed on the forward edge of the deployment area.

To my dismay, the attacker deployed all his troops forward also, but all on the left flank. I was pretty sure that my right and centre were going to be overwhelmed one after the other.

However, the 3.0 movement distances caught us both out. We both thought that my left wing would not be able to join the battle in time, but they managed it and won the day.

I think that it might take a number of games to get used to how fast troops can cover ground in 3.0. Our past experiences may mislead us and make us misjudge situations.

JamesLDIII
01-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Somewhere in the distant fanaticus past I noted the increased effectiveness of pike blocks in BBDBA vs regular DBA by suggesting players try a test combat of pikes vs blades, with progressively more pike and blade added (4, 6, 8, 10). I'm not sure where that post is, but the gist was that as you increased the number of elements, you reached a point where the pikes became more effective than the blades because the blades couldn't outflank the pikes rapidly enough to overcome the pike superiority in the center.
With increased speed of heavy infantry, it will be easier for the flanking maneuvers you described to happen. I personally disagree with the increased speed and feel it has rather more important effects on gameplay (besides quicker contact and overall game time) than many people realize.

peleset
01-22-2012, 01:42 AM
I just don't see the need to speed up an already quick game.