PDA

View Full Version : Probably a stupid question

Cromwell
01-18-2012, 06:09 PM
I have 14 armies for DBA 2.2 I have collected. I understand that some of the arnies on thec 3.0 list are different.

I don't enter into competions as a) there are none near where I live b) I really wouldn't have the time given my other interests and c) I don't have a competetive bone in my body!

Therefore if I play DBA 3 using exisiting 2.2 armies either solo or with friends is anything going to become distorted as far as the outcome of the rules is concerned ?

larryessick
01-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Probably not.

Alan Lauder
01-18-2012, 06:18 PM
I have 14 armies for DBA 2.2 I have collected. I understand that some of the arnies on thec 3.0 list are different.

I don't enter into competions as a) there are none near where I live b) I really wouldn't have the time given my other interests and c) I don't have a competetive bone in my body!

Therefore if I play DBA 3 using exisiting 2.2 armies either solo or with friends is anything going to become distorted as far as the outcome of the rules is concerned ?

But are not the 'stupid questions' the ones that many are silently awaiting an answer for?! The same question (my circumstances being similar) dawned on me yesterday - I'm inclined to agree with Larry, its probably not going to make a huge difference.

Macbeth
01-18-2012, 07:01 PM
It is perfectly fine to use "old school" armies under the new rules

When I became swept up in the fervour of DBA I most enjoyed running campaigns and promptly set up some campaign sets of 8-10 armies.

Come v2.0 many of my armies for the 1066 Britain game and the 1400 Eastern Mediterranaean game were out of step with the new lists.

I continued to use these - finally biting the bullet only recently to rebase these armies very recenlty about 18 months ago. The PVA glue on my re-done Vikings (from primarily Wb to all Bd), Scots Isles (balanced all option foot to mostly Bd), Welsh (Ax and Lb to mostly Wb) and Anglo Danes (lose the Cv) was barely dry before the announcement of DBA3 and then new lists

So it goes.

Cheers

hammurabi70
01-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Where are the new lists posted?

larryessick
01-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Where are the new lists posted?

The Yahoo site has some preliminary lists but these are not yet set in stone. I have the impression that the lists will be imbedded in the rules when published. I think the advice of most is not to take any action towards acquiring figures or rebasing until then.

Bobgnar
01-19-2012, 01:33 AM
I fully intend to continue to use my 100 some 2.0 armies for 3.0. That number includes multiples of the same list for Big Battle and giant games, not unique armies. Anyway, the lists are close. What is nice is that the new lists have many more options than the 2.0 ones. Usually if there were a change to the list, the original stays as an option. The Classical Indian list got a Ps changed to a Horde. I have 5 armies in both 25mm and 15mm. I complained that what seems like little changes may cause a big hardship. So he made the item a 1 x Hd or Ps. I see this in other lists too.

The Picts were subject to discussion. He changed the 3 Spears to Aux. No big deal, the elements can be used for either. I like the Ax, others like Spears. Use either. The new rules do not favor one type or the other.

I see moving to 3 lists as by evolution. As I get new armies, I will use 3 specs. If I am doing a battle and the new list looks more like the historical referent army, the I will modify as best I can with figs from spares box, or from another army.

Enjoy the game as you see fit.