PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at DBA3

Bob Santamaria
01-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Last night I finally got the opportunity to have my first two playtests of the draft DBA rules.

Two games against Ian N, Later Hoplite Greek Thessalian against Theban, using the DBA 2.2 lists, so none of this 8Sp crap.

These are armies I know well, and a match up I have played quite a lot over the last year or so.

The world did not end and the sky did not fall in.

The games were each very similar to our normal DBA 2.2 matchups. They did not finish terribly quickly, they were enjoyable, and they were still very much DBA.

A few observations:

1. I am not sure that increasing movement rates and shrinking the DZ is a great thing. I will get used to the higher movement rates, but feel that the DZ should be at least 1.5 BWs and preferably 2. I liked the link between the heavy foot move and the DZ.

2. I really don't want 8Sp.

3. The fact that spear don't provide rear rank support to each other any more changes the dynamic of this sort of matchup. The phalanxes will tend to be spread to their maximum width far more frequently, terrain permitting. Our games did not involve a lot of engagement of the phalanxes, but rather were determined by the flank conflicts and attacks on camps.

4. In my next game I will try to see how shooting goes.

5. The random element in the terrain I like, and the terrain system generally seems to be pretty low sweat.

6. Giving the defender the first turn more than makes up for removing the deployment element swaps.

7. We did not use a BUA, but I really want these rules to go.

Adrian

Little Caesar
01-05-2012, 08:06 PM
The games were each very similar to our normal DBA 2.2 matchups. They did not finish terribly quickly, they were enjoyable, and they were still very much DBA.

Are you trying to start a fight? :silly

Bob Santamaria
01-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Are you trying to start a fight? :silly

You don't need to try to start a fight on here to start one.

Further, I won both games, once as the Thebans and once as the Thessalians.

Adrian

The Hill Crusher
01-08-2012, 07:42 PM

I played my first 3 games against Steve W on friday night. I actually agree with you in principle. It played liked all my other DBA games, but some tactics need to change. Need to figure out how to suck in the new impetus blade elements.

Miss the ability to do psiloi charges in the first move with them limited to only a second move.

Do like the new terrain setup.

Bobgnar
01-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Last night I finally got the opportunity to have my first two playtests of the draft DBA rules.
snip

2. I really don't want 8Sp.

Adrian

Not a problem is it, as they are optional.