PDA

View Full Version : SoA and DBA3

David Constable
12-04-2011, 04:00 PM
As the new version of DBA is due out soonish I have a query on the SoA Competition.

What happens if in the early stages of the new rules a competition organizer runs both 2.2 and the new version.
They have eight for the new DBA and ten for 2.2, does it still count as a Premier competition, with points being issued for both competitions? or what?

David Constable

Paulisper
12-04-2011, 05:55 PM
As the new version of DBA is due out soonish I have a query on the SoA Competition.

What happens if in the early stages of the new rules a competition organizer runs both 2.2 and the new version.
They have eight for the new DBA and ten for 2.2, does it still count as a Premier competition, with points being issued for both competitions? or what?

David Constable

Surely it makes sense to run each event, at the very least, under one ruleset?

From my perspective, I would like the Northern Cup to be following the same ruleset as the previous comps run in the same calendar year. If version 3 comes in half way through the season, and we'd already started with 2.2, then I'd presume it logical to continue for the rest of the season with this ruleset and start afresh with 3.0 in 2013....?

David Constable
12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
I am looking at it from the point that competition organizers for at least the first half of 2012 will stick with 2.2, but what after that, and what if people are mixed over their choices, say 50:50.
It is how the SoA would treat it that is of interest.
I hope at least for 2012 competition organizers will keep an open mind which version, hopefully from 2013 it will become clearer.

The number at DBA competitions in the U.K. is small enough as it is, we cannot afford to reduce it.

David Constable

Menacus Secundus
12-05-2011, 05:12 AM
.......The number at DBA competitions in the U.K. is small enough as it is, we cannot afford to reduce it.

David Constable

There are around a dozen competitions in the 2012/2013 calendar and only the best 5 scores count for an individual's league placing. The first competition of the current season has already taken place, the second is happening this week-end and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the tally is up to 5 or 6 by the time, v3.0 is available for use.

Thereafter, I would have thought that competition organisers would want to opt for one or other version. If they are courageous* enough to allow both, then in my view these would have to count as two separate competitions, which would actually mean more competitions rather than fewer, but with fewer points at stake as they would be smaller competitions.

Denis

* As in "That would be a courageous decision, Minister."

David Constable
12-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Hello Denis

It is the status change and with it the points that causes the problem, the further North you go (and the North begins at Watford for DBA) the less competitions.

Would it be brave to choose DBA3 for the Midland Open in early May, or a disaster, will people have enough time to make up their minds?

If status changes then sticking with DBA2.2 is probably the best bet, at least early in the year.

But in effect it concerns all organizers of "Premier" competitions after the new rules come out, and it would help to know how the SoA is going to treat it for 2012.

David Constable

Menacus Secundus
12-05-2011, 06:18 AM
.....Would it be brave to choose DBA3 for the Midland Open in early May, or a disaster, will people have enough time to make up their minds?......

David

It depends on two things. First, the date on which v3.0 actually appears. Speaking for myself, I think I'd want a couple of months to adjust before playing in a comp. Others might need less time than that, but you need a cetrain interval, so unless v3.0 is available by, say, the end of March, it might be too soon to use it at next year's Midland Open.

The second variable is how people react to the new rules. We can't predict this, but I think it is more likely that you would get people saying "I'm not going if it is v3.0" than saying "I'm not going unless it is v3.0". So the cautious option would indicate sticking to 2.2.

Of course, if v3.0 appears in February to universal acclaim that it is a major advance on 2.2, it would be silly to insist on using 2.2 in May. But if that happens, you don't really need to ask which version to use.

Denis

David Constable
12-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Hello Denis

As you appreciate there are a lot of variables.
The date of rule release being a probable problem for the Midland Open.
So if the SoA reaction to the new version is sorted out, it is just one less.

It is something we need to discuss within the club when it comes out, and probably very urgently.

It might well be a case of forgetting the SoA competition, and providing players what they would like, probably both DBA2.2 and DBA3.

David Constable

David Constable
12-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Hello Denis

As you appreciate there are a lot of variables.
The date of rule release being a probable problem for the Midland Open.
So if the SoA reaction to the new version is sorted out, it is just one less.

It is something we need to discuss within the club when it comes out, and probably very urgently.

It might well be a case of forgetting the SoA competition, and providing players what they would like, probably both DBA2.2 and DBA3.

David Constable