BC...

Phil

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 11:57 AM
To: DBMMlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DBMMlist] Re: Brian Boru 2011

--- In DBMMlist@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Barker" <pc.barker@...> wrote:
DBMM is the only set as yet
> published by new WRG, with DBA 3.0 and HFG following shortly.
>
Any date for DBA 3.0 yet?

LES

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

david kuijt
11-15-2011, 11:42 AM
It is against the policy rules for the DBMM yahoo list to discuss DBA there. Yet the only news we ever get from the horse's mouth is over there, where we cannot ask go (due to their policy rules) to ask questions. Does this feel like Catch 22 to anyone else?

Xavi
11-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Considering that DBA has been talked there extensively, I would say that the restriction was floated quite a long time ago. Still, if you want to get offended at it and keep beating a dead horse 89and maybe dead rulebook), go ahead :)

david kuijt
11-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Considering that DBA has been talked there extensively, I would say that the restriction was floated quite a long time ago. Still, if you want to get offended at it and keep beating a dead horse 89and maybe dead rulebook), go ahead :)

If one quarter the people on this forum who have questions go over to the DBMM list and start to ask their DBA questions there, you can bet they'd start enforcing the restriction, Xavi.

Xavi
11-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Heh, I would bet that most of those people have already reached a state of "wait and see" or "to hell with 3.0" already, so not many people will go there and ask right now. :)

david kuijt
11-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Heh, I would bet that most of those people have already reached a state of "wait and see" or "to hell with 3.0" already, so not many people will go there and ask right now. :)

Probably. Like if we stop distracting the dentist, he'll finish the root canal? (The Novocaine wore off some time ago, and I just want it to be over...)

Bobgnar
11-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Is Phil offering unsolicited information to the DBMM players, or is he answering questions? I am sure many of those DBMM players are disillusioned with that game an yearn for the better DBA. At Fall in I got a copy of that game for reference and my mind was so twisted trying to figure it out, I just skipped to the diagrams. Some of those might be relevant to DBA -- how to move, how to shoot, how to form columns, etc.

Note that Sue watches the DBA list as that is her preferred game and Phil watches DBMM list. There is no reason to expect Phil to monitor the DBA, DBMM, DBR, and HFG lists? Those two operate as a team, sharing information and plans.

There are some who have thought I was being facetious when I wrote this before, but I am very serious.

Quasimodo

david kuijt
11-15-2011, 07:29 PM
I am sure many of those DBMM players are disillusioned with that game and yearn for the better DBA.

Ah, yes, the heartbroken longing of DBMM players for DBA, of course. Are you on crack? (my phrase of the day)

Spencer
11-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Ah, yes, the heartbroken longing of DBMM players for DBA, of course. Are you on crack? (my phrase of the day)

This has been used often enough that I think RUOC should become the appropriate nomenclature in our text messaging community.

Bobgnar
11-15-2011, 10:22 PM
I keep reading that they play big DBMM but do not like the small version. Waiting for the new version of DBA, which is why the stick their noses in the process.

Off to get some rocks.

Quasimodo

David Constable
11-18-2011, 06:43 PM
I have heard from a few people in the U.K. that while they like DBMM for big games they prefer DBA over DBMM100 for small games.

I have also been told be two people this seems common in Australia.

I still think I shall wait for Scott to buy copy, then borrow it.

David Constable

sue@wrg.me.uk
11-19-2011, 08:38 AM
I cannot tell you what the expected date for DBA 3.0 is. Currently Phil is working his way through the lists, checking them and adding extra references and information. Then I expect a final revison of the rules and the addition of diagrams. Once the rules are finsihed and sent to the printers, it will be about 6 weeks before they are on sale.

Once we reach that position, I will come back to this group and tell you. My "Start Ancient Wargaming" cannot be completed until I know what DBA 3.0 looks like. Two chapters are on my website (www.wrg.me.uk) and I have removed the 3rd chapter, the sample game, because it was pointed out to me that it is so out-of-date that it is misleading. It was written at a time when I intended the book to include 2.2 DBA rules and lists and I was persuaded to wait and revise it for 3.0. I needed some mechanism to explain what was going on and I chose a teenage brother and sister telling each other what to do. If you have a better idea, let me know and I'll consider it.

I find the delay very frustrating. I tolerate it because the end result is so much better. In addition to DBA, I am halfway through writing a 300-page book on family history, so I'll concentrate on that until Phil has finished the army lists. I notice he works faster when he's left alone to get on with it.

See you later.
Sue

Doug
11-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Is Phil offering unsolicited information to the DBMM players, or is he answering questions? I am sure many of those DBMM players are disillusioned with that game an yearn for the better DBA. At Fall in I got a copy of that game for reference and my mind was so twisted trying to figure it out, I just skipped to the diagrams. Some of those might be relevant to DBA -- how to move, how to shoot, how to form columns, etc.

Actually, some of us really enjoy DBMM. We also really enjoy DBA. They are two very different games. It would be nice if some of the basics (as per the diagrams) were the same so it doesn't hurt DBMM players brains - but not necessary.

Alan Lauder
11-19-2011, 06:16 PM
I cannot tell you what the expected date for DBA 3.0 is. Currently Phil is working his way through the lists, checking them and adding extra references and information. Then I expect a final revison of the rules and the addition of diagrams. Once the rules are finsihed and sent to the printers, it will be about 6 weeks before they are on sale.

[text snipped]

See you later.
Sue

Thanks for the update and clarifications, Sue. We eagerly await the results.

Alan

David Brown
11-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the info.

For some reason the sample chapters won't load up for me, i guess the problem is my dodgy old tech.

db