PDA

View Full Version : The First Crusade - A Two Player DBA Campaign

maerk
09-30-2011, 08:30 AM
dear fellow gamers,

my DBA-buddy Philip and I are currently playing a small First Crusade DBA campaign for two. He who liberates Jerusalem the first wins the campaign. You can find a short description as the top posting on my website http://sites.google.com/site/dbamaerk/.

Currently, Philip already stands at the gates of Antioch while I still linger around Dorylaeum (see below).

https://sites.google.com/site/dbamaerk/fotos-nicht-sichtbar/First_Crusade_Campaign_web.png?attredirects=0&d=1

Maerk

wargamer1972
10-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Sounds fun.

maerk
10-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Sounds fun.

Yes, it is fun! I especially like that we switch the roles every time we play; this way you always have the chance of revenging your last defeat.

We have yet tried these campaign systems for two:
- battlemaker http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/campaigns/campaignbattlemaker.html
- original DBA multi player campaign with scripted non-players

All of them are fun, but the system we invented for the First Crusade campaign is simple, fast and exciting - we like it.

Maerk

stonedzep
04-07-2014, 08:36 AM
hi there,

I was looking for a campaign system to play crusades!! I've been visiting your site but I'm not able to find the report you mention, maybe time has passed since then and there's new stuff in it place, is something still available to see?

also, would you recommend me some resource/book/expansion of rules/map where I could start my Holy Land campaign?

thanks a lot and cheers!

maerk
04-09-2014, 03:17 AM
Hi,
yes, I have taken the crusader campagne stuff from my website, as there are more recent news.

Here is what we did as a First Crusade Campaign DBA game for two players:
- the base is the battlemaker campaign system: http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/campaigns/campaignbattlemaker.html
- the active player always has IV/7 Early Crusader as his army
- the non-active player acts as the enemy army as stated below
- we chose four battles - both fictional and historical ones - to be fought in succession:
1) Byzantium, January 1097 against IV/1a Komnenan Byzantine on arable terrain (fictional battle)
2) Dorylaeum, 1st July 1097 against III/73b Seldjuks on steppe terrain
3) Antiochia, 28 June 1098 against III/73b Seldjuks on arable terrain. The Crusader Army has to choose the 3x4Bd option (almost all horses had died in the march to Antiochia)
4) Jerusalem, 13 July 1098 against III/65 Fatimids on arable terrain
I created a simple map to illustrate the locations of these battles and the path of the Crusader Army linking them

- both players start at Byzantium. They have to fight their way on to Jerusalem. The first to conquer Jerusalem wins the campaign.
- Player A starts as the Crusaders, player B plays the Byzantines in the first battle. If the Crusaders win the battle, player A advances his token to Dorylaem; if the Crusaders lose, player A's token has to stay in Byzantium and fight the Byzantines once again in his next round.
- Player B fights as the Crusaders against player A with the Byzantines. Again: if B wins the battle his token advances on to Dorylaem, otherwise it stays at Byzantium.
- Players A and B play the Crusader army in turns, each time trying to defeat the respective enemy played by the other player to advance on the map and to reach Jerusalem.

I still have the map I created for this campaign and can mail it to you - send me a PM with your mail address.

The best non-fiction book on the crusades IMO still is Steven Runciman's "A history of the crusades". For fiction, I recommend Alfred Duggan's "knight with armour" - if you can get hold on it.

Hope this helps,
Maerk

Gregorius
04-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Hi Maerk,

What an elegant system for a 2 player campaign. Must try it next time I am in Goulburm visiting MarkBB.

Cheers,

stonedzep
04-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Hi,
yes, I have taken the crusader campagne stuff from my website, as there are more recent news.

Here is what we did as a First Crusade Campaign DBA game for two players:
- the base is the battlemaker campaign system: http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/campaigns/campaignbattlemaker.html
- the active player always has IV/7 Early Crusader as his army
- the non-active player acts as the enemy army as stated below
- we chose four battles - both fictional and historical ones - to be fought in succession:
1) Byzantium, January 1097 against IV/1a Komnenan Byzantine on arable terrain (fictional battle)
2) Dorylaeum, 1st July 1097 against III/73b Seldjuks on steppe terrain
3) Antiochia, 28 June 1098 against III/73b Seldjuks on arable terrain. The Crusader Army has to choose the 3x4Bd option (almost all horses had died in the march to Antiochia)
4) Jerusalem, 13 July 1098 against III/65 Fatimids on arable terrain
I created a simple map to illustrate the locations of these battles and the path of the Crusader Army linking them

- both players start at Byzantium. They have to fight their way on to Jerusalem. The first to conquer Jerusalem wins the campaign.
- Player A starts as the Crusaders, player B plays the Byzantines in the first battle. If the Crusaders win the battle, player A advances his token to Dorylaem; if the Crusaders lose, player A's token has to stay in Byzantium and fight the Byzantines once again in his next round.
- Player B fights as the Crusaders against player A with the Byzantines. Again: if B wins the battle his token advances on to Dorylaem, otherwise it stays at Byzantium.
- Players A and B play the Crusader army in turns, each time trying to defeat the respective enemy played by the other player to advance on the map and to reach Jerusalem.

I still have the map I created for this campaign and can mail it to you - send me a PM with your mail address.

The best non-fiction book on the crusades IMO still is Steven Runciman's "A history of the crusades". For fiction, I recommend Alfred Duggan's "knight with armour" - if you can get hold on it.

Hope this helps,
Maerk
Wow Maerk

that's great stuff and thanks for your time and a so detailed answer, I'll pm you my address instantly, I was really seeking something to start with in such a beautiful setting like the crusades.

I'll have a look at the titles you mentioned.

thanks a lot and happy gaming!

maerk
04-10-2014, 03:12 AM
Stonedzep -

email sent.

cheers, Maerk