PDA

View Full Version : One small thing ...

guthroth
09-28-2011, 11:50 AM
If I could make one serious request regarding DBA3 it would be this.

Please. PLEASE abandon the urge to get it all onto 4 pages and use a bigger typeface.

I am sure that many mistakes and claims that 'Barkerese' makes no sense come about from the fact that the type in the 2.2 book is so small that people simply miss the punctuation when reading the book.

YIH,

Pete

Martyn
09-28-2011, 12:20 PM
If I could make one serious request regarding FOG3 it would be this.

Please. PLEASE abandon the urge to get it all onto 4 pages and use a bigger typeface.

I am sure that many mistakes and claims that 'Barkerese' makes no sense come about from the fact that the type in the 2.2 book is so small that people simply miss the punctuation when reading the book.

YIH,

Pete

Oh Yes, bugger the expense lets have lots of pages, diagrams and well formatted pages.

It would be good if this applied to DBA as well. :silly

Bobgnar
09-28-2011, 01:06 PM
What is the value of posting a request for FOG here, RBS does not read this forum.

JLogan
09-28-2011, 02:00 PM
I suspect guthroth meant DBA 3......Freudian slip no doubt:)

guthroth
09-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Oh bum.

:o

Yes, DBA of course. As anyone on the DBA list will know, I am less than enthused about FOG nowadays.

Apologies for the slip.

Pete

peleset
09-28-2011, 09:10 PM
No colour please, we're British!

Or since it's such a colourless grey offering, why not just make it available as a download?

Bobgnar
09-28-2011, 10:43 PM
I was wondering about getting DBA 3 mixed up with FOG as it is already being confused with DBMM by some.

I do not know about the type face, but it will be in the larger page size. There is a name for that in England, bigger the US Business Size (8.5" by 11").

I fully agree with the type size of 2.2 and earlier. I would make an enlarged photo copy for ease of use.

OzarkOrc
10-01-2011, 05:08 PM
That would be A4?

Not sure of the metric measurment, the computer usuallr reformats it at 94% to print on US 8.5x11" paper.

Martyn
10-02-2011, 07:30 PM
That would be A4?

Not sure of the metric measurment, the computer usuallr reformats it at 94% to print on US 8.5x11" paper.

Presumably v3 will follow DBMM which is printed in an A4 format, 297x210mm or 11.75x8.25".

Bobgnar
10-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Yes, thanks for the dimensions. That is the plan/ Also perfect bind, not saddle stitch like previous DBA, so no limit on page count. The army lists are getting quite large. And there are rumors of "diagrams" !

Presumably v3 will follow DBMM which is printed in an A4 format, 297x210mm or 11.75x8.25".

Martyn
10-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Yes, thanks for the dimensions. That is the plan/ Also perfect bind, not saddle stitch like previous DBA, so no limit on page count. The army lists are getting quite large.

Bob, do you know if the plan includes a single book including the rules and lists, as at present, or is there an intention to split them into two separate publications.

And there are rumors of "diagrams" !

Hoorah!!

winterbadger
10-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Yes, thanks for the dimensions. That is the plan/ Also perfect bind, not saddle stitch like previous DBA, so no limit on page count.

That would be huge mistake. Perfect binding is a nightmare for documents like rulebooks that need to opened constantly and often need to be held open to specific passages. The binding cracks very quickly and pages start falling out, and even before that, it's unwieldy and inconvenient. Games Workshop did that with some of its large rulebooks at one point, and the result was atrocious.

DBA is not stitched in signatures--it's stapled, which means that, at most, one has to add two pages (half a sheet) to page count, which in printing-cost terms is nothing. Even if the book were to become considerably longer, there are lots of other alternatives between stapling and expensive signature and hard-cover binding without taking the highly undesirable step of using perfect binding. A great many games that have medium-length rulebooks these days use spiral wire binding, which is one of the most desirable alternatives for any book that's going to be used for reference. Comb binding is an older option that had similar effect but was harder on the books--I think that's mostly fallen into disuse.

The army lists are getting quite large. And there are rumors of "diagrams" !

So PB is entering the 19th century--hoorray! :rolleyes

Kingo
10-03-2011, 01:39 PM
In a format that is easy to scan and copy :D

JLogan
10-03-2011, 04:35 PM
I do not know about the type face, but it will be in the larger page size. There is a name for that in England, bigger the US Business Size (8.5" by 11").

I fully agree with the type size of 2.2 and earlier.

Whilst I'm probably in the minority on this, I do not like this change to the larger page sizes, that was started with the DBMM rules and then the DBMM army lists. I prefer the older, smaller size DBA/DBx books; just simply because they are more convenient. I do agree about the type size of 2.2 being almost too small (esepcially as my eyes get older.....), but this can be increased without having to change the size of the book (as was done, for example, in the HOTT rules, where the type size is bigger than 2.2).

John

Redwilde
10-03-2011, 05:08 PM
And there are rumors of "diagrams" !
So PB is entering the 19th century--hoorray! :rolleyes

Yes, straight out of 1880. There will be very clear Venn Diagrams to help parse movement in ZOCs and Combat Outcomes.

Bobgnar
10-04-2011, 12:47 AM
I plan to cut my book along the spine and get it spiral bound. I do this with all rules, as seldom, if ever do they come that way. Most are perfect bound.

I do not have the DBMM rules, but the army lists have 78 pages and are stapled.

I know Winterbadger is an expert on book binding, but I stand by my statement that DBA 2.2 is saddle stitched. According to my book on printing,

Stapling through the centerfold, also called saddle-stitching, joins a set of nested folios into a single magazine issue; most American comic books are well-known examples of this type.

Martyn, I have head nothing to indicate a separation of the lists from the rules. There will be a later edition, with "How to Play DBA" included. That has been discussed already here.

Martyn
10-04-2011, 04:06 AM
I plan to cut my book along the spine and get it spiral bound. I do this with all rules, as seldom, if ever do they come that way. Most are perfect bound.

I do not have the DBMM rules, but the army lists have 78 pages and are stapled.

I know Winterbadger is an expert on book binding, but I stand by my statement that DBA 2.2 is saddle stitched. According to my book on printing,

Stapling through the centerfold, also called saddle-stitching, joins a set of nested folios into a single magazine issue; most American comic books are well-known examples of this type.

Hi Bob, the DBMM rule book, like the army lists, is stapled and has approx 60 pages.

Martyn, I have head nothing to indicate a separation of the lists from the rules. There will be a later edition, with "How to Play DBA" included. That has been discussed already here.

The updated ‘Purple Primer’ has been previously discussed, do I take it that a later edition will be the Rules and the Guide in one book or just that the Guide will be published later as a stand alone book, as was the original.

On the lists, I was wondering because the current versions of the lists run to a total of almost 90 pages. I do not know how long the v3 rules are but allowing for diagrams, BBDBA, Giant DBA, Campaign rules and the usual verbiage a single book is going to be fairly hefty. Not that I want the size to be a limiting factor but it did strike me that splitting the two might make more sense.

I suppose that is another aspect that we will have to await pronouncement upon.:???