PDA

View Full Version : Penultamate Draft - DBA 3 Book I Lists

Imperator
08-02-2011, 09:39 AM
From Sue:

"I attach the penultimate version of the Book One lists. Please put them in the Fanaticus site. Comments to my email sue@wrg.me.uk please.

http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/DBA3/LISTS_I.pdf

My current timetable is as follows:

receive comments on book one until 3rd August

Book Two - file posted 1st August, updated 4th August, comments until 10th August.

Book Three - file posted 7th August, updated 11th August, final comments 15th August.

Book Four - file posted 14th August, updated 18th August, final comments 20th August.

It's a tight timetable, but I'll do my best to keep up."

peleset
08-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Three out of four of my book I armies have changes.

SUMRULD
08-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Sue made a funny. At least I hope it was funny on purpose. The 1/54 Early Macedonians according to the most recent list I have seen now recruit all their Ps in Nubia and Lybia.

I am also a bit troubled by 1/52f EHG Athenian 540-449 BC. The list seems to be making the Ps Thracian but not the Ax. That just does not seem right to me.

Martin Smith
08-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Three out of four of my book I armies have changes.

Inevitable, I think. When lists changed from 1.1 to 2.0 I found I had to tweak quite a few of my existing armies - annoying but part of the process I guess. Hard thing was remembering just where certain figures came from.... and then trying to paint the 'new recruits' in the same style I used at the time.

Martin

woe is me....no more I/7c :eek

teenage visigoth
08-05-2011, 08:06 PM
woe is me....no more I/7c :eek

Martin, I/7d will be the place to be for the cool kids now.
Watch the skies..

(cough cough) (cheezy marketing attempt)

Martin Smith
08-07-2011, 05:29 AM
Martin, I/7d will be the place to be for the cool kids now.
Watch the skies..

(cough cough) (cheezy marketing attempt)

I/7d ??? Nowhere NEAR enough psiloi.............. wot u sellin' ??
M

Renaud
08-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Being more an egyptologist than a DBA gamer, I notice the following list:

I/22b New-Kingdom Egyptian Army 1199-1069 BC: 1 x General (LCh), 3 x charioteers (LCh), 3 x spearmen (Bd),
2 x archers (Bw), 1 x Libyans (Wb or Bw), 1 x Libyans (Wb), 1 x archers or javelinmen (Ps)

... and I wonder why the term "Libyans" is used. IMHO, it should better be "Foreign Auxiliaries", whether Sherden, Nubians, Shasou, Syrians/Canaanites or Libyans.

And I wonder also why same tactics infantry like Egyptian / Assyrian / Roman legionnaries belong to different categories in DBA (sometimes blades, sometimes spears). They had all basically a spear or two to throw, and then relied on their hand to hand weapon. But it may be is a trick of the game to get balanced lists.

Andreas Johansson
08-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Most Assyrian battleline infantry are Bd (Later Amorite) or Ax (the rest). It's only guardsmen and "long-shield spearmen" in the Later Sargonid list that are Sp. That said, I'm not qualified to comment on the accuracy on these classifications.

Regarding the Libyans, other foreing auxiliaries would be subsumed among the other troop types. Sherden as Bd frex. Rightly or wrongly, only the Libyans are thought to have fought in warband style.

Renaud
08-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Most Assyrian battleline infantry are Bd (Later Amorite) or Ax (the rest). It's only guardsmen and "long-shield spearmen" in the Later Sargonid list that are Sp. That said, I'm not qualified to comment on the accuracy on these classifications.

Regarding the Libyans, other foreing auxiliaries would be subsumed among the other troop types. Sherden as Bd frex. Rightly or wrongly, only the Libyans are thought to have fought in warband style.

Ok, I get it now. Even if we assume this warband monopoly (which is not shown in the battle scenes like the ones of Medinet Habu, where libyan allies seems more to be used as skirmishers), it should read

1 x (Libyans Wb or Bw) or clearer 1 x (Bw or Libyans Wb)

because Libyans had only few bowmen.