PDA

View Full Version : Dark Ages Britain campaign

Rich Gause
05-19-2011, 11:54 PM
I have finally convinced my Wednesday night gaming group to try DBA. They want to play a campaign. A couple have tried DBA before but they don't really know how to play. Looking at themes I can do 5 armies for I think I found a good one. I was thinking Britain around 650 AD. Armies would be II/54b Scots Irish, II/68b Picts, II/81d Sub-Roman British, III/19a Welsh, and II/24a Middle Anglo-Saxon. It seems like the armies would be fairly balanced without any huge mismatches. I planned on playing the Scots-Irish as they seem to be the hardest to play. Do the others seem fairly balanced? I was planning on giving everyone a base starting army of 13 elements so they can take all non-horde options in their field army but only use 12 per battle, pick any element to be the General for each battle and allowing defenders without 12 elements left to make up the difference with Horde or Psiloi up to the attackers number of elementsto keep from having unbalanced battles.

kontos
05-20-2011, 01:36 PM
From a historical standpoint, it is a great campaign. The armies should be about as fairly balanced as it gets but different enough to show the rock/scissors/paper aspect of DBA and its "elegance". Great luck with it, Rich. :2up

Rich Gause
05-20-2011, 01:41 PM
I like that there are no blades or knights......
My only concern is that the Welsh might be too powerful........
Wb vs all those Sp.

Pavane
05-20-2011, 03:28 PM
We played that as a 2Davids style campaign/tournament and the Scots-Irish won. Of course we used the movement based aggression factor, which helped, as well as the following special rule:
Dalriadan Navy
King Domnall Brecc was also overlord of the off-map Irish kingdom of Dál Riata, and possessed a large fleet of galleys to convey troops and patrol his dispersed territories. This mobility makes it more likely for the Dalriadan player to be able to intercept invading forces and gain terrain advantage in a coastal kingdom where no part is more than a few miles from the sea. As a result, foreign invasion of a province in the kingdom of Dalriada has an aggression roll one higher than normal; still a maximum of 4.
I remember it as being very well balanced. I have jpeg campaign maps for 6, 8 or 12 players that I am happy to share.

Mark Davies
05-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Wb vs all those Sp.
That'd be my concern. I wonder if they couldn't be handicapped somehow, something to reflect greater disunity or slighter resources.

Tony Aguilar
05-20-2011, 04:24 PM
That'd be my concern. I wonder if they couldn't be handicapped somehow, something to reflect greater disunity or slighter resources.

Make them roll a d4 for PIPS. :silly

Pavane
05-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Wb vs all those Sp.
Only the Anglo-Saxons would be challenged, but not overwhelmingly so if they take the 3Cv. I would fight the Welsh with Scots, Picts or Britons any time.

Rich Gause
05-20-2011, 05:33 PM

I plan on being fairly passive and intervening against anybody who is in danger of stomping the opposition too badly.

Darren Buxbaum
05-21-2011, 05:44 PM
That is a very balanced selection of armies. The Welsh won't be too strong being mostly Wb. All of the lists have supporting elements. So a frontage vs. depth becomes the challenge to master. Scots-Irish vs Welsh would be a great battle. The Scots-Irish should be saved for the best player to give greater challenge. They are highly mobile but don't pack much punch against the Sp heavy armies. I'm currently working on a similar project for my son dealing with the Viking invasions around 793 in the Isles. It uses the same armies plus Viking and Liedang except b list for Middle Anglo-Saxon.