PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts about board size change?

Obadiah
05-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if there is any thoughts in the new version of DBA to change the standard game area size from 24"? I am considering buying a DBA mat from the Terrain Guy at some stage and wondering if I should bother at this stage (I have already put any miniature painting/buying on hold).

Cheers.

Scott Russell
05-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Obadiah,
Board size is not one of the areas covered in the play test rules that we are given. I don't therefore think I am breaking a confidence by giving my opinion. I think you can safely assume that 24" square boards will remain legal. My suspicion (and I think the essence of your question) is that 30" boards will also be allowed.
Scott

david kuijt
05-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Sorry to disagree with Scott, but Phil might now be going towards 30" boards (as of three weeks ago or so).

No guarantees whether it will stick, of course.

Personally, I wouldn't buy much of anything for the next month or two.

Rich Gause
05-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Most of the games at Recon in FL were played on 30" boards. 24" boards seem really small after that.

Lobotomy
05-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Most of the games at Recon in FL were played on 30" boards. 24" boards seem really small after that.

That's what she said. :silly

Obadiah
05-02-2011, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the advice!

The aussie dollar is great at the moment and so I was looking at a purchase, but for the $15USD board it will cost me $15USD in postage it seems, so I didn't want to just spend money when the DBA world may well change.

Xavi
05-02-2011, 03:24 AM
Yesterday we tested the 30" boards. It was a "LH galore" event, true (7+ LH per army) but it felt so much better that I just confirmed my nagging idea that 30" was the way to go.

Electoral campaigns are great to get cheap wood planks to make the boards for free.

Xavi

maerk
05-02-2011, 03:52 AM
(...) I am considering buying a DBA mat from the Terrain Guy at some stage (...)

The terrain mats from the Terrain Guy are great! They are very easy to store and transport, they lie flat, look great and are a pleasure to play on. After my first purchase of such a DBA mat, my gaming buddy and I have made a joint order (still the postage fee was prohibitive..) and have got us more mats so we have different terrain and can combine the mats for BBDBA.

Maerk

canuckwannabe
05-02-2011, 04:02 AM
The good part with changing to 30" is that I will not bother to get some new boards and instead just play on whatever others provide, so no longer arranging the tournaments, just playing :) The downpart is that for the last years I arranged all tournaments in Sweden except one (arranged by Andreas J) so I doubt there will be much playing done.

Rich Gause
05-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Most of the terrain matts I see used at tourneys here are very thin either green or tan carpet from someplace like Home Depot cut to whatever size.

Bobgnar
05-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Sorry to disagree with Scott, but Phil might now be going towards 30" boards (as of three weeks ago or so).

No guarantees whether it will stick, of course.

Personally, I wouldn't buy much of anything for the next month or two.

My take on this is that more likely Phil will be going with optional board size. If someone must take advantage of a short term sale, get 36" square. You can always mark off 24" or 30" squares within this size, and play 25mm games too of HOTT and DBA.

Bardolph
05-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Having gone to 30" boards, it is difficult to go back to 24" boards, even with all foot armies. 24" just seems cramped in comparison.

As for boards, they're easy enough to make, can't see paying a lot of $$$ for one.
I made most of mine out of automotive carpet. Sold in rolls as replacement carpet. I prefer the tan shades, which I then paint using thinned acrylics in various shades of greens, yellows and browns and a 3" or 4" paintbrush till I like the effect. The auto carpet is small fibers, and ends up looking like a static grass mat. They lay flat, they roll up, they get shoved in the back of the car and come out ready to play. The stuff I bought came on 36x72 inch rolls, so I could only get 2 boards out of a roll, but it only ran me like $8 US per roll. I used the excess to make stepped hills to match.

Try your local automotive stores, or sometimes big box stores like Walmart or whatever your local equivalent is. The brand I like best so far is Ozite, some of the stuff I've found at Walmart is...inferior...imagine that. :silly
Ozite is also popular amongst the RC racing crowd to make tracks out of, so you might be able to find sources via RC clubs or websites.

Obadiah
05-02-2011, 04:49 PM
wonderful advice! Thanks. :up

Do you have any pics of your boards?

Bardolph
05-02-2011, 05:04 PM
I'll have to go charge the batteries for the camera but I'll post a couple.

Ok, animals fed, SO fed, camera charged and pics taken...
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w319/Bardspics/DBA/100_1315.jpg

24 and 30 inch boards made from automotive carpet. From the left: gray carpet, tan carpet, gray, and tan.
Fresh out of the car, so they're a bit wrinkled on the edges, but that calms down a lot once you put em out on a table and smooth them out.
I was under time pressure lol.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w319/Bardspics/DBA/100_1313.jpg

Gray and tan base colors.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w319/Bardspics/DBA/100_1316.jpg

Closer shot to show texture with some figs and my foam meat tray camp for reference.

Musashi
05-13-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm glad I made my 30" board last year. Who knew is that short period of time it would wind up getting so much use? lol

Funny how one year there is a fierce battle ongoing, and then voila the value of said inches just comes into play.

This gives me hope 3.0 won't be a total debacle.

Redwilde
05-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Oooh, thanks for the pix. I'll keep an eye out for Ozite.