PDA

View Full Version : Painting on hold!

neldoreth
02-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Honestly, I can't motivate myself to paint my unpainted stuff until I see DBA 3.0 in it's entirety... Anyone else feel this way?

n.

ferrency
02-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Honestly, I can't motivate myself to paint my unpainted stuff until I see DBA 3.0 in it's entirety... Anyone else feel this way?

Not me (yet).

My unpainted stuff is for DBA 2.2, and that's not going to change if/when DBA3 is released. I may or may not have to buy more models, that remains to be seen; but I expect that most of the painting effort I put in will not be wasted.

Even if DBA3 is released, there's no evidence yet that anyone in my area will play it.

Think of it this way: Do you really dislike painting so much that you don't want to paint or rebase a few more elements if your army list changes? If you do like painting, why worry: just paint.

On the other hand, I am making some procedural changes. I'm more likely to use crappy, inappropriate glue such as super glue instead of epoxy, to make rebasing easier. And right now I'm painting filler/morph elements instead of a new army.

In any case: I have events scheduled prior to any prospect of DBA3 existing, and I need to paint what I need for those events. I'm not letting DBA3 get me down, w.r.t. painting.

Edit: We all die eventually. Do you mean that until then, we should not live?

Alan

miros
02-02-2011, 05:42 PM
I haven't stopped painting but I do find myself spending more time painting stuff for other games. I also am not buying any new DBA armies, though I had slowed down my DBA purchases anyway due to the size of my lead hoard.

Richard Lee
02-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Must admit that I am tempted to concentrate on painting for DBN and HotT for a while. Mind you, part of that is that most of the DBA armies that I have to paint have no relevant enemies, painted or unpainted. Having said that, the Bruttian or Lucanian (II/8a) and the Later Bulgar (IV/25) armies got done this winter.

Tony Aguilar
02-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Yep, that's me. Of course I don't really enjoy painting as it has become a tedious solitary activity.

peachy
02-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Count me in the "haven't been painting for DBA proper recently anyhow" camp - all HoTT (even historicals) and/or DBA-RRR.

El' Jocko
02-02-2011, 06:37 PM

n.

That would only matter if you're planning to move to DBA 3.0. :)

- Jack

Pavane
02-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Yep, that's me. Of course I don't really enjoy painting as it has become a tedious solitary activity.
My sentiments as well. I think that I will switch painting my Feudal English BBDBA army to some Parliamentarian DBA-RRR figures I have on hand.

Venotaku
02-02-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm painting my first DBA army Alexandrian Macedonian for 2.2, if i need to rebase later or buy some more macedons it's not big deal for me i like the way my guys looks with some paint :up

Spencer
02-02-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm painting my first DBA army Alexandrian Macedonian for 2.2, if i need to rebase later or buy some more macedons it's not big deal for me i like the way my guys looks with some paint :up

Venezuela? How big is the DBA community there? I may sail down to visit.......someday......

Venotaku
02-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Venezuela? How big is the DBA community there? I may sail down to visit.......someday......

Well Spencer right now I'm the only one interested on DBA :(, but i hope some friends here want to try it in the near future, it's a hard way but someone have to be the first.

kontos
02-02-2011, 09:07 PM
There's always my Polish Renaissance and Flames of War Early Germans screaming for a paint brush so, no, DBA 3.0 doesn't hinder my painting at all. :up

Frank

neldoreth
02-02-2011, 10:35 PM

You need audio books!

n.

Stephen Webb
02-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Not only painting, also re-basing and especially purchasing new armies.

neldoreth
02-02-2011, 10:36 PM
That would only matter if you're planning to move to DBA 3.0. :)

- Jack

Unless of course everyone except me moves to DBA 3.0 :(

n.

neldoreth
02-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I should have said "DBA painting on hold", because I am still painting, but I won't start on another DBA army until things shake out... I imagine I'll know by August when the local convention games are planned as to whether or not DBA 3.0 has been picked up...

Still, Venotaku, I know what you are saying. If I had a killer army I really wanted to paint I would paint it anyway!

Thanks guys,
n.

geekmeter11
02-02-2011, 10:55 PM
I am more of the winter blues and just sucking at painting 15mm. :silly

Macbeth
02-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Currently it is the Junior Athletics Season that is keeping me from painting - I am the club statistician and the coach of the under 11 girls squad at our local athletics club.

Most of my spare time during the week is taken up with entering the results from the weekend's competition - then printing and sorting the next weeks results sheets :rolleyes

Once the season ends (mid March) I hope to get stuck into the Sung, the Nan Chao and the Post Mongol Samurai.

I really want to have my new Eureka Nan Chao army painted before DBA 3.0 makes the old one obsolete and unsellable :sick

Cheers

Andreas Johansson
02-03-2011, 02:17 AM
Haven't painted anything in the last couple weeks, but that's nothing to do with DBA 3.0, just by a conspiracy of stuff piling up leaving me with too little time and energy to paint.

Martyn
02-03-2011, 07:28 AM
At the moment I am painting so slowly (just finishing 4 elements of Cv started before Christmas :sick) that by the time I get round to basing any of the armies recently purchased we will have a better idea of where we are going.

I may need to buy a few extra figs to fill in some holes if lists do change substantially, but I live in hope.

maerk
02-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Prospects to DBA 3.0 don't keep me from painting, but I DO have displeasing thoughts. As a consequence

- for the Nikephorian Byzantines I'm currently workin on, I did a single 3Kn element in place of the 6Kn in the army list (might add a 2nd 3Kn element later, if necessary)
- for the same army, I have based the 8Bw elements as seperate 4Bw + 3Sp, both on 20mm bases
- next on my list is an Early Crusader army with a 5Wb element. I have no clue what will become of this element type in 3.0. Imho it should be Horde, so the basing would be the same, but who knows?:???

Jeff
02-03-2011, 09:15 AM
I am still painting my ass off. I have DBA three armies started and a large Hott army working. I guess I am assuming nothing bad will happen. I also am avoiding armies with different sized units such as 8Bw or 5Wb just to be safe:up

Jeff

miros
02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
You need audio books!

n.

I have been listening to the History of Rome podcast recently while painting. Very inspiring!

neldoreth
02-03-2011, 10:38 AM
- next on my list is an Early Crusader army with a 5Wb element. I have no clue what will become of this element type in 3.0. Imho it should be Horde, so the basing would be the same, but who knows?:???

I have one done already... I know exactly how you feel.

http://www.hourofwolves.org/images/armies/normanDBA/4_frankishPilgrims.jpg
Oh 5Wb, what does the future hold for thee?

n.

neldoreth
02-03-2011, 10:40 AM
I have been listening to the History of Rome podcast recently while painting. Very inspiring!

That's a great idea! Good quality podcasts are just as good as audiobooks! I had listened to various Ghengis Khan fiction when I was painting my Mongols, but perhaps in the future I should look into historical podcasts! Then after I'm done I can write an Army Notes article!

Thanks,
n.

Rong
02-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Since the army lists ARE changing, I am painting but not basing yet until I see the new army list compositions. Still painting Qin other, and Ming. My Hott and other elements done so far, : Persius and pegasus (on same stand), medeival hero, 2 Japanese samurai goblins, Macedoneian Elephant, Mongol type riders, polyphemus mounted as blade, and Qin HCH. Still to paint: mamluk muskets and artillery, samurai with musket and artillery, and 2 cool 15mm Elephants to be mounted as either wwg or artilery for a Ming RRR army (one has rockets and the other hand grenaders! :up ).

ferrency
02-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Oh 5Wb, what does the future hold for thee?

The current draft of Sue's basing standards says that it'll still be legally based, since all DBMM basing is explicitly allowed. If the push to maintain current figure counts suceeds, it's the same story: the basing will still be legal.

The only concern is whether this army's list still uses the warband element at all, and that's a concern independent of the basing standards adopted.

So is your concern about the rules changing, or the army lists changing?

I can certainly see that it's an easy time to become angry and/or depressed at the DBA3 situation. When I can avoid it, and I can't always avoid it, it's by concentrating on what we do have (DBA 2.2) instead of worrying about how it might change.

I'm really looking forward to Cross Roads, Cold Wars, Stoogecon, and other opportunities to play lots of DBA. I haven't had much chance to play since the kids are back in school.

Alan

neldoreth
02-03-2011, 11:14 AM
So is your concern about the rules changing, or the army lists changing?

It's the army lists for sure. I have seen this syndrome many times in the Games Workshop world; when news of a new edition or army book surfaces, everyone stops buying and waits...

Of course, GW figures cost hundreds of dollars, so you risk losing a lot of money on a small army list change... But a DBA army, what's another $10 to add a few more of unit type X or whatever.

Still, I will wait and see what happens before I do any more DBA related hobby I think. I will still play with what I have of course, but that's it I think.

n.

Tony Aguilar
02-03-2011, 11:28 AM
But a DBA army, what's another $10 to add a few more of unit type X or whatever.

It is my painting time that I find invaluable.

neldoreth
02-03-2011, 12:07 PM
It is my painting time that I find invaluable.

I agree with this as well... Time is becoming more and more of an issue for me as well...

n.

Redwilde
02-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Right now I'm organising and preparing lots of figs. Sorting a bunch of new acquisitions in to HYW armies. Upgrading them to wire spears. I'll hold off on painting this lot though til I see the final army lists. At that point, I may need to add more figures to make them 2.2. and 3.0 compatible just in case.

If I get back around to painting minis before then, I'll continue work on armies already in progress. English are 75% done. But meanwhile, it's been a binge of working on the railroad that's pulled me away from painting, not the turmoil in Barkerland.

Haardrada
02-03-2011, 03:05 PM
When is DBA3 expected to be released?

jcpotn
02-03-2011, 03:21 PM

In the fullness of time...:)

Jeff

neldoreth
02-03-2011, 04:45 PM

I do believe the plan is to release at Historicon in June. Pretty soon!

n.

Tony Aguilar
02-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I do believe the plan is to release at Historicon in June. Pretty soon!

n.

Well, we're saved for at least a year as Historicon 2011 is in July. :silly

Cromwell
02-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Now you tell me!!

Tonight I have just finished by DBA Ancient British Army!!:2up

Si2
02-03-2011, 05:23 PM
No hold up for me.
Finished my Alex Imperials off last night - the last unit of Companions.
I've got Gasgan army from Cutting edge all based up and undercoated, so they are next.
Then I'm on to my old Greeks, who are 80% done, but need finishing.

If 3.0 turns out to be rubbish, I've got three copies of 2.2 to keep me going...

Si

John Loy
02-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Well, since Sue is not only changing the basing but the actual elements themselves (Classical Indian Horde); I have put on hold sending my next batch of DBA stuff out to be painted.

Since a number of my armies aren;t painted (or based) by me it would be pretty much impossible to add a unit that looks like it belongs

And no, that Teutonic Horde won't fit too well with the Classics:sick

John

neldoreth
02-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Well, we're saved for at least a year as Historicon 2011 is in July. :silly

:silly June and July are all one blurr of insanity for me anyway, so I rarely differentiate between them :silly

n.