PDA

View Full Version : Legion 2011

stevie
10-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Hi all

I am trying to gauge interest for Bath Wargames Club's Legion 2011. In an effort to be a little bit different, who would be interested in a BBDBA competition?

Thanks

Stevie

Colin the Hittite
10-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Hello Stevie

I'm certainly interested in Legion 2011 - I have always enjoyed my visits in the past. Have you given us a date yet? If yes, please remind me, if not please publish ASAP.

As to a BBDBA competition; in principle it sounds interesting, but the games are, of course, much longer. How would we play it competitively in a day?

Colin

Scott Russell
10-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Stevie,
Happy to give it a go, although I do feel that BBDBA does share a disadvantage with most other wargames rules, viz. if you get yourself in a losing position, it takes a long time to lose! Also ipresume you would need system which would differentiate between grades of win as I guess you would only manage two or three rounds.
Scott

stevie
10-04-2010, 03:25 AM
Colin - the date is being negotiated with the hall currently - should be the same time-ish as last year, late April.

As regards scoring, I would probably take a look at the DBM scoring (though I know they normally play 4 rounds over two days), but any suggestions gratefully received.

Just an idea at the moment though. It could end up as plain DBA depending on numbers.

Stevie

Martin Smith
10-04-2010, 04:00 AM
Hi all
I am trying to gauge interest for Bath Wargames Club's Legion 2011. In an effort to be a little bit different, who would be interested in a BBDBA competition?

Given a choice, I'd always prefer 'standard' DBA, but that having been said, if it WAS a BBDBA comp, I'd still do my best to attend.
Martin
ps SURFS UP,DUDE !!

Diades II
10-04-2010, 04:02 AM
Would the intent be for BBDBA to be played as a singles or doubles event?
Interested either way, but on the basis of number of rounds, would probably prefer standard DBA.

David Constable
10-04-2010, 07:16 AM
For preference I would prefer maximum number of DBA games, preferably at least four (4).

David Constable

stevie
10-05-2010, 11:01 AM
So far I am picking up standard DBA as the preferred option......................Any advance on that?

David Kuijt
10-05-2010, 11:17 AM
As regards scoring, I would probably take a look at the DBM scoring (though I know they normally play 4 rounds over two days), but any suggestions gratefully received.

I strongly recommend using the NASAMW BBDBA scoring system. It is the gold standard in BBDBA tournament scoring; I'm not sure I've heard of any BBDBA competition in the last four or five years that hasn't used it.

David Constable
10-05-2010, 02:33 PM
So far I am picking up standard DBA as the preferred option......................Any advance on that?

Stick to it, it works, small, not much need for armour and weapons, friendly, if it ain't broke don't fix.

David Constable

stevie
10-07-2010, 03:52 AM
I strongly recommend using the NASAMW BBDBA scoring system. It is the gold standard in BBDBA tournament scoring; I'm not sure I've heard of any BBDBA competition in the last four or five years that hasn't used it.

David

Is there a link somewhere I can take a look at?

Thanks

Stevie

arnopov
10-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Amazing what you find on Fanaticus

http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/guides/NASAMWBigBattleDBA.html

If it's used directly with Swiss Chess, it's terrible, way too granular. If as a tie-breaker, it looks pretty good.

Ciao,
Arnopov

Scott Russell
10-08-2010, 09:46 AM
If you think "standard" DBA is the way to go (I agree) there are a few types of tournament which haven't been tried in the UK (or at least I haven't played them). The one where you bring a matched pair holds a lot of appeal. Bob and his dog describe the mechanism in a number of threads, but basically you play using your pair about 50% of the time, and when you do, your opponent gets to choose which of the two armies he uses.
Scott

Martin Smith
10-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Scott
Sounds interesting. I was going to suggest a 'theme', a bit like at PAWS, or the Sussex themes, or Book 1/2/3/4 only or suchlike...
Martin

Scott Russell
10-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Scott
Sounds interesting. I was going to suggest a 'theme', a bit like at PAWS, or the Sussex themes, or Book 1/2/3/4 only or suchlike...
Martin
Would be fine, of course. I was just trying to think of something a bit different. I have quite a few well matched pairs, but possibly some players couldn't manage to provide even one.
Scott

David Constable
10-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Would be fine, of course. I was just trying to think of something a bit different. I have quite a few well matched pairs, but possibly some players couldn't manage to provide even one.
Scott

Although I can field quite a few armies, I doubt that I have more than one pair that I could take to a competition that I would like my opponent to have the choice from.

By section is OK, at least you know the possible opponents, others could be by date (3rd century AD etc) or themed (at least one elephant).

David Constable

pawsBill
10-09-2010, 05:48 AM
I have quite a few well matched pairs, but possibly some players couldn't manage to provide even one.
Scott

This shouldn't be a problem really, if you think about it.

If you have a themed tournament, many players will have to paint an army to fit the theme.

If you have an unthemed matched-pairs tournament, everyone will have at least one army of a pair, so those without a matched pair beforehand will only need to paint one army to make up the pair. :2up